1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New PC build oppinions.

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by dazila, Jan 6, 2008.

1. dazila

dazila Regular member

well then I cant wait for saturday :) :) x100 LOL

2. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

At this point I would just get a 8800GT.

Sorry Sam, I kinda switched sides. I don't see the advantage in the 3870 anymore, seeing as I am still on DX9, so DX10.1 is useless.

3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I'm still on DX9 too, and in the US there is no real advantage to getting a 3870, but in the UK the price difference (for decent brands) of the HD3870 is so great that it's still worth getting.

4. dazila

dazila Regular member

Id rather get a ASUS HD3870 for 299au then pay 316 for a cheaper branded 8800GT when I was using my old 9550Extreme edition AGP 128mb in my pentium 3 the Catalyst drivers are so much better then Nvidia's ones to me well not the drivers just the control panel.

5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

That used to be the case. Unfortunately the catalyst for the hd3870 is the worst graphics driver I've ever seen. I was never impressed with nvidia's drivers, but anything's better than these. The X1900 catalyst was fine, but with the 3870, it's practically beta.

6. dazila

dazila Regular member

Owell, I think I will still go for a HD3870.
    If I dont play Crysis what is the point of a 8800GT to me my crysis install is anyway a bit wierd, I think im having every bug that has been complained about in my instal the main one is the mission does not update at parts well most of the time it dosent thats why ive had to get about 5 downloaded saves for certian sections, the aliens in my instal cant get killed when you shoot them they just freeze and dont move or anything but are still floating no matter what there like dead but cant be killed :S, so that means I cant pass the mission where you meet up with that guy that got taken away by the alien because i cant kill the waves of aliens the just freeze, im not having a great time with the game :S its a good game where it works but for me its just not working poperly.
    One more thing I can get the Gigabyte or HIS version of the HD3870 for 279au but the ASUS version im thinking is 299au which brand is the best?

7. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

HIS is a pretty good brand, and their cooler are Supposed to be better.

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Abuzar: Only if you get the ICEQ though, for obvious reasons. Most HIS cards currently come with the stock cooler, which is surprisingly adept, if you can get past the speed limit for overclocking.

Dazila: I had fewer bugs, Crysis is one of the games that's not compatible with Omega drivers though, and also can't be run if I have all four slots of RAM installed either, bizarrely.
    For the brand, go with HIS. The Asus one isn't worth the extra money.

9. dazila

dazila Regular member

DAm I have to wait an extra week im working on Saturday this store only open until 2pm im working till 1pm :(, anyways just a few more questions do you guys think my ram isnt good :S, like its only 667mhz Corasari 2gb Value Select but to me there is nothing wrong or should I upgrade? I dont mind this ram, is another 2gb worth it now or not? if not the next thing is my faveourite case the.........
    Antec 900 :)

10. funky22

funky22 Guest

when i was buying ultras they was only 40euros more then gtx so why not to buy them fusk that 80 euros for these 2 monster cards ,but now gtx drop their prices but in that time they was almost the same as ultras i love them and now i am not buying anything until nvidia 10000series or ati r700 r770x2 and nehalem and if i finde some cheap used ultra later i will do 3 sli

11. funky22

funky22 Guest

its forced on all the time with triple buffering in nvidia control panel but i dont like the tought that this monitor slowing my highly payed grafick cards on my old sm 913n a never needet to turn that v sync on and framerates was high with 75hz and it looked better with 75hz , but this is better resolution for my cards becose 1280x1024 was more cpu dependent ,1680x1050 is more gpu dependent and games felt and play easier this is good monitor but it has tn panel and s-pva panels are so expensive so this is good enough for me

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 20, 2008
  12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Funky: then you had no reason not to buy them. In the UK it's a different story though, the 8800GTX originally came out at around £380-£390, the Ultra was £500. That's quite a steep increase.
    As for your second post, I don't understand a word of it. I assume english isn't your first language?

13. dazila

dazila Regular member

I dont know now because I dont know if I should buy a HD3870 I might buy a few Wii games instead or pre order GT5 :p instead or GTA IV.
    Because I think I might enjoy a Wii game more

14. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Well, it really depends how many PC games you're likely to play when getting a decent card. try not to think of it in terms of how many games you play now, because that figure will undoubtedly grow if you have means to play newer titles, but unless you acquire games through, ahem, 'less than legitimate' means, you're still forking out extra for those too. If you already own the PS3, put in a pre-order for GT5, no questions asked. Whether you get wii games depends on which you have already.

15. funky22

funky22 Guest

yea i never learned english this is what i picked up on my 12 years sitting on computers ,i learned damm german for 10 years that i dont know a word

16. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

right ok that's fine.
    Was your old monitor a CRT by any chance? Because LCDs don't need any more than 60Hz to produce a decent image, they may just require vsync more often than a CRT since they produce the image digitally.

17. dazila

dazila Regular member

might as well get a HD3870 its ot everyday you upgrade your graphics card I just hope it will take me through to atleat Jan 09 not upgrade the card every 4 months.

18. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

It can max DiRT and Crysis at 1280x1024 with decent frame rates. Any games that are more demanding probably won't be so by that much, and if they are, bear in mind the settings for DiRT include 4xAA and 8xAF.

19. dazila

dazila Regular member

Ok but lets just say im not a resolution person like I dont really care if my game runs at 800x600 or 1680x1050 now this is where I stop and think, the Geforce 8500GT can run most games on high no lag at smaller resolutions would there be any point in buying a HD3870 there :),
    My Alternative would be to if I dont buy the card,
    a)Buy Fans this is for sure anyways
    b)Chip My Wii
    c)Buy a mouise like a G9
    d) Buy a wireless router.

So there are other things I can do.

20. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Well, I find it hard to believe that anybody's happy to play games at 800x600, but I suppose if you don't care about game graphics much, then a graphics card is a bit pointless.