1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Life for Old Caddy

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by attar, Oct 9, 2015.

1. attar

attar Senior member

I have a couple of El Cheapo internal disk caddies and I wanted to install one in a Dell PC.
    This caddy had no power switch or LEDS.
    It's a kind hybrid oddity in that it has a SATA data connector and a Molex power connector.
    I started by popping out the flimsy lock mechanism and inserting a double pole switch in it's place.
    Cut the Molex Red/Yellow leads and fed the 5V/12V power into the respective poles of the switch, then the output contacts of the switch to the caddy side red/yellow wires.
    Since there was no power indicator on the caddy, I also fed 5 Volts from the switch output to a LED/resistor combination (power return was to the 5V ground (black) wire).
    All connections were soldered and heat shrinked.
    The wiring I used was 24 gauge solid strand (3 amp?).
    Since I'm only using a small SSD in the caddy, I thought that would suffice.
    Drilled a 3/16 hole above the switch and popped the LED into it -it's bright but the case sits on the floor so there's no blinding glare.

Modified another one (it had separate power and data LEDs, but no switch).
    Used stranded wire from a defunct power supply in this instance: I use it for HDD as well SSD.

Clipboard011. dell 004.

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

the 2 blacks are just ground as in not 5v or 12v ground but just ground. open a psu & you'll see all the blacks soldered to the same ground plane.

3. attar

attar Senior member

What about disk activity - whereabouts is it located and is it possible to attach a led to it directly or does it have to be buffered or driven - or will it all end in tears?

4. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

the hd led of your desktop might also show the activity of the caddy drive.

5. attar

attar Senior member

It does, but it's pinhole size and not obvious.
    I looked into it more.
    This particular caddy has a disk activity led, but it only works when using a conventional HDD - it doesn't work on an SSD.
    Browsing around, I see refences to the voice coil motor on a HDD as the pickup point to show disk access and since an SSD has no motor, that may be why it doesn't work.