1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Computer

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by Brice8989, Dec 9, 2008.

1. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

2. Brice8989

Brice8989 Member

Forgot to add its still doing the same thing. Is there an edit post button on here somewhere I'm missing?

3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Yes, to the right hand side of your message in the yellow bar.

4. Brice8989

Brice8989 Member

I'm using 8.12 currently. Does 8.11 have the fan speed feature? I know that was added recently don't know which driver version though.

5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I think it was added in either 8.10 or 8.11. Either way you can always use expertool to up the fan speed if necessary.

6. Brice8989

Brice8989 Member

Ok, I've got to go somewhere right now I'll try going back to 8.11 whenever I get home. I'll let you know how it goes and thanks for the help.

7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

No problem. Good luck!

8. Brice8989

Brice8989 Member

I installed the 8.10 drivers and the same problem is happening. After doing some research it seems this is a problem with a lot of people buying this card. It seems to me ATI just fudged up this card trying to put too much crap in it and not worrying about stability. After all, whats the good in having the most powerful card if it isn't stable enough to play a game for 5 mns. I don't know what to do from here it seems its just a hardware issue ATI made so waiting on driver updates won't do anything. There are a lot of people complaining about it do you think ATI might do a recall or something or am I just screwed with a 500 dollar hunk of crap.

9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

What? I own a 4870X2, as does another person here at aD, and neither of us have had any problems with it at all.

10. Brice8989

Brice8989 Member

Well when I searched it on google it was just forum link after forum link with pages full of people saying their 4870 x2 keeps crashing everytime they try and play something. Also they know its not a cooling problem like I know it isn't I have my temperature at 35C now. Theirs were in the range of 40-50 and still crashing. No matter what GPU and memory clock speed I set it still does it too.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2009
  11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I've never even heard of this, and I did substantial research on the 4870X2. Perhaps it is a problem specific to Sapphire cards - I'd find that hard to believe though, as the Sapphire card listed should be identical to the reference design.

12. Brice8989

Brice8989 Member

13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Hmm, I wonder if it has to do with Sapphire's own BIOS, and it not raising the voltages under load (resulting in the low temperatures you get, but instability as the voltage isn't high enough to run the card at full pelt). That seems a reasonable idea, but be careful flashing a graphics BIOS.
    Note: I don't know anyone specifically with a Sapphire 4870X2.

14. Brice8989

Brice8989 Member

Yea everyone is saying it's a problem with the bios but I don't see where I can find an update for them. You mind helping me this is the only problem left I have on my computer >.< and it's pretty bad now. http://www.vgaforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3&order=desc&page=2

Edit: that link is supposed to be the sapphire forums

15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

http://www.warhammeralliance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=118448

Do not use this, as it is not for the X2, but this seems to relate to the issue. I'm trying to find a fix for the X2.

Edit: Didn't manage to find anything in the end. Your best bet would probably be to return the card for a non-Sapphire version. Sorry to have got you into this, I didn't even know this problem existed. One last thing, is the card securely in the PCI express slot? They do not fit easily.

Last ditch, try setting Catalyst A.I. to advanced in the control panel. Don't know why it should help, but some people claim it fixes crashes.

16. Brice8989

Brice8989 Member

Yea I've tried reseating the card several times. Tried the catalyst AI thing already to. I just tried that fix anyway just in case but it didn't work. I did the non bios flash part.

17. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

In that case all I can really say is replace it for another card, it's probably faulty. I'd still say get another X2 (as they're way better value than GTX285s or GTX295s) but make it not a Sapphire this time... :p

18. Brice8989

Brice8989 Member

I had to cut the bar code off of the box for the rebate it had. Will that prevent me from being able to send it back? How would I get a different brand do I just send it to Newegg requesting a different one or what.

19. JaguarGod

JaguarGod Active member

For a return to Newegg, you would need the UPC. Once the UPC is gone, then any returns (really a replacement) would go through warranty. This means you would have to get the RMA from Sapphire. You should still try with Newegg, but contact them first. You will get a response rather quickly.

20. Brice8989

Brice8989 Member

So I basically just have to get another sapphire one........that's supposedly the problem in the first place.