1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Direct TV HD-DVR

Discussion in 'Digital TV - United States & Canada' started by sandytntn, Aug 1, 2006.

1. sandytntn

sandytntn Member

Does anyone know when new H20 HD-DVR is coming out?

2. Weirdo007

Weirdo007 Regular member

Haven't heard anything yet. I work for DirecTv and they haven't announced anything as of yet.

3. sandytntn

sandytntn Member

Wierdo,
    Thanks for the reply. Do u think I would be better off getting another H20 now and waiting on the H20-DVR or buy the H10-DVR and hope there is a good upgrade offer from Dave.
    Sandy

4. Weirdo007

Weirdo007 Regular member

The only thing the new HD DVR would do, is that it would be compatible with the 5 LNB Ka/Ku dish, which for the most part isn't even fully operational yet. I live outside the Cincinnati Metro area, and they have yet to begin broadcasting the local channels in HD over the satellite. I live about 30 miles out and still have to use an off-air-antenna to pick up the digital local channels.

I personally have the Hughes HR10-250 which is the TiVo branded HD DVR that we are still using for the current timeframe. I like it, and it satisfies me until the new HD DVR rolls out, even when that does happen I haven't made up my mind yet if i will get one since i am able to recieve all my HD locals via the antenna.

So it would pretty much be personal preference on if you wanted to wait until it does come out (keep in mind no time frame on when that is yet, that I know of) or go with another H20. Only difference between the H20 and the H10 is that the H20 has the compatibility with the Ka/Ku and would ready to recieve the HD locals once your local market got their end operational.

So if you are wanting a DVR for sure i would either go with the R15 *(Non-HD DirecTv model) or the Hughes HR10-250. ^^
    Or wait until the new one comes out.

a few links to some info i found:

http://www.engadget.com/2006/07/28/directvs-hd-dvr-coming-in-august/

Last edited: Aug 2, 2006
  5. sandytntn

sandytntn Member

W,
    Thanks, I have a non-HD DVR/sat box now and my Hughes HD box just conked out so I got an H20. I have the Network package (have a camper and a boat with SAT.) so I get the network HD already but would like to save the money when the locals come in HD and drop that. I currently can't record HD and would like that by Football season. Sounds like even after H20-HD comes out may be awhile before it would be of any additional use here in Knoxville anyway. So probably should just get the H10-HD box now. With the 5 LNB will more cables be required than with my oval Dish? I currently have 4 cables coming in from the dish and adding more would be near impossible.
    Thanks,
    Sandy

6. Weirdo007

Weirdo007 Regular member

No you would not have any additional cables off off the Ka/Ku dish. 4 standard lines just like the triple-sat dish. Only difference is size, it is a big sucker, about double the size of the triple and about 30 lbs heavier. That said i have not yet seen it used in any type of mobile application as the dish requires 2 addtional monopoles to help secure it and help it handle the added wind-load.

7. sandytntn

sandytntn Member

Thanks,
    Size and all won't matter at home, just the number of cables. My tracvision on the boat can already track 3 different satellites and I don't have HD on the boat anyway.
    Thanks,
    Sandy

8. Weirdo007

Weirdo007 Regular member

No prob and good luck. ^^ If you have any more questions feel free to ask ^^

9. VJbob

VJbob Regular member

I know that DirecTV and Tivo have parted ways a while ago. My HDDVR HR10-250 has Tivo functioning but no 'TiVo' logo. I was wondering when DirecTV will offically stop using TiVo functioning and if their own DVR program will be as good. I recently has Charter HD-DVR and the DVR was terrible (and only connected through component, not HDMI).

Also, what is spectacular about the upgraded HR20? Isn't it just more hard drive space? Until they come out with a portable media transfer player (like Dish) or a Tivo-to-go function, I guess I won't be upgrading soon. Plus the thing is about $400 which isn't cheap.

10. sandytntn

sandytntn Member

I went to get a DTV HD-DVR today and it does'nt have RF remote like the H10 and H20 so I did not get it. Why would they take the RF remote on the DVR model?

11. Weirdo007

Weirdo007 Regular member

@VJBob

The biggest thing about the new DirecTv HD-DVR, when it finally comes out is not so much any extra room but the mere fact that it will be compatible with the Ka/Ku 103 and 99 Sats. This will will enable it to utilize MPEG4 compression over the downlink bandwidth increasing the capacity for HD broadcasting.

To simplify it, no more off-air antenna to get your HD locals, and with the better compression they'll be able to deliver MORE HD offerings then the meager 9 or 10 channel that the HD package now currently has. The endgame is to have ALL of our package channels in HD and provide your local market HD channels via the dish instead of the antenna.

12. sandytntn

sandytntn Member

Wierdo,
    Do u know if it will have a RF remote like the H20?
    Thanks,
    Sandy

13. Weirdo007

Weirdo007 Regular member

Having not seen the new DVR I can't honestly say. I would think it would since the H20 has one.

14. VJbob

VJbob Regular member

about how long until they start broadcasting 1080p programming and making 1080p DVRs? I was thinking about getting a new HDTV at the end of this year but am not sure if I want to buy a new HD-DirecTivo for my second HDTV because a new improved or 1080p is just on the horizon. Any info or recommendations would be really helpful.