1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Hard Disk Procedures

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by BankerBoy, Feb 21, 2005.

1. BankerBoy

BankerBoy Member

I have decided to get into the world of video editing-- downloading MiniDV format, edit and covert/burn to DVD. I quickly came to the realization that my 20G hard drive (with only 7G open) would be inadequate for this undertaking. Currently running XP with multiple user accounts, plenty of user files, including mp3s. What is the easiest way (with only one CPU) to move files to the new hard disk? Should I burn onto CDs? What are some of the pitfalls I should expect after installing the new hard drive? Can I just re-install XP? (no liscense issues)

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

if getting a new bigger drive, it might come with a disk to allow you to clone old hd to new hd & with all the extra space avaiable to store info. if new drive does not come with disk can download from manufacturer site. if cloning hd than no problem with xp issuses. keep old drive as slave on secondary cable

3. jaydeeX3

jaydeeX3 Guest

get your new hard drive, hook it up as a slave, and use Norton Ghost Utility, using that program will mirror the image from your first drive to you slave...therefore, you have an exact copy of your first drive.... but you need to have Norton Ghost first..if not you have to do it the long way.... i use Norton Ghost all the time for people who need this done.....

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 21, 2005
  4. BankerBoy

BankerBoy Member

Thanks to all for input. I was also advised independently to use the Norton Ghost utility. Question, what is my result if I go this route? I have 20G drive now, bought 250G drive. Will I end up with C: D: E: drives to utilize all 270G? Is there a way to keep it seamless and just have a C: directory only?

5. ddp

when ghosting you can have it go to partition or disk, so if disk than c: drive is 250gigs not 270 as 2 different drives

6. BankerBoy

BankerBoy Member

Thanks again. I got the drive in (Maxtor 250G 7200rpm w/16Mb cache) --$99 what a deal! Anyway, I truly want to use this drive only for the video editing. I set it up as a slave -- and really don't see the need to "ghost" the two drives as one. Any downside to NOT "ghosting"? Again, I can manage all of my other data files on the original 20G boot drive.

7. ddp

if using new drive as a slave than no need to ghost info to it

8. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

Yes, speed!!! Why in the world would you not want to use that new drive as the master? It is way faster and all in one. That 20 gig has what as a spindle speed? 5400 at best and probably 2mb cache. Use the 20 as a slave for file dumps, etc. not as a master. That’s like saying you had an offer to go to a P4 3.8 but were still happy with your Pentium II 450. No comparison between the two drives and doing a Ghost is very easy.

9. BankerBoy

BankerBoy Member

I hear you Scubabud, but what will I notice being faster? I'm not a gamer, don't run any high-end disk-intensive apps. I have been told that it is best to keep a separate disk for video editing. I'm open to suggestion, and yes the 20G drive is s-l-o-w in relative terms, but I am leery of the downside for doing my new hobby (which I know nothing about yet)....

10. ddp

your the 1 who has to decide whether ghost old hd to new hd & use new hd as master & old hd as slave. depends on if you are comfortable to do that or not

11. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

You will notice it for every thing you do. I am not a gamer either. Don't be afraid of trying something new like Ghost or Drive Image, etc. It's easy to do and you will probably use it to do a full backup of your drive just for security purposes also.

Besides you already have the new HD and cannot mess up your original so what do you have to lose. What a shame if you don't.

12. BankerBoy

BankerBoy Member

Thanks--I'll try it...

13. CKY_2084

CKY_2084 Guest

Well for one you will notice a great deal of speed in loading programs, copying and moving files as well as searching. Your apps will load a lot faster on the new HD compared to that 5400rpm drive. Also you will probably be moving files and copying files a lot so that will be sped up quite a bit.