1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

new computer, video ipod not syncing music

Discussion in 'iPod discussion' started by sheebs, Feb 20, 2007.

1. sheebs

sheebs Member

hey
    i have a video ipod and ive used it before and have a crap load of stuff on there but then i got a new computer and ive tried getting my ipod to sync my stuff onto itunes, but it says im only able to transfer my purchases. so i tried to transfer the purchases but it says that im not authorized??? how can i get my music to get to my itunes?

2. keithyb

keithyb Regular member

I had the same problem after i reformated my computer. I found this Guide by Lethal B at the top of the forums. It worked pefrectly...so GO DO IT!!

Ok, This is a question that has been asked many times so I thought I would just clarify the ways you can move your songs back to your computer from your iPod. You may want to do this for a variety of reasons, ie computer change, backup purposes etc~

Before you do anything, make sure automatic updating of the iTunes library is disabled. This is very important to ensure that you do not update your iPod automatically and lose the songs that are on there.

To Turn off automatic updating ~

Upon connecting your iPod to your PC, press & hold Shift + Ctrl. This will stop the iPod from auto synchronizing and your iPod will appear in the source list. [This process will take anything between 3 and 30 seconds depending on the performance of your PC.]

Then you can right click on the iPod icon in the Source Menu and select iPod Options, then check the Manually manage songs and playlists box. You can now manage your library without losing any songs on the iPod. :)

You are now ready To Begin ~

The first two things I will show you are softwares which are proven to work in easily managing the music on your iPod

1. Sharepod
    -Free software

Here's how you get started.

Firstly, Download sharepod here ~ http://www.sturm.net.nz/website.php?Section=iPod+Programs&Page=Sh...

Then,

a) Hook Up your iPod to your pc via usb/firewire

b) The iPod drive appears in My Computer when you have the iPod plugged in to your PC.

c) Once you see the iPod's drive, copy the SharePod.exe onto it. Open the SharePod.exe and after a few seconds the main window will appear. If a window appears saying you need to download a file for SharePod to run, simply follow the instructions.

d) When the main window opens, it displays a list of playlists on your iPods. Double-click on a playlist to view its songs. You can either select songs or playlists to copy to your PC.

e) If you want to copy all songs on the iPod to your PC, select the playlist and hit the 'Copy to PC' button at the top of the screen. It will ask you where you want the music to go (eg. c:/music) and how you want the music to be formatted (eg Artist/Album/Song.mp3). Once you have set both of these hit the Transfer button and sharepod transfer your desired music to the location which you have selected.

f) From there, simply import your songs into iTunes in the usual manner of File -> Import.