1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

new home theatre PC

Discussion in 'Home Theater PC' started by ralphnew, Dec 2, 2004.

1. ralphnew

ralphnew Member

Ok, I have a room 14x22 and want to do it all with my PC. Here are my current specs:

Asus A7n8x mb w/ AMD XP 2400+ and 512 memory
    Pioneer trayless DVD player
    Lite-on DVD burner 8x +-R/RW
    Logitech cordless and optical keyboard and mouse
    120 gig WD HD
    80 gig WD HD

All-in-Wonder 8500 with remote

I am debating the purchase of a soundcard (Soundblaster Audigy perhaps) with a set of speakers that can do well in that size room. I want to do music, movies, games, and tv if possible.

Any advise would be much appreciated!

Thanks

2. EvilSS

EvilSS Member

You may have trouble finding speakers that are self-powered that will work in a room that big. Klipsch would be your best bet there. Another option would be to add a reciever/amp with a digital connection to the PC. That way you could use regular speakers and drive them with the reciever.

Either way, you will probably want a good sound card. They don't cost much, and are worth it if you don't have a digital out on the onboard sound system.

You may also want to think of ditching the AIW functionality for a dedicated TV tuner card. The AIW lacks hardware MPEG encoding, and if you to use the HTPC as a DVR, you will want this.

If you plan on using Windows MCE as the OS, get the Microsoft remote. It's about $40 and worth it if you are using MCE.

3. TUCDivx

TUCDivx Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2005
  4. def&blind

def&blind Member