1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New computer wont start deja vu

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by JDee, Oct 31, 2011.

1. JDee

JDee Member

Oldest problem in history but I have some "new" questions so I dared to post...

What has happened:
    I put it all together and I got it working.
    Just changed the CPU cooler and started to get nasty odor and in one occasion blue sparks (this happened while I was trying to power up using another power unit).
    Got the MB changed and now everything is just dead. Got a little click when power switch is pressed.

I suspect that the casing is short circuiting (possible)?

Now, I have put together dozen or so computers over the years and I admit there has been couple of years since I built my last one. But... I read the manuals, remember to but the power on etc. And everything has always been sorted out by testing and changing parts.

Can I power up the the MB without it being attached to the case? Does it need to be grounded (is that even the correct term?)

Components:
    SSD drive
    Intel Core i7 2600K
    2x2 Kingston Valueram
    Seasonic X-400 400W power

Since it started once I wonder if I blew the power supply also?

Thanks for any replies

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

does not have to be connected to the case to test it out as i do that all the time. just power up the motherboard not any of the drives. try another psu to see what happens.

3. JDee

JDee Member

Ok thanks... maybe I just try without the casing first.
    Unplugging all cables, to try with another psu, is going to a b**ch since it is a tight casing and all cables are individually placed to ensure that nothing gets in the way.

Would it be sufficent just plugging the main 24pin connector and the extra 4 pin power while other cabels still remained attached to my older gear?

4. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

yes.

5. JDee

JDee Member

Well I plugged the wires and hit power:
    There was a miniature sun on the MB!

Since this is the second motherboard and straight from the store and reaction so violent I doubt I did something wrong. Lack of time has prevented me to study more closely the PSU I used but I'm quite sure I'm not gonna find another 4-pin connector that would fit to that additional power slot. So I'm left to wonder what I did and until I get another MB I don't have a chance to test further.

Sigh