1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Optorite Burner Issue

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by smiffff, Feb 11, 2005.

1. smiffff

smiffff Member

I had an Optorite 8X burner (which died), and Newegg replaced it at no charge with the new DD1603 16X dual layer burner (God bless Newegg, can I get an amen?). The only problem is my PC recognizes it as 'generic 16X burner'. My question is: since it doesn't recognize the mske/model, I can't update the firmware. I tried both available upgrades, but I get a message saying it doesn't match my burner. Any suggestions? I've been a member for a while, and get most of my questions answered with a simple search. So thanks to all you gurus out there. I've referred several buds to your forums as well. thx in advance.

2. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

stuff like this happens if it's a really new burner. Burning progs like Nero address this kind of thing in newer updates

Rich

3. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Why would you update the firmware on a brand new burner?
    Were you having trouble burning?

I've had my burner since november,04 and there are several updates for it,but I don't have any burn issues.I wouldn't want to take that risk.

4. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

OptoRite always shows as Generic Burner in device manager. That has nothing to do with upgrading the firmware. Just go to their site, (http://www.optorite.com/_english/web/2_service/2_firmwares.php)
    to get the latest firmware and also the how to's of upgrading it. I also have an older OptoRite and it also needed a firmware update since it was in the package at the store for a time. My newer burner which I've had for a couple of months has also had two firmware updates.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2005
  5. smiffff

smiffff Member

I wasn't having any problems, but it kinda bugged me. I had to upgrade my other drive to fix a problem, and when I tried to do the same here, it wouldn't upgrade because it wouldn't recognize the drive. I even upgraded my bios with no change. I did update Nero and follow Scubabud's recommendations,and that upgraded it, but still reads as a generic 16X. I guess I can live with it. Thx guys. You helped me on 3 copying issues in other threads already this weekend.

6. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

You're welcome. "Don't worry bout a ting" with the Generic showing in your device manager. Since OptoRite makes this burner and sells it under many other names, it is programmed to say "Generic", not OptoRite. It isn't your PC naming it.

Good luck with it since mine never gave me a bit of trouble. I only changed out mine for a faster one with DL option but still use it in one of my other PC’s.