1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New dvd players will not play burnt dvds that my old one will.

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by eeriejohn, Feb 18, 2007.

1. eeriejohn

eeriejohn Guest

I have burning discs for quite a while on dvd-r using DVD decrypter or also dvd fab and shrinking with dvd shrink and then recording with cd burner xp pro 3. They all play fine on my living room dvd player. Which is a Philips dvp642/37. I have recently purchased a Philips dvp3150v/37 which I read only plays +r so I burnt a movie to a +r using the same format and I get a playback function may not be available for this disc error. Also my parents recently purchased a vcr dvd burner combo which is supposed to play -r and +r, but that too gets the same error as my new Philips. Will neither of these players play .vob files? Is there a way to burn that will be compatible with all 3 players?

2. 56delray

56delray Regular member

I looked at the specs on both those players.

Philips DVP3150V/37 DVD/VCR combo
    Media Supported
    CD-R, CD-RW, SVCD, DVD-R, DVD+RW, DVD-RW, DVD+R, CD, Video CD

Philips DVP642 DVD Player
    Media Supported
    CD-R, CD-RW, SVCD, DVD-R, DVD+RW, DVD-RW, DVD+R, CD, Video CD

Media can make a difference. Have you changed blanks.

3. eeriejohn

eeriejohn Guest

I have used multiple brands for the -r and they all worked fine in my old player. The + r I tried was a Maxell and worked fine in my old player but got the playback not available error on my new player.

4. 56delray

56delray Regular member

5. eeriejohn

eeriejohn Guest

Complete DVD Media Code =
    00 00 00 00 a1 0f 02 00 00 03 00 00 00 26 05 3f .............&.?
    00 00 00 00 00 00 07 43 4d 43 20 4d 41 47 00 4d .......CMC MAG.M
    30 31 00 38 23 54 37 18 00 3e 6e 00 70 62 15 15 01.8#T7..>n.pb..
    0b 0b 08 08 01 19 1b 0b 0b 0e 0f 01 00 00 00 00 ................

6. eeriejohn

eeriejohn Guest

I still don't understand why my parents new Magnavox dvd player, which is supposed to play either dvd-r or + r would not play any dvds on multiple brands, hp, Magnavox, or memorex dvds which all play fine in my old Philips.

7. 300bowler

300bowler Regular member

CMC Mag = Not good media and now u know why(99.9%) of AD members don't recommend Memorex,Imation,Prodisc or all the rest of the crap media that is out there.

maybe i can explain, even though two dvds of the same format(+ and -) for example Memorex(MID=cmc) dvd-r and Verbatims(MID=mmc) dvd-r they are far from the same in terms of quality(compatibility).
    sorry to say U found out the hard way, as many other people have too.

MID = Manufactors ID

So, Verbatims and Taiyo Yuden r the best media u can use, plus u can get them for the same price as the other crap media too.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2007
  8. rbrock

rbrock Regular member

Thats the way I learned the hard way I used any disc on sale and had to re-burn all my movies because they skiped froze and Legoed so bad you could not watch them, I cant find disc made in Japan so I only use Verbatim and they work great ,try them and you'll never buy any other brand (NO I don't work for Verbatim)

9. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

All those are basically crap media and dvd drives will have a harder time reading them.

No disc errors can be from either crap media or a compatability issue. These errors include: No disc,Dirty disc,Wrong region,Wrong format,and illegal disc.Usually it's a compatability issue-with tv stand alone recorders and pc dvd-rw drives. You've got +R/-R/+RW/-RW/+R DL/-R Dl. That's a lot of different formats.

You can also get that No Disc error with certain burn engines and sticker labels. Any sticker labels on those discs,rip them off and play them.

eeriejohn:

What's the brand name and model # of your pc burner?

It's harder to control stand alone player compatability with backups from a tv recorder,but not with certain Dvd-rw drives. There's booktyping drives that'll set the + format to dvd-rom,therefore bypassing the plus and dash format. After booktyping your backups,you'll have a higher stand alone player/pc drive/and game console compatability rate.

Stand alone players may not have that ability,so can't help you out there.There's a lower flexibility for them.

Let us know the burner info and maybe you got a burner that'll booktype.

10. eeriejohn

eeriejohn Guest

I am not sure of the make or model of my dvd burner. I have been using it for quite a while and all discs I have burned with it work great on every standalone dvd player until these 2 which are both dvd vcr combo players. Would that have anything to do with it? Would it matter if I burned them under Joliet rather than ISO?

11. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

I have no clue about juliet.I never messed with it.

Here's a program that'll tell you the info on your burner and it's freeware:

http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/dvd-r_tools/dvd_identifier.cfm

It should give you the model# unless it's a rebadged drive-then it'll list a generic string. It'll also give the current firmware version and the MID codes of your dvd media.

1 thing about stand alone players,some have a V mode and VR mode.Look for it on the menu screen and in the manual. Not many drives can play the VR mode.Make sure your parents are using V mode,and also finalizing/making compatable after finishing their backups.

12. eeriejohn

eeriejohn Guest

** INFO : Drive = (null) 16X8 DVD DUAL - [FW A05a] - [ATAPI]
    ** INFO : Write Capabilities = DVD+R DVD+R-DL DVD+RW
    ** INFO : Write Capabilities = DVD-R DVD-RW
    ** INFO : Disc = [DVD-R:CMC MAG. AM3]
    ** INFO : Reference Speed : 1x DVD = 1385 kBps
    ** INFO : An Writeable Disc Is Recommended For Accurate Results
    ** INFO : Write Speeds (Supported By This Drive On This Disc) Listed Below

** INFO : GET PERFORMANCE Write Speed Descriptor(s)
    Descriptor #1 = 5540 kBps ( 4.00x) - [CLV/Non-Pure CAV]

** INFO : MODE SENSE Write Speed Descriptor(s) [Legacy Command]
    ** WARNING : MODE SENSE Is Obsolete And Not Always Properly Supported
    Descriptor #1 = 4234 kBps ( 3.06x) - [CLV/Non-Pure CAV]

13. 56delray

56delray Regular member

I think you have a AOpen DUW1608/ARR DVD-Writer
    from the firmware listed in your log.
    Was there more info in the log?

If this is the writer u have
    it has not recived great reviews.

http://www.cdfreaks.com/reviews/AOpen-DUW1608_ARR-DVD-Writer/
    http://www.videohelp.com/dvdwriters.php?DVDnameid=658&Search=Search&list=2#comments

I have not used bitsetting [my writer does not have it]
    but I believe Nero will allow you to set the booktype.
    I am not at home and dont remember if DVD Decrypter
    will change the booktype.

14. 300bowler

300bowler Regular member

Yes dvd decrypter and IMGburn will booktype

CMC = not good media,

BTW u can't booktype -R disks u can only booktype +R disks.

So if u r gunna use crap media it would be best to buy +R and booktype them for more compatibility.

15. king54

king54 Guest

You can also change the region code. That might work. Just google region code plus the type of your DVD player

16. eeriejohn

eeriejohn Guest

I have changed the booktype on my drive to DVD-ROM and I am still having the same problems. Works fine in my living room dvd player, but I get the disk read error most everywhere else. Though it does work in a cheap portable dvd player and on my friend's home dvd player.

17. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Those el-cheapo $25-$30 players usually play anything you slap in them. That's what I use. Then you get those $3000 + denon systems,which absolutely hate dvd backups.

18. 300bowler

300bowler Regular member

Now u know why Memorex(CMC) are crap disks, even though u booktyped them they are still crap.
    Try Verbatims or Taiyo Yudens, u can get them for the same price as the crap dvds.