1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

new motherboard won't let windows recognize the sata drive

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by bklyn1028, Jan 30, 2005.

1. beanboy07

beanboy07 Guest

schwaggy, I see you have Asus mb. Your boot device after installing sata drivers for windows should be a scsi drive or something like that for priority to boot from. It may be an option as second or maybe third device as is on mine.

2. Schwaggy

Schwaggy Member

Tried that and it installed them but didnt recognize it still! I did read the thread and found nothing helpfull! I might not have explained enough! Windows Xp Media Center is currently installed on the SATA drive! When windows loads I get a message that says "Generic Host Process for Win32 services has encountered a problem and needs to close!" I think it is from some necessary files running from the wrong drive.....In Windows Explorer ur main OS drive should be listed first mine is listed fourth. I know most of the processes are running from the correct drive but I need to find out exactly wich processes are running from the wrong drive, and fix them! If this cant be fixed than I will just format 2 drives and start over!

3. beanboy07

beanboy07 Guest

Alright, I'm not exactly clear either on what you're trying to accomplish or what your exact setup is but I'll take a shot. Do your ide drives have an os on either one. If so then disable the other drives in bios as being installed and or as a boot device. Then there should not be any conflict on which disk to boot or sharing any running processes for windows. Trying to sort out which processes are being shared between two drives and os's sounds to me a nightmare I would not want to sort out. If this was any help at all... I don't know. May have to resort to your second solution. Wait, futher read your last post trying to boot 2 os's?? Check setting in bios to allow os2 boot??

4. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

os/2 is ibm operating system. last one i think is warp3??

5. beanboy07

beanboy07 Guest

ok so i learned something. Thought os2 was a meaning of booting 2 operating systems.

6. ddp

dual boot has nothing to do with bios but teach & learn

7. Schwaggy

Schwaggy Member

Sorry guys I figured it out! I guess I had to download files to make a floppy disk with the sata drivers on them! When I booted from the windows xp cd, I hit F6 and when it asked to specify the mass storage device I wanted to install I put the floppy in and that worked! Windows then recognized the SATA drive! I was able to successfully install windows! Sorry for inconvenience!

8. Schwaggy

Schwaggy Member

Sorry guys I figured it out! I guess I had to download files to make a floppy disk with the sata drivers on them! When I booted from the windows xp cd, I hit F6 and when it asked to specify the mass storage device I wanted to install I put the floppy in and that worked! Windows then recognized the SATA drive! I was able to successfully install windows! Sorry for inconvenience!

9. The_OGS

The_OGS Active member

@ Schwaggy, bkln1028 said
    Well it doesn't really stop and ask - it gives you a fleeting opportunity to impose 3rd party SATA drivers. (Could easily miss it :)
    Glad you guys are sorted out.
    Joe is happy now?

10. bklyn1028

bklyn1028 Regular member

yes joe (me) is happy now....first time i built my own system...with all of your help of course....and finally got it all working...did it all for Doom 3....sick huh.....lol

11. ddp

teach & learn

12. Schwaggy

Schwaggy Member

I know I feel like a retard! I did read just not enough! Sorry everyone who wasted brain power on me!

13. ddp

R.T.F.M.D.(not meant as an insult but Read.The.F**king.Manual.Dummy). if in doubt, ask.

14. Schwaggy

Schwaggy Member

as a matter of fact manuals arent very direct towards explaining things! They are very general, and usually for mobos it tells you how to set up the mobo and not install windows!

15. Schwaggy

Schwaggy Member

as a matter of fact manuals arent very direct towards explaining things! They are very general, and usually for mobos it tells you how to set up the mobo and not install windows!

16. ddp

no windows manual??

17. Schwaggy

Schwaggy Member

didnt get 1!

18. ddp

on xp cd??

19. Schwaggy

Schwaggy Member

U are right ddp Windows CD has a help file! But if I didnt ask the question what would you guys have done? This is a site for people to ask questions no matter how dumb it is! I again apologize for asking such a dumb question! "Mistakes where made and admitted!" All is good!

20. ddp

like i said on previous post if in doubt, ask & you were in doubt so you asked, that's why we are here to teach & learn