1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New PC build oppinions.

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by dazila, Jan 6, 2008.

1. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Personally, I would have thought that anything that deals with HD video would want as much bandwidth as it could get, but since you can get TV tuners for USB, that probably isn't the case. PCI can transmit four times as much bandwidth as USB.
    Overclocking your CPU is nice, and I see no harm in doing it up to the point where you don't need to increase VCore. You should be able to change your RAM multiplier to keep the memory speed close to what it's rated at.
    The 8500GT is much better than the 7300LE, so yeah, that seems like a fair deal to me.

2. dazila

dazila Regular member

I just checked the slots to see how much room there is and I moved my sound card up to the slot next to the graphics card and guess what there is about only 2-3cm gap between the fan and the soundcard this 8800GT's cooler is big, It completely covers the pci-e x1 slot so its pretty much a 2slot cooler except its not one of those exhaust ones, I know this cooler had a name I just forgot it :S, anyways on this page http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=2&l2=6&l3=442&l4=0&model=1918&modelmenu=1
    its the bottom card it has that cooler on it not the one with a picture.
    is 2cm a bit tight :)??

3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

2cm is fine, most people barely let their graphics cards have 1cm of room.

4. dazila

dazila Regular member

I mean like I dont know to me it seems a bit squashed but what am i to say ive really never had a videocard as high performance as this before,I really want to make sure that it wont do harm.

So I will try to explain now :).

Ok, this is my motherboard layout http://www.maincomp.com/uploads/160.jpg

The PCI-E 16x slot on the right is being used the card's fan goes completely over the PCI-E x1 to the right of it so I can really see it and the fans blades stop right next to the 1st PCI slot after that PCi-E x1 slot when I put in my soundcard into that slot there is not much room :S half the cards fan is not visible because the sound card is infront of it there is 2cm space from the fan blades to the next card that would be instreted and im worried airflow would be blocked?
    Im also looking for a CPU cooler here it gets pretty hot in Sydney so my CPU with the stock intel cooler dosent do well :S, like when im playing a game for an hour the cpu dosent start completely overheating like temp keeps on rising it stays at around 50-55C when playing a game for about an hour on a hot day so I need a better cooler, Coolers that ive looked at are Thermaltake Beetle, Zalman 9500 and 9700 I like the beetle one alot :) looks nice and big but is it good do you think?

5. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Dude relax. As long as your GPU isn't overheating you're fine.

Load temps of 90C on a 8800GT are normal, but you seem to have a better cooler so they probably wont even go that high.

6. dazila

dazila Regular member

I was thinking of buying a better cpu cooler not gpu one.

7. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

You already have a nice custom cooler on your GPU.

8. dazila

dazila Regular member

lol we arent understanding each other im fine with my GPU cooler It does its job well.
    Im talking about replacing my Stock Intel CPU cooler for an Aftermarket one, and what I have in mind is the Thermaltake Beetle CPU cooler because I can get it cheap of Ebay, if not I might go for somthing like a Blu-ORB FX or a Zalman 9700.
    Because my CPU is ideling at 48c with this stock intel cooler its not overheating but I feel it might be too high when i run a game it reaches 55c i really dont plan to oc yet but are these temps high? room temp is around 29c here.

9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The Thermaltakes and Zalmans are naff compared to the Arctic Freezer 7 Pro. Better yet get a Thermalright Ultra-120 or Scythe Ninja.

10. dazila

dazila Regular member

The only problem with the Arctic 7 is that it seems to be very rare around here one site I have seen that has it but I dont think they do online, the others dont have it Ebay Au dosent even have any Arctic 7 Coolers and ebay has everything that cant be found elsewhere lol.
    What about that Asus Silent Knight it looks a bit big but would these big coolers fit on a P5K-SE in a Normal sized atx case.
    Thermalright I have had no luck the store dosent have any ebay au only has a silent version (Heatsink only) which I dont like.
    But out of the Asus Silent Knight, Thermaltake Beetle, Thermaltake Blu Orb FX, Zalman 9500 or 9700 which is the best?

