1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New HDTV questions

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Chomp, Jan 10, 2007.

1. Chomp

Chomp Member

1. Did I get a good deal?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...CategoryId=pcmcat95100050044&id=1134703181720

$575 for display unit with two dead pixels.

2. The TV says its highest resolution is 1366 × 768 yet it is capable of 1080i. I thought 1080i had 1920 × 1080 resolution, or is it more complex than that since it's interlaced?

3. There is a single USB port on the side labeled "service." What is this for, and what sort of cool things could I do with it? (ex: run programs or video off USB drive, install new firmware, etc.)

Thanks!

2. bjhgames

bjhgames Member

How does it look and sound?
    The price you paid is good but what is important is functionality.

I bought the Olevia 26" for about the same price a year ago. It is supposedly a little brighter than yours but you can't always trust the manufacturers specs. The sound is so bad on my set that I had to purchase a separate sound system. My picture is good but I have to sit almost directly in front of the set. If I sit or stand off to the side, the picture is hard to see. The manufacturer states a 180 degree viewing angle but that is simply untrue. Olevia also states that their sound is close to the best on the market but to me it sounds like it's being channeled through a long hollow metal pipe or tube. It's just plain awful.

3. Chomp

Chomp Member

I think the quality is pretty good for the price. I obviously don't expect perfection from it, but it looks good. Refresh rate seems low, although I don't see it in the specs. I was watching football games today and they get the ghost figures after movements sometimes.