1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New computer woes

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by SniperFox, Dec 31, 2004.

1. SniperFox

SniperFox Guest

Hello. I'm building a cheap machine for someone. The problem is I have hooked it all up and it will not show up on the monitor when I power it up. The video card is FX5200, the motherboard is a MSI K7N2 Delta. I try to swap video cards to see if it would display when I power it up and nothing. The power works, the cpu fan turns on but no video is displayed on the monitor or tv so I have no access to the bios. It is frustrating. My first AMD build and I can't make it work. The cpu is an AMD Sempron 2200+ socket A, with 256mb of PC3200 memory. Any advice is greatly welcome. Thank you for reading this.

No Help Needed Anymore, thanks anyways!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2004
  2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

learn & teach

3. dlc2000

dlc2000 Regular member

so what turned out to be the problem ?

4. SniperFox

SniperFox Guest

Ok where to start. First the problem with getting the video to display started a whole chain of bad events to follow.

The motherboard was working, at least giving power to everything plugged into it. I went threw the switching and swapping. Then decided to try somthing. The processor is a Sempron which came out more recent then the motherboards bios it shipped with. I found a safe jumper on the motherboard, wasn't labeled correctly in the manual, to lower the processor down to 100fsb, thought this might do it and it did. The computer was on, video was being displayed and I could access the bios.

New problem was now how do I get the new processor to run at 1.5g instead of safe mode 900mhz. It needs a bios flash, problem is they give you all these hoops to jump threw to set up a boot disc to flash it then they say don't use a boot disc to flash it. Make up your mind MSI. It was also booting slow. I found that the person set their slave master set up all wrong, was giving the motherboard a problem when reading the drives.

As of right now I have windows xp installed, using the MSI live bios update via the internet and with the new bios it is supposed to see the Sempron. The problem was an outdated bios and poor instructions of the functions of jumpers on the motherboard.

That will be all for today, class is over. lol

5. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

but disable the live bios update until need it as 1:could get virus into bios & 2: friend had live update done on both his & wife's boards & i have them now for spare parts & guess who the motherboard manufacturer was????

6. dlc2000

dlc2000 Regular member

ddp thanks for the heads up on the live update trouble . i have used the liveupdate for my asus board . its now disabled .