1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New PC build oppinions.

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by dazila, Jan 6, 2008.

1. dazila

dazila Regular member

He paid about 20au for it anyway LOL! of his sisters boyfriend.
    If this 8500GT lasts no more then 1 1/2 months Id be happy because I want to buy a 3870 Afterwards about 370au.

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

370, ouch, better start saving.

3. dazila

dazila Regular member

The good thing is I still dont have anything to pay :D, Im 15 turning 16 and Im going to high school but I work Casual at mcdonalds and on these holidays (Australia) ive been earning about 200au a week and all of it stays to waste on whatever.
    SO this PC will drain my bank LOL! leave 10au, then I will earn around well if I dont call in sick on Saturday LOL! im thinking to do so because I need time with my new PC, then I will earn about 200au so maybe even earlier then I thought, then I'd sell the 8500GT get maybe 90au for it if I leave the box and etc.

4. dazila

dazila Regular member

5. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

You know what? Just go get a cheap graphics card for now. Don't spend too much, get a non overclocked one. OC it yourself. You say you're going to buy a 3870 later anyway, so why spend lots of money before?

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

There's no point buying a pre-overclocked graphics card. If you can get big gains off one, you could get big gains off the normal one.

7. dazila

dazila Regular member

Well its all ordered already anyway, but yes I will try to get the 3870 in well Id say 2 months since some of the games I want to play on PC I know can run for sure this will take me to about Late Feb Gt5: P comes out I have to import it :S but that Will take me away from the PC but I should buy a monitor and new graphics around the same time.
    But Overclocking the 8500GT Super even more which I will do, that from benchmarks ive seen COD4 on an overclocked 8500GT running medium at 1024x768 4xAF 0xAA, gets Min:41fps Max:185FPS and Avergare:91fps I guess If I did this and I maxxed graphics Id still be pulling enough FPS to run it without lag, like the main games I want to play now are:
    Pro Street
    DIRT
    COD 4
    Toca Race Driver 3
    Sims 2
    and a few others but DIRT on the benchmark the OC 8500GT runs; on Low 800x600 Min47, Max 62 AVG 52 I guess i could turn it up to Med and get playable FPS.
    But Just one thing is oevrclocking a 8500 to 688mhz GPU core, 1728mhz GPU shader clock, 972mhz memory clock a big overclock or avergae and is it easy to do? liek use ATi tool or something?
    Well just check here for the OC table thing and tell me http://www.madshrimps.be/?action=getarticle&number=3&artpage=3084&articID=642

8. dazila

dazila Regular member

I have got the Pc now my final part list is:

Intel Pentium Dual Core @2.01ghz E2180
    Asus P5K SE
    Sound Blaster 5.1
    Pioneer 111D
    XpertVision 8500GT 512mb Super
    Thermaltake TR RX2 550W
    160gb IDE 7200rpm Segate Barracuda
    2gb 667mhz DDR

Thats all just one problem with on board sound it always had a high pitched backround "eeeeeee' type of sound so my cousin went out and bought a soundcard the Soundblaster 5.1 and its fine now I guess a fault?
    And with that comment "Whats the point of buying a graphics card when you cant play any games?"
    Well So far I have tried a few new games;
    COD 4 PLaying it great game and runs with not a single stutter at anytime at fully high all high options on at 1024x768
    Crysis Havent tried it myself but cousin put it on yesterday, at 800x600 mixed settings mainly medium a few on high it ran with a little lag some parts like in the plane and parachuting down at the start ran smooth.
    NFS Pro Street 1024x768 Maxed out everything on ran without a stutter well the first career level atleast with 8 cars on a circuit with crowds etc.
    Infernal runs on all maxxed everything 1024x768 with no lag at all
    Hitman Blood Money maxxed out all options the highest 1024x768 no lag.
    Tried Ghost Recon 1 but thats nothing special looking anyway no lag on it or Toca Race Driver 2 Prince of persia warrior within also no lag, still have to try Sim City Societies.
    But So far im really happy and no overclocking to the CPU at all and the CPU is amazingly fast even for cheaper one it does not feel like it.

9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

800x600 Medium, honestly. I'm amazed you stand up for that graphics card, I really am. Considering how much the 8500GT Super costs, it boggles the mind, it really does.

10. dazila

dazila Regular member

Owell, I wont die without crysis I would rather play COD 4 seems better.

11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I agree with that one, but 8500GT Supers are what, $80 in the US? An 8600GT would be much better no matter how far you overclocked it and no more expensive.

12. dazila

dazila Regular member

Just one question is the sound blaster Live 5.1 alot worse then the 8 channel Realtek Audio on this board?

13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I personally would prefer to use any Creative card over any Realtek integrated audio, no matter which versions of either.

14. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Is dazila from the US though? If he is than the 8600GT was only 10 dollars more...

15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

That's kind of my point, I'm not sure. In the UK I think it's even worse.

16. dazila

dazila Regular member

No Im in Australia the differnce was about 30 or 40au, but the games I want to play run great on high so its good for now but man the differnce between this and my old PC WOW!, this PC never struggles you can alt tab in and out of This Gen games with no lag or anything to get to the desktop it just does it and even with other things running in the backround, with Norton 2008 Internet security it feels like it dosent even have an AV running it runs like without it.

Well the soundcard seems good dont know what was wrong with the built in one but im happy with this one its very clear not a single bit of backround sound with this one.

The Motherboard got changed last minute from thegigabyte one because apparantly with the parts I got some had compatibility issues so they got this one for same price even though its more then the gigabyte one, but so far its running good apart from Onboard sound its an Asus P5K SE maybe someone knows if there good or not?

Thats it now Im going for a screen one screen which I have seen at a store, well Aldi its a 22" Widescreen LCD Monitor 5ms response rate, HDMI, DVI for 349au its medion branded but im thinking of buying it if not might go for this one;ViewSonic VA1912w 19" LCD.

17. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Hehe, aren't dual cores great? You can't say that's your graphics card mate, because it just isn't!
    As for onboard sound, it happens, and used to be very common - sound distortion was caused by electrical activity in the chipset being too close to the sound production part of the IC. Most of the time that's solved now, but any gamer should still be using a sound card of some degree, though there's no need to go as far as an X-Fi.
    As for monitors, what you need to consider is that a monitor is something you're looking at every time you use your PC, so you need to love it. I've had good experience with Viewsonic stuff in the past, but I'd also like to recommend Samsung screens of that size.

18. dazila

dazila Regular member

I dont have alot of desk room so im worried about the 22" im thinking maybe 19" if you have had experience with them are they good enough or?, to me since im using an old 15" CRT :( anything would do but dont want to do something dumb because unlike the graphics card this will have to last me a few years.

19. dazila

dazila Regular member

is acer good and 16:9 or 4:3?

20. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Hence the "of that size" rather than recommending the 226BW like I usually do... :p
    Unfortunately I've no personal experience of "normal" size LCDs, but you could go with a 20" widescreen model like this one:
    http://www.techbuy.com.au/p/68713/MONITORS/Samsung/205BW.asp
    P.S.
    a) No, acer are not good, certainly not in my experience - most of their 15 and 17" models are pretty rubbish
    b) 16:10, ideally. 16:9 is usually only for TVs. 5:4 and 4:3 are good for desktop work, but for multimedia and gaming, widescreen's the way to go.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2008