1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New modem, old router, no connection

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Adamsdr3, Feb 25, 2016.

1. Adamsdr3

Adamsdr3 Newbie

Update: I bought a new router (it's linksys) and I'm having the same issue. So maybe it's the modem. The instruction manual for the modem only says plus in an ether net cable, coax cable and the power cord....it's kinda useless. I haven't been able to find any other threads experiencing a similar problem so maybe it is just the modem...it just doesn't make sense that it would work Fromm the modem directly to my computer but not through at least 1 of 2 routers....

2. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

3. Adamsdr3

Adamsdr3 Newbie

This is going to sound really dumb.....

Originally, I tried unplugging everything and turning them both on at the same time and then reconnecting.....What I had to do was disconnect everything and then start up just the modem with the coax and power, no ethernet attached. Once it initialized, I connected the ethernet from the modem to the router and I was good to go. I don't understand why it didn't work turning them both on at the same time.....but at least it's good now.

4. ps355528

ps355528 Active member

Right.. down the rabbit hole we go.. this nonsense is being caused because the router is issuing dhcp addresses.. and no doubt the isp modem wants to do that job itself.. in the settings for both look for "dhcp" and turn one of them off..

your fix is the clue.. both were trying to issue an address to the wire between them.. and conflicting.. having the dhcp up on one then powering the other meant it got it's address from the running dhcp server and didn't then try itself :D

5. aldan

aldan Active member

you know,come to think of it i had to do this when i set up another router as a wireless access point.this is why we love you ps.

6. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

you have to love her or she will use that double headed ax on you?

7. aldan

aldan Active member

think i dont know that?

8. ps355528

ps355528 Active member

"Kame Hame Ha" !!!!

*sniggers*