1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Halo 2 Map Install

Discussion in 'Xbox - Software discussion' started by sjm96, Feb 4, 2006.

1. sjm96

sjm96 Member

How do I install a new map in Halo 2? Say I take Zanzibar, apply the ppf, resign it, yada yada yada. But instead of ftp'ing it back and overwriting the original Zanzibar, can I add it as a seperate map? As in, when I go to the maps, I see Zanzibar and Zanzibar_modded? I have Halo 2 on my HDD, so I can access all that stuff... I appreciate any help you may provide!

2. softmodd

softmodd Regular member

Just keep backups of the maps so you can replace the modded maps when you want.

3. sjm96

sjm96 Member

I know that, but my objective is that I can play the original or the modded at a whim; without copying the files back and forth from a backup folder or ftp'ing. Is there no way to edit the main menu to support extra maps?

I know when I download a map off of Memesis it adds the map, and does not overwrite ones already there. Couldn't there be a way to simulate that via ftp?

Last edited: Feb 4, 2006
  4. softmodd

softmodd Regular member

I have never tried but you might need Halo 2 on your Hard Drive and open the map in DotHalo and there is a Add map to menu button or something like that and if you have backups of everything you might want to try it.

5. sean1532

sean1532 Member

On your computer

1. Make a copy of the map you want to add to the main menu. For this tutorial, we'll use Zanzibar.

2. Apply a .ppf, or mod Zanzibar, and sign the map.

3. Rename Zanzibar.map to something of equal letters, say Z4nzibar.map. You can not add letters, but it is possible to make shorter value letters, but it will be more complex in later steps and I highly recommend not to do it.

4. Open the map in a hex editor, I recommend you use Hex Workshop.

5. Near the top of the map, you should see this:
    Code:
    Scenarios\Multi\Zanzibar\Zanzibar

Now, assuming you turned your maps name to Z4nzibar.map, you should change that line into this line:
    Code:
    Scenarios\Multi\Z4nzibar\Z4nzibar

6. Just for safe purposes and to prevent typos, copy *Ctrl+C* that line for later.

7. Save the .map in Hex Workshop *Ctrl+S*.

*Optional* Make a .BAK file when prompted.

8. Sign the map again.

9. Now open your Main Menu.map in DotHalo.

10. Go to the Globals tag [matg].

11. You should now see a new window pop up along with some blank lines. Near the top of this window, you should see a drop down arrow. Click it. Now click any of the numbers, and you should see what you normally see in-game *such as Map Name, Description, etc.*.

12. Go to the first number in the drop down section that is not used, or any that is not used. *the Value section should be -1*

13. Put a number that is a multiple of 10 *130,140,150,etc* in the Value section. DO NOT USE 10-120, THEY ARE ALREADY USED. Also put this number in the "Next Value?" section.

14. Now, in the Scenario Name section, put the Scenario\multi\ whatever you had before, for the sake of this tutorial, as long as you followed the steps, it should be:
    Code:
    Scenarios\Multi\Z4nzibar\Z4nzibar

15. In the Name, Name [English], Name [German], Name [French] section, put whatever you want your map's name to show up as in game in these sections.

16. Now under the Description, Description [English], Description [German], and Description [French], put whatever you want the text under the map to show up as in game. These past few steps should make you end up with this....

[​IMG]

17. Sign the Main Menu.map

18. FTP the Main Menu.map back to your XBox's HDD, and the Z4nzibar.map too. Make sure they are both under the Maps section of wherever you burned Halo 2.

19. Fire up the Xbox and have fun!

Also check out my site that is in my sig!!VVVVV

Last edited: Feb 5, 2006
  6. sjm96

sjm96 Member

I get as far as opening up mainmenu.map in DotHalo. How do I get to the tag editor? Can you send my the DotHalo tool? All the links online are broken and I don't think that the one I have is the most recent...

7. knizzle

knizzle Guest

if the tag editor doesnt automatically open, just go to windows at the top of the dot halo toolbar next to help. Just click on the tag editor and it should open

8. jeff5051

jeff5051 Member

hey when i add a new map to the mainmenu will i be able to use it on xbox live with friends????

9. sjm96

sjm96 Member

OK, I got it to work... You have to use the tag navigator and then double-click on "global\global".
    Thanks a bunch. You a truly a god among hackers!

10. Resso

Resso Member

I tried it and n ow none of my maps will load... help me!!!

11. Resso

Resso Member

oh it loaded... it took 5 min to load a MP map! what happened? (Zanzibar loaded)

now I tried the one I patched and I failed to load the map!! WTH?? help

Last edited: Feb 12, 2006
  12. pez4life

pez4life Guest

i know how to mod zanzibar but it wont let me put it back into the folder after i have dun wat i want plz help

13. sjm96

sjm96 Member

You have to copy and paste into the folder. It will make two copies of Zanzibar.map, but if you signed the modded one it will use that.

14. dejahboi

dejahboi Regular member

can some one send me tag editor?

15. hawaii18

hawaii18 Member

how do u make a copy of some of the maps or the game i am a total noob at this all that i have accomplished is softmodding the xbox now i just need to learn how to mod the games can someone help and what is this ppf and ftp thing plz help i am a major noob

16. hawaii18

hawaii18 Member

can someone send me a hex editor and some ppf or ftp stuff plz thx

17. hawaii18

hawaii18 Member

well people give me some help plz i wanna mod my halo 2

18. sjm96

sjm96 Member

PPF is a file that you apply to a map file. It changes physics, models, weapons, etc. FTP is file transfer protocol. It allows you to transfer information over a network. You use this to transfer data to your Xbox. You will likely need a router.
    Google for guides on how to FTP first. Also, is you Xbox softmodded or hardmodded? What is the dash?

Last edited: May 21, 2006
  19. helpme33

helpme33 Member

emm guys......when i open dothalo in winrar and then try to open dot halo.exe it says ____The application failed to ainitialize properly (0xc0000135). Click on Ok to terminate the application_____ its a application error or somtin has this happned to u i cant get to tag editor please help!!!!!!!!!

20. sjm96

sjm96 Member

First install the latest .Net build from M$ and after that if it still doesn't work just find another download because that one is corrupt.