1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New fan installation help

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by neojapan, Apr 28, 2005.

1. neojapan

neojapan Regular member

Hello everyone I just purchased some extra fans for my computer and was wondering what is the best method to cut the acrylic window and install some new fans on it,I don't want to crack the window so I thought I would ask for some expert advice.thanks

2. p4_tt

p4_tt Active member

Am not sure how you would go around doing that without cracking the window, i sure couldn’t do it ;-)

As far as i know you can pick up windows with blowholes in them already for a good price.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2005
  3. baabaa

baabaa Active member

Well, I would make a template of what I wanted to cut out, in cardboard or something quite rigid.

Then I would get some masking tape (some that doesn't leave residue when it is removed) and cover the area you wish to cut out(on the inside of the case, not the outside)
    Place the template in position and draw around it.

Then I would get a scalpel or stanley knife and carefully cut it (on the inside portion of the line drawn), slowly and light pressure only.
    Keep repeating it all the way around (it will take time).

You will not have to cut it through as when the 'score' gets deep enough it will begin to free up and then just a little more patience and you will be through.

Then obtain a very small file, and then deburr the rough edges away leaving you with a smooth finish.

Remove the tape and clean with a good foam cleaner.................

Thats how I have done it in the past, but as p4_tt suggested you can buy them, don't know if you can buy them with 2 in though.

4. neojapan

neojapan Regular member

thanks baabaa i'll try that first and if I break it then i'll buy one with the holes already there

5. neojapan

neojapan Regular member

well i got it to work I just bought some cheap $20 drill and drilled away and then used a jigsaw was done in no time,it looks good to me

6. baabaa

baabaa Active member

LMAO.................I was going to mention the jigsaw route, but due to your post, I didn't get the impression you were into DIYing etc.....................

Lovely..................zip, zap and I bet you were done.............

7. neojapan

neojapan Regular member

i tested a electric jigsaw on another acrylic piece that I bought and it cracked(really bad)I ended up buying a hand jigsaw and that worked great.

8. baabaa

baabaa Active member

Testing is always good, I usually just dive in when diy/power tools are concerned, and always spend days rectifying the complete chaos I have caused...............LOL