1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New PC build oppinions.

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by dazila, Jan 6, 2008.

1. dazila

dazila Regular member

I do care about the quality of the image but im a person who would rather lose a lot of resolutions then run a game on medium quality.
    I need to know what a HD3870 gets in Crysis at Very High all settings no AA and no AF at about 1024x768 or 1280x960? is it above 25fps or still below and in the lag zone?

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

X1900XT at all high settings (no AA or AF) got 30fps at 800x600 and about 18fps at 1024x768. Given that the HD3870 is twice as fast you can expect about 60fps at 800x600 and maybe 30-35 at 1024x768.

3. dazila

dazila Regular member

I think I will buy it.
    But are there any reasons to buy it over the 9600GT? (Hd3870) from my personal prefernce I prefer Ati More like I said ive only had a 9550 before but I dont know why LOL! I guess its just a prefernce the same reason I dislike the Xbox for no particular reason....
    At the moment if i were to chose between 8800GT or 9600GT or HD3870 id go for 3870 because it has a dual slot cooler might lower my temps more the with the 8500GT because it has a dual slot cooler, I liek more because of the better features Dx 10.1 and Shader 4.1.
    Im also thinking of changing my I belive 80mm exhaust case fan to a 120mm and adding a 120mm intake fan at the front, is it worth the 40mm increase for the rear?? will it improve temps at all?

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The HD3870 certainly puts out a better quality image than the 9600GT, and it's the same price in the UK, which sweetens the deal.
    As for the rear fan, it depends on the speed. At the same speed, a 120mm fan makes a huge difference over an 80mm. Adding a front fan is wise if you don't already have one.

5. dazila

dazila Regular member

no I dont have one at the front.
    I was thinking ANtec 900 but when I see the price and all the stuff I have to do to swap cases Id rather add a few fans.

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I'm due to swap cases soon (ironically away from an Antec 900) and it is quite a big ordeal, especially if your existing case is good enough. I'm mainly swapping mine out for quietness and "part continuity" reasons.

7. dazila

dazila Regular member

Well im still thinking about this......
    should i chip or buy a card :S
    we have right now on wii:
    Super Mario galaxy
    wii sport
    wii play
    metroid prime 3
    mairo party 8
    zelda :TP
    Super paper mario
    mario and sonic at teh olympic games.
    What do you think?

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

If you already own that lot I don't really see why you need the thing chipped, you've got the cool games!

9. dazila

dazila Regular member

But the main thing is when a game like SSBB or Mairo kart wii come out in US i could get them and play them before the rlease here.

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

You could, or you could just wait. All boils down to impatience I guess.

11. dazila

dazila Regular member

Boy this is hard to chose.
    Should I go with a great video card or go with a great gaming system :S.

12. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

The Wii is far from Great.

13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Now that's personal opinion and you know it. Sweeping statements like that are going to cause arguments.

14. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

He has 4 mario games out of 7 games total. Hell I wouldn't even call Wii Sports a Game, so that's 4/6. I played Mario when I was three.

Super Mario galaxy(Nintendo Game)
    wii sport(Nintendo Game)
    wii play(Nintendo Game)
    metroid prime 3(Nintendo Game)
    mairo party 8(Nintendo Game)
    zelda :TP(Nintendo Game)
    Super paper mario(Nintendo Game)
    mario and sonic at teh olympic games. (Nintendo Game)

Seeing a Pattern here?

15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

We don't all appreciate mario, and it seems you don't. I personally think Wii sports is a superb game, as are all the other titles in that list. Opinions differ, just because you don't like the wii doesn't mean everybody shouldn't. Granted, the graphics in the wii are appalling compared to modern consoles, but by and large (and especially if you still have a CRT TV - go on, try it!) The graphics don't seem that bad.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2008
  16. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

I liked Red Steel. That was the only reason I kept my Wii.

17. dazila

dazila Regular member

I dont see with what is wrong how Mario Galaxy looks like that game is something I think a 6th gen console couldnt pull off at 480p at a steady 60fps unless you havent played it (Not Talking to Sam).

Anyways I bought a Asus 8800GT Because I thought it would be single slot cooler so i can still use my PCI slot for a tuner card but guess what the cooler is single slot but sticks out so far that it nearly reaches the 2nd slot away which is after the pci-e x1 which it covers the slot is the last pci slot I think i can still squezze it in or is it somethin I shouldnt try because I doubt it would leave much room for the fan on the card it would pretty much leave 2 or 3cm.
    What is your opinion?
    because there is a steep price increase here between a HD PCI TV card and a HDTV PCI-E x1 card PCI version is about 37-60 while PCI-E x1 version is around 120 and are much more rare.
    But this card is amazing nothing lags.
    CM Dirt, Maxed out ultra quality 4x Multi Sampling @ 1680x1050 at 35+fps!!! on my 8500 it was mediumish no MS, 1024x768 @ 13 or less fps.
    Crysis all high 1680x1050 no lag 0x AA, 25+fps
    well if those two games run like that which i belive might be the most intensive games out then no need to tell the rest :)
    But its just amazing i see the 8500 was poor but it might have been a better choice then buying a 8600 or HD2600XT for 1 1/2 months.

18. dazila

dazila Regular member

Well any tips?,
    Like what does the distance have to be between the Graphics Fan and the next thing blocking it???

19. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I'd say one PCI slot's worth. As long as the card immediately beneath the graphics card doesn't cover the fan, you'll be fine.

20. dazila

dazila Regular member

I will think about it LOL, but to me it just seems a bit too close this cooler is too big LOL, Single slot yea for sure more like the size of a double slot exhaust cooler except its just one big circle heat sink with a fan.
    But I would like to get a PCI TV tuner over the PCI_E version since the PCI versions cost around 50au the PCI-E version arent below 110au I doubt there is a differnce since TV tuners dont even use the PCI Slots full bandwith even in HD or am i wrong?.
    just a few more things,
    Is overclocking the cpu worth it if its not struggling in games?, yestreday I tried a 200mhz overclock i know not big but its my first ever overclock to the cpu :) but I saw my ram increase from 667mhz to 720 or something close to it it was stable but how far can this corsair ram be pushed??,
    Also this speed step thing, is it good to just leave it on or should i switch it off for any particualr reason?
    Should I try selling my 8500GT? to a friend and how much should I ask for it I know someone who might be interested I said around 50au but I dont want to be slack and sell him grabage if he already has something close to it he currently has a Geforce 7300le 256mb GDDR2 do you think like the performance differnce between this and a Geforce 8500GT 512mb Super GDDR2 would be big enough for him to like it ??