1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New DVD Shrink v2.3 User Guide

Discussion in 'AfterDawn feedback & suggestions' started by Oriphus, Jun 20, 2003.

1. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

dRD - I have created a new DVD Shrink User guide for you. Aren't i great. If you want to use this in the Afterdawn Guide section be my guest. It is very detailed and has step by step instructions. It can be found at this url

http://www.chrismccann.co.uk/dvd_shrink.htm

I have still to upload the DVD Shrink Re-Authoring section, at the minute its the DVD Shrink Full Disk mode only.

Let me know if you like it and want to use it, or if you want to change anything.

Cheers,
    Chris

2. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

Thanks mate. Would you hand out us the free rights to use it (no need to be exclusive, but allow us to use it as long as we can and make modifications to it if necessary)? From copyright perspective I need to ask :)

If so, I'll take a closer look and see if we can get it online after slight modifications ("afterdawnizing" :) relatively quickly.

3. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Of course dRD, i wrote it for Afterdawn (just mention my wee name at the bottom or something) ;-) I wrote on it copyright afterdawn.
    Im working on the Re-authoring aspect to it. Ill post here when its done._X_X_X_X_X_[small]Im gonna find you, and im coming to get YOU!

[​IMG][/small]

Last edited: Jun 21, 2003
  4. dRD

Thanks, I started wroking on a full disc guide based on your guide. Much of it is, as always rewritten, but the core is your and you'll definately get the credits for writing this one :)

5. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

cheers, im re-writing a bit of it. Im including Different levels of compression for different parts (features, main movie, extras, etc..)

Im also working on the Re-Authoring aspect of it. Ill post when complete

6. dRD

Okidok, I'll try to get the full disc version online within next 2-4 days.

7. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

No Probs, I now have the Re-Author version completed and uploaded. I have to finish Multiple DVD Titles on One Disc and then i think i am finished. What do you think of it so far? Is it detailed enough. Im sure you could probably write it better than i have!

Chris

8. dRD

It's well-detailed. I'll send you the version I've based on your guide before I put it online, so you can check it and have your say.

9. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Make sure to completely refresh http://www.chrismccann.co.uk/dvd_shrink.htm as i have put in a part on different compression ratios for different parts of the disc. The link to this section is located half way down the page around the area with the 4 green bars. i suppose this section should be more clearly marked, but ill leave that up to you!

My multiple titles section isnt very good. I haven't produced a DVD from a selection of other DVD's. Unless you know how to do this and have done it using DVD Shrink, i suppose we will have to leave it out until i get around to figuring that one out.

Cheers dRD
    By the way - what does dRD stand for?

10. Oner

Oner Moderator Staff Member

If I had to guess...Da Real Deal lol!

11. dRD

It's an abbreviation of my early 1990s nick that I used in Amiga scene. It got abbreviated during the period of 1993-1995 due various reasons and kinda stuck, nowadays it is just my nick, dRD.

Original meaning was -- and if you don't know scene history, back in late 1980s, early 1990s all kinds of "Dr. Whatever" nicks were extremely popular and I was a teenager without imagination ;-) -- Dr. Darkness. Obviously this got turned into "Dr. Dickless", "Dr. Dorkness" and godknowswhat :) Anyway, the dRD was born for various reasons -- it was shorter to write and most notably, when you uploaded files to AmiExpress BBS systems, you only got very limited amount of space for file desc and you kinda had to squeeze your nick into that as well, so you became clever very quickly or lose "r3sp3ct" ;-) Other reasons were also related to BBS systems -- used to have joined account with one other person and that posed a problem with the amount of letters you could use for one nick and therefor both nicks had to be abbreviated in order to fit them (within 12chars if I remember correctly).

Enough?-)

12. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

lol - too much. If i start calling you Dr.Dickless, do i get banned ;-]

13. DVDPro

DVDPro Member

dRD:

Are you the inventor of this software?? if so, I have used it 4 times, and it is absolutely awesome!! Yet, sometimes it would be great to delect unwanted sections by just a toggle click, if you know what I mean. Nonetheless, well done.

14. dRD

I am not the programmer of DVD Shrink.

15. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

lol - You should've lied ;-)

16. dRD

Nah, causes too much confusion. Over the years people have thought I've done SmartRipper, DVD Decrypter, Streambox VCR and godknowswhat :)

17. DVDPro

DVDPro Member

dRD:

Oriphus is right, you should have lied. I would have sent you $15 bucks. At least enough to go to the movies on. That Oriphus is a real friend to you. You should listen to Him/Her more often.

18. ddlooping

ddlooping Active member

Hi all. :)

Oriphus, I think I noticed a few mistakes in your guide:

"The higher the error margin (say 100MB) the greater the chance of a faulty disc being created."
    I think it should actually say:
    "The lower the error margin (say 10MB) the greater the chance of a faulty disc being created." ;)

Also, it looks like you used an image of Nero where it should be one of DVD Shrink in "Re-author" mode. :)

"Remember also that if there are more than one English AC3 2-ch, some of these could be fool length audio tracks."

Did you really mean "fool"? :D

Congrats for a great guide. :)

19. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

I've changed all three of those errors. many thanks my proof reading friend, maybe i should have done more proof reading myself.

Cheers
    Chris

20. ddlooping

ddlooping Active member

you're welcome. ;)