1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New modem, old router, no connection

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Adamsdr3, Feb 25, 2016.

1. Adamsdr3

Adamsdr3 Newbie

I bought a new modem and I'm having trouble getting it to connect to my existing router. Everything was fine before I installed the new modem. Router isn't even detecting the internet connection from the modem. I know that the modem isn't the problem because I don't ahve an issue running an ethernet cable from the modem to my computer. It just doesn't work from the modem to the router. Is there something wrong with my router/network? Do I need to get a new router? As far as I can tell, there's no such thing as a compatibility issue between a modem and a router.

The modem is a Motorola MB7220 and the router is a netgear WNDR4300v3. Physically, everything is connected correctly. There's a coax cable from the wall to the modem and an ethernet cable from the modem to the router. The WiFi network is there, but I haven't been able to configure the router. Netgear's network genie doesn't detect the connection.

I should also note that the issue HAS to be the router because I can get a connection on my laptop with an ethernet cable directly from the modem. I cannot get a connection with an ethernet running from the modem to the router and an extra cable from the router to my computer.

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

did you leave the router on when setting up new modem?

3. Adamsdr3

Adamsdr3 Newbie

Yes. And I've cycled it on and off a few times with no changes.

4. ddp

turn both off at same time, disconnect coax cable from modem, count to 20, turn both on, reconnect coax cable, restart computer(s).

5. Adamsdr3

Adamsdr3 Newbie

No change

6. ddp

I presume you have the Ethernet cable coming from the modem into the yellow port in the router? have you tried another net cable between the modem & router?

7. Adamsdr3

Adamsdr3 Newbie

Yes. And I have tried a different cord. I've tried it with Ethernet from the modem-router-computer with no success as well as just modem to router on wifi. No success. The only thing that works is directly from the modem to my computer with an Ethernet cable.

On the modem, the light is orange when connected to the router but green when connected to my computer

8. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

I hope that ddp gets you up and running. Did you reinstall the software for your router? Did you reset the router?

No clue if either of those will help, but it is what I would do, right before I smashed the router. :)

9. Adamsdr3

Adamsdr3 Newbie

I just did a factory reset on the router to clear any settings that might be conflicting with the modem and there's no result...

10. ddp

why did you buy a new modem?

11. Adamsdr3

Adamsdr3 Newbie

I bought a new modem because it doesn't make any sense to lease a modem from my ISP when I can just buy one and make up the cost difference in like a year.

12. ddp

I agree on that. any of your friends have a modem & a router to see if your router still works as you already proved that the modem works directly to a computer?

13. Adamsdr3

Adamsdr3 Newbie

unfortunately, no. I'm still relatively new to the area I am in. is there a way to run a connection test on the network to see what is connected to it?

14. ddp

that test won't work as does not show communication with modem which you want. try this, disconnect all cables from modem & router with both turned off, count to 20, turn on modem, reconnect coax cable to modem, turn on router, reconnect Ethernet cable between modem & router, reconnect Ethernet cable from router to computer if hardwired.

15. Adamsdr3

Adamsdr3 Newbie

No connection. When the modem is connected directly to my computer, the ethernet light is green. when the modem is connected to the router, it is flashing orange. The router doesn't even recognize that there is something in the ethernet port because the light doesn't light up.

as of right now, the only way to get a connection is to plug in the modem to my laptop.

16. ddp

get a new router.

17. Adamsdr3

Adamsdr3 Newbie

It doesn't make any sense tho. Why would this happen just because I changed the modem?

18. attar

attar Senior member

I know next to nothing about modems, but I recall once my router lost the login information provided by the provider and it had to be re-entered - but it wasn't cable, so don't know if that applies in this case.

19. Hrtbrkn

Hrtbrkn Member

Did you read your router instruction manual for troubleshooting?

20. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

Most probably neither are compatible with one another,causing communication issue which is why you can't see it.My situation is a little different as i had to get a network switch to get around the problem i had as the modem/router unit (poor mans version of a standalone router) no longer worked after switching from adsl to vdsl with the new vsdl modem.

Only option is get into the modem & the router via the web browser (separately) & see if any settings there can be changed,or get a network tech out,actually i think member hearme0 (< not sure if spelling is correct) mentioned he was a network techie