1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

new here....mpeg videos to

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by seanea, Feb 28, 2003.

1. seanea

seanea Guest

I am a total computor mong so please be gentle with me, I have some music videos - mpegs, and I would like to put them on a disc so i can play them in my dvd player in my room, my dvd supports mp3s and dvd-r, dvd rw, how can i get my mpegs to play in it...
    thank you in advance...

2. Blatz

Blatz Member

the first thing you have to do is make sure that your dvd player can play vcd's as well as cdr's because that's the format they will end up in. If it can't then there is no point in even trying to burn the vcd.

If it can then first thing you have to do is download nero burning rom off the net or kazaa just make sure it's version 5.5 or greater. in the wizard select video and vcd and try adding the files. If it says the files are in the wrong format exit and convert the files first. (though nero can convert most files to vcd format for you it's not the best quality)

To convert the files download TMPGenc from http://www.tmpgenc.net/ install. check the properties of the source video and look at the frame rate. open TMPGenc and select the vcd format that has a frame rate that matches the source video ( if the source is 25 fps. then select the 23.976 fps NTSC option[it will be converted]. the PAL method is for europe). in the next screen select other settings and under the video tab at the bottom change from normal to the highest quality(very slow) (this may take longer but picture quality is much better). then move to the advanced tab and under the video arrange method select full screen (keep aspect ratio) or the video might be squished in one way or the other. next select the output file name and begin encoding. ( if you are doing large files aka. movies you will have to cut the source file when encoding using the source range setting on the second screen of the wizard)

if for some reason the output file has no audio in it then you have to do this first:
    -download virtual dub
    -install
    -open program and load the source video into it
    -under video select direct stream copy
    -under audio select full processing
    under audio select compression and selct no compression (PCM)
    -under file select save avi and select a filename I wouldn't overwrite the source incase erros ocurr

This is now the source file you should use in TMPGenc to encode.

**After encoding the video(s) run nero again and under vcd setting add the videos untill you run out of room on the cd, or run out or video then burn. if you followed this process corectly no matter what the situation you shouldn't have a problem encoding any video and burning to a vcd. This may seem a little long winded but remember i've covered every situation you might run into, or at least i've ever run into** hope this will be of some help to you and you'll be able to decode my mumble jumble to usefull info

3. coolunme

coolunme Guest

I'm also new here. I like this tmpgenc but keep ketting invalid pointer errors either while incoding video or setting the start end frame. Uing WinXP with alot of juice. Any help would be great.

4. Dela

Dela Administrator Staff Member

coolunme, Try this

In TMPGEnc, click option - environmental settings. Click "CPU", turn off SSE and SSE-2. This should have automatically disabled the use of floating point but lets check. Click Setting and click the quantixe matrix tab. Make sure that use floating point is NOT ticked and try and encode again.

NOTE: With some cpu's, encoding without SSE - SSE-2 may take a long time!

5. coolunme

coolunme Guest

Della,
    Thanks. I have amd 2700 xp with 333mhz frontside. I'll have to try this tonight and post back.

6. Dela

Thats good ye but call me dela not della i aint a woman u see!

7. coolunme

coolunme Guest

Oops...didn't mean to question your manlihood.I figured since they're both pronounced the same....

I tried that and everything seems to be running smooth so far. Now I have a good dvd rip of the 2 towers. Both are 700megs each in avi format. Both are 640/272 pixels
    Audio=135kbps Format mpeg layer3
    Video=23fps data rate 136kbps
    Both are xvid compressed.
    I have already extracted the audio using virtual dub thanks to your help in this thread.
    What is the process for encoding this to maintain it's aspect ratio(widescreen)and good visual quality. I don't care how long it takes or how much disk space. I'd really love a step by step. I know I'll have to cut it to fit a 800meg cdr. Maybe you can gice some pointers for that too.
    Thanks again.

8. coolunme

coolunme Guest

I meant 700mb cd-r

9. Dela

Well the best thing to do is use the tmpgenc wizard to create you (s)vcd by clicking file - project wizard. When you come to an option called other settings, click it and first change motion search precision to "highest quality". then click the advanced tab and change video arrange method to "full screen (keep aspect ratio)", that will keep it widescreen or whatever it is!

10. Dela

Oh yes and also when its completely done, click file - mpeg tool and click merge and cut. click add and add the mpg you just encoded in. click edit. you will see 2 buttons "{" and "}". they mean start selection and end selection. you can scroll to anywaywhere on the mpeg and click{ and then acroos somewhere else and click }. then click ok and type new filename like part1.mpg or something. change the type to mpeg-1 video cd if needed also. click run. do the same for any other cuts you ned to make.