1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New computer wont boot

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by sniper128, Mar 24, 2007.

1. sniper128

sniper128 Guest

hey guys,
    i got abunch of parts and build a new computer.

i have an abit as8 mobo and v-500 power supply. on it i have a pentium 4 506 lga775 cpu.

i put it all toghether and nothing happens. There is normally an led that lights up even if you dont turn the computer on and its not lighting up.

when you plug in the mobo power there is like a high frequency sound...its not really a beep, but its a countinous squeak sorta.

any ideas?

2. elokito

elokito Regular member

seems the power supply is dead

3. sniper128

sniper128 Guest

well, no.

thats what i thought too at first, but i just bought it new and i was really pissed (cause i thought it was dead), but when i tested it out on my other computer it worked fine.

4. elokito

elokito Regular member

if the motherboard doesnt want 2 boot up and the psu is good the the mobo is bad

5. sniper128

sniper128 Guest

yea, thats what i thought too, but if you adjust the power in plug it powers up, but only if you hold it in that position. i dont know what the deal is, but when you do that all the lights light up and all the fan start spinning, but other then that nothing happens. nothing shows up on the screen, no beeps nothing. but you do get power to the cd drives, you can eject them (yay! atleast they work).

6. elokito

elokito Regular member

does it beep and is the video card plugged in right?

7. sniper128

sniper128 Guest

nothing happens. the video card is in right, it just boots and nothing happens. everything starts spinning and leds light up and then nothing, it just stays like that

8. elokito

elokito Regular member

try resetting the bios and hold the power cable and c if u get to c the pc boot up on the screen

9. sniper128

sniper128 Guest

yea, thats what i been trying to do. i think the power supply is a little to over exited. i tested it out with a smaller one and it seems to work alittle better, but its missing the 4 pin cpu connector so its a peice of trash (exept for mobo testing purposes)

10. elokito

elokito Regular member

a little better ? what results r u gettin?

11. sniper128

sniper128 Guest

well, ive ripped everything apart and im testing everything one by one, and everythings green. its starting to look like a connection failure somewhere. im think the hdd, but who knows.

ill post more when i finish testing

-thanks

12. sniper128

sniper128 Guest

hey,
    turns out the problem was that one of the screws were locked in too tight. i dont know why that would effect the mobo but it did. everythings good now.

-thanks for the help tho.

13. elokito

elokito Regular member

14. sniper128

sniper128 Guest

hey, im getting another problem.

everything is set up right now, exept when i boot it up i get the black screen of death. the screen just remains black.

any ideas.

15. uponthis

uponthis Regular member

That sounds like your video card. Anyway to try anouther one to see if you get anything on display?

16. sniper128

sniper128 Guest

its not the graphic card. i switched it out and it was still the same. im pretty sure its the cpu, cause i dont get the cpu beeps.

any ideas on the problem?