1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Computer Starting, Shutting down and Restarting

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by htorihpeS, May 9, 2011.

1. htorihpeS

htorihpeS Regular member

Right so I'm after building a new computer with parts in total costing 1500 euro. These include intel i7 cpu, gtx580 graphics card, 8gig ram and asus motherboard. I put everything together correctly but when I turn it on via case power button, it only stays on for 30 seconds, then restarts and stays on for well over a minute and then turns off and doesn't restart. If I then turn the power supply off and on again and press the case power button, the exact same thing reoccurs. The memok button flashes red but pressing it only causes it to blink but changes nothing. When I hook it up to a monitor, the monitor says "no signal". Everything is brand new and this is the first time it has been used. I bench tested it but the same thing occurs regardless of what's plugged in and what's not. The same thing happens if there is no ram in or no graphics card in. The cpu is in correctly and the cpu heatsink and fan are installed correctly. I tried the PSU in my brothers computer and it works fine so I'm guessing the PSU isn't the problem. Though it is an Ezcool PSU which isn't exactly the best make. I really need help with this and would appreciate any solutions you guys might have. Thanks.

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

try clearing the cmos as have found that to work sometimes to kickstart a stubborn system.

3. DXR88

DXR88 Regular member

give us some information on the PSU like the Model Number, its max output, stuff usually found on a sticker on the PSU. sounds to me like your PSU is saving you a whole lot of money by flipping its overload switch.

4. htorihpeS

htorihpeS Regular member

Its an Ezcool M700. It says 700w on sticker and 230v input. The 12v rail is 20a. It does the same thing though even with no graphics card in. It surely would have enough power only to power the motherboard and i7? Max power is 700w. Here is a link to the site I bought it from: http://www.dabs.ie/products/best-value-ezcool-ps-1000-700w-infinity-793R.html. Also my motherboard has an 8 pin power socket along with the 24 one put my PSU only has a 4 pin cable. The 4 pin goes into the 8 pin but is an 8 pin cable necessary to power an i7 2600?

Last edited: May 10, 2011
  5. AssKlown

AssKlown Regular member

Well, 20A on the 12v rail is NOT enough to power a GTX580.

You may be missing one of the power supply cables to the board. If there is an 8 pin socket, and your only plugging in a 4 pin, that may very well be your issue... may have to change power supplies and find one that has the correct number of plugs.

6. htorihpeS

htorihpeS Regular member

Yeah I think that's the problem. I'm ordering a new Corsair power supply and I'll let you know if it works then.

7. AssKlown

AssKlown Regular member

Wattage isn't everything, a High End PC can suffice on a 450-500w PSU. Its the amperage that you need to look for, as the higher the amps, the more "clean" power is being delivered. Typically the higher the amps, the higher the wattage is going to be.

I have a Corsair HX750 (I think), and it has 64 amps on the 12v rail. Enough to run 2 cards in SLI or Crossfire, and its a 750 watts PSU.

Check the connectors that you need, and try and get one with LOTS of amps on the 12v. That will ensure future compatibility.

8. ddp

AssKlown, 12v x 64amps = 648 watts.

9. htorihpeS

htorihpeS Regular member

I got the adata 1200w psu. It got great reviews. I'm still waiting for it to be delivered. I live in Ireland so not as easy to get things here. It cost 164 euro. I hope my computer works and that I haven't broken something.

10. DXR88

DXR88 Regular member

well your PSU kept flipping the internal breaker so nothing should be fried

Last edited: May 18, 2011
  11. AssKlown

AssKlown Regular member

12. htorihpeS

htorihpeS Regular member

I tried with new power supply but same problem. I'll explain clearly what I did and what's happening. I hit the switch on the psu and green light comes on on the mobo. I then hit start button and computer turns on for about half a minute and turns off. Let me clarify, the psu does not turn off. The computer turns off but the green light is still on in the mobo and then the computer automatically restarts itself a second later. It then stays on for over a minute and then turns off again. This time it does not restart unless I press the power button on the case. My graphics card is in, ram is in and cpu is in. The memok light is red. Pressing the memok button causes it to blink and it checks if the ram is compatible. This causes the computer to start and stop a few times and then it stops blinking and stays red. I changed the cap on the cmos jumper and reset the cmos but didn't change anything. There is no signal on the monitor. Once the computer is turned on, the power switch on the case doesn't turn it off. If cpu or ram not in, the mobo shuts off the computer in two seconds.

My graphics card is GTX580. CPU is i7 2600 (I know I should have gotten the 2600k). RAM is Corsair Vengeance. I've two 4gb sticks but only one is in. Mobo is asus.

Seeing as two psus do the same thing, the problem isn't the power. Here is what I'd like to know. Could this be a problem with the cpu or would the computer stay on that long if the cpu was damaged or not in correctly? Would the mobo shut off the computer if no graphics card was detected so maybe the graphics card isn't in right or the power to the graphics card isn't right? Could this be a short on the mobo but then why would there be no signal on monitor while computer is on? What do you recommend I do to pinpoint the problem? Thanks.

13. ps355528

ps355528 Active member

ddp 12v x 64amps = 768 watts

trust an electronics engineer ;)

now then.. about this 30 seconds or so then shutdown/restart.. are there any beeps or anything?.. if not pull all the ram.. at which point it should make like a scalded cat.. then try one stick at a time.. if still silent unplug everything down to just a mobo and cpu and psu and try adding one thing at a time.. ram.. beeps should change.. silence denotes faulty part.

14. htorihpeS

htorihpeS Regular member

I haven't plugged in the speaker thing yet. I'll do that now. So it should beep if problem not caused by faulty part and it shouldn't beep if problem caused by faulty part? I've tried it with only the cpu and ram in and it still did the same thing. Though would no graphics card cause that? If graphics card is faulty, it will be as if there is no graphics card in at all so same thing would happen.

15. ps355528

ps355528 Active member

It may or may not beep depending on the situation.. badly seated gfx card or duff ram can stop anything happening.. you should be able to google the beep codes for your mobo by it's number or bios.. Thats always my first step faced with a tower where nothing seems to be happening.. make it beep

Last edited: May 24, 2011
  16. htorihpeS

htorihpeS Regular member

So external speakers will beep if connected?

17. ddp

no. need onboard motherboard speaker.

18. htorihpeS

htorihpeS Regular member

It says in mobo manual that mobo speaker connector connects to four pins on the power panel but I don't see any connector. Should speaker connector come with case or mobo?

19. ddp

is there a black colored can on the motherboard with a hole on the top? what is the model# of the asus board?

20. htorihpeS

htorihpeS Regular member

Asus P8P67 LE B3 Revision. I know where speaker pins are on the power panel but I don't know what goes onto them. I don't think any speaker comes with my case or motherboard. I'll connect an external speaker. BTW, the computer now turns on for 3 seconds and turns off and restarts then stays on. When I short the cmos jumper, the computer stays on without turning off but when I turn it off and restart it again, it goes back to normal. My RAM is 2x4gb Corsair Vengeance. This mobo is compatible with it but memok light still shines red.

Edit: Tried with external speaker and it made no beeps.

Last edited: May 24, 2011