1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New PC build oppinions.

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by dazila, Jan 6, 2008.

1. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Ah, you have an OEM card. I've found these come with only basic software functionality, and no, creative will only let you download the critical drivers, you have to pay for the software applications (this includes if you own a retail product and have lost the disc, creative are crap like that).
    If you can access CMSS though, you can probably get 5.1 sound. What I tend to find is that if I've selected 2.1 in speaker settings, or if that's what's selected in windows, the box looks like this:
    [​IMG]
    If I enable 5.1 mode in both windows and the creative panel, it suddenly looks like this:
    [​IMG]
    Check your surround sound settings.

2. dazila

dazila Regular member

I cannot find the console anywhere to download,
    Even the creative site it only practically supports software for the X-FI im getting pretty angry :(, because this is an OEM card but last time I checked OEM meant it had no packaging, no manual and no warranty but never did it mean you didnt recive the full software, There is no way I can find this EAX console anywhere even on the Creative site I have found nothing.
    Ill Ask you Sammoris something by PM but if that dosent work then Ill have to use 2.0 speakers for the PC and leave the 5.1's for my Wii and PS3.

3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

See personal messages.

4. dazila

dazila Regular member

Ive replied in the PM please check them.

5. dazila

dazila Regular member

I have gor EAX console to work but I cant get stereo sorround :(, all I have is like your first image CMSS only but the slider is the one with 4 speakers excpet Its disabled is this it or can I give one last attempt at something?

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Right well, connection tests are all good, so I can send you my config files. No guarantee they'll work though.

7. dazila

dazila Regular member

I cant belive this, I have recived it but guess what?, Windows Live is Crap and now it cant work.
    I have sent another PM with something else.

8. dazila

dazila Regular member

I just wanted to check if I were to buy a Hd3870 would my PSU support it?;
    Its a 550W Thermaltake TR2 RX PSU would this do or is this not enough?
    Just checking but is this a crap PSU or atleats descent?

9. dazila

dazila Regular member

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Thermaltake make two low end PSUs, the TR2 and the Purepower. As it turns out, the Purepower is the crap one. The TR2 isn't that bad, as it's esentially a cut down toughpower.
    That will be fine with a single HD3870. I wouldn't attach two to it, but it'll be ok with one card.

11. dazila

dazila Regular member

so even the RX version isnt that good?

12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Stick with the proper TR2 series, or go with known decent units like the Antec Earthwatts, Corsair VX or Seasonic S12.

13. dazila

dazila Regular member

Yes but this is the better version of the TR2 its the Tr2 RX version.

14. funky22

funky22 Guest

people i got samsung sm2232bw monitor and its junk it works on 60HZ on its native resolution 1680x1050 and it has allot flicker until i turn v sync on and framerate fall below 60fps if u wanna monitor to play games on it i suggest Samsung sm 931bf or sm 961bf they work at 75hz on 1280x1024 rez and that is for me best rez to play games on i think i will sell this monitor and buy sm 961bf ,i dont get it even some hdtv got 100hz on much bigger rezolutions and pc monitors are stuck on 60herz on anaything after 1280x1024 rez will play games on my old sm913n games look better without that flicker and i can have high framerates

15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Well everybody else I know has had fantastic success with the monitor. It's techically impossible for LCDs to flicker in the same way CRTs do, so perhaps you have a faulty unit.
    Tearing in games (single lines that flicker) is caused by your graphics card, and is normal to expect in a lot of games. Some just require it, that's no fault of the monitor. Tearing is potentially more likely at widescreen resolutions since surprisingly few games are coded with widescreen in mind.
    60Hz is absolutely fine for any LCD (what with the human eye only being able to recognise up to 30fps and all) since LCDs don't flicker like CRTs do. If anything, I'm amazed LCDs still have the option to increase the refresh rate since it's almost pointless.

Has it occurred to you that for 1680x1050 your graphics card setup is ridiculously overpowered in most games? Trying to force 300fps at a monitor is going to cause issues. What's wrong with turning Vsync on out of interest? It's not like it'll kill you...

Also, I strongly advise you to condense your signature. Afterdawn signatures must be at most 5 lines of text. Yours is 9.

16. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Framerate below 60FPS is not a big deal, turn VSYNC on for gods sake.

Sam is right, change the sig or ddp is gonna get your ass.

17. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

One also wonders why you're using a 22" monitor with setups like that. After all, while your first PC consists of all the most expensive components on the shelf, they're by no means cost-effective. I assume you realise you'd be $500 better off if you'd gone with 8800GTXs rather than Ultras and would achieve pretty much the same frame rate in games?

18. dazila

dazila Regular member

Well im planning to buy a ASUS HD3870 512mb on Saturday.
    I was wondering will it be worth it or will i just be like meh the top end games still lag?
    Because I want to max Dirt out will this card do that :) or not because if it wont im not going to be bothered LOL! will it be a huge increas over a OCd 8500GT or not?

19. dazila

dazila Regular member

Anyone?

20. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

yes it'll be a huge difference over an 8500gt, I guarantee it. I can max dirt at 1280x1024 and it run smoothly.