11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Um, all Thermalright coolers come with no fan. The point is you use your own!

12. dazila

dazila Regular member

But then it looks cheap lol.
    What about a Typhoon VX its 63au compared to the 70 for the 95&9700 fans.
    I also have to say im not planing to o/c just yet since the current speed of this cpu does everything i just dont like my idle temps in the 40's is it worth a new cooler for this or just leave the intel one use the money to buy 2 more gb of ram? which would be better.

13. dazila

dazila Regular member

Well I have to make my mind up of what I want can I just ask for your opinions :)

Leadtek Winfast DTV-100s
    and
    Zalman 9700
    or
    2gb DDR2 667mhz
    or
    4gb DDr2 667mhz
    or
    400gb Segate SATA HDD

My current specs are
    2ghz Pentium Dual Core E2180 @ 2.0ghz
    2gb Corsair Value Select 667mhz Ram (2x1gb)
    160gb Segate Barracuda 7200rpm IDE
    Pioneer 112D IDE Dual Layer burner 18x.
    550W Thermaltake TR2 RX
    Asus 8800GT 512mb
    Sound Blaster 5.1 OEM
    Samsun SM 206BW 20inch Widescreen 2ms response.
    80mm Exhaust Fan
    120mm Intake Fan
    Asus P5K-SE Motherboard

My temps at the moment are,
    Idle; from speedfan
    System 42c
    CPU 46c
    AUX 15c
    HD0 37c
    Core 0 37c
    Core 1 37c

The Room temp is around 27-28c.
    So what is your opinion.
    And Im running XP Pro Service pack 2.

14. dazila

dazila Regular member

Well i ended up getting a Tv tuner and another 120mm coolermaster fan but it seems my GPU is heating up more now because of the smaller amount of room it has.
    I also took my old 80mm fan ripped that funnel thing of teh side of the case which runs to the cpu and put it there but iam so close to taking it off and putting the funnel back on because of how loud it is.
    I just need an opinion, funnel or 80mm fan blowing in?

15. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Can you post a pic of you computer with the cover off? Because I'm barely following you.

16. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

it depends how good your exhaust fan is. if it's fast or big, 80mm intake fan. If it isn't, funnel.

17. dazila

dazila Regular member

well im back here i need to help :D.
    since i opened this thread and i dont feel like opening another one i will ask this question.
    How do i get a clean picture through my tv tuners s-video in, im connecting a gamecube to it but the picture seems to be blurred up and sort of shaky like in severe need to anti aliasing :D i dont mean gamecube looks crap it looks perfect through the crt but here its shocking and i dont think this is the best it can be because what is the use for a s-video capture card then?
    its a Leadtek Winfast DTV2000H i think.

18. dazila

dazila Regular member

Hmmmmm..... No reply still :D.
    I figured this is being caused by the console outputing only 576i while my screen is at 1680x1050, Is there anyway like any upscaling software or something which will upscale the image to this resolution?

19. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

your monitor is already upscaling to the correct resolution as LCDs are only able to display their native resolution. Standard def consoles look dump on PC monitors unfortunately, I don't think there's that much you can do about it.

20. dazila

dazila Regular member

Well, I know this thread is over 2 years old, but It's relevant as I am building an upgrade to the pc I bought at the start of this thread plus a few upgrades I got later on:
    2ghz Pentium Dual Core E2180 @ 3.2ghz
    Noctua something U14 :p
    4gb Corsair XMS2
    1tb WD Caviar Green
    Pioneer 112D IDE Dual Layer burner 18x.
    550W Thermaltake TR2 RX
    Asus 8800GT 512mb
    Auzentech X-Studio 5.1
    Samsun SM 206BW 20inch Widescreen 2ms response.
    Antec 902.

Anyways the parts that I've been looking at have consisted of the following:

AMD 1090T
    Asus Crosshairs IV
    4gb Kingston HyperX DDR3
    Same HDD
    Same Case
    a Radeon 6870 when it launches in just over a month
    Corsair H70
    Corsair 750W PSU

Just wanted to get opinions and any changes I should make?
    Thanks alot.