1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New PC build oppinions.

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by dazila, Jan 6, 2008.

1. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

wow, dazila, that's a name I've not heard in a while!

Why are you going for the X6 1090T? Do you use programs that can actually benefit from 6 cores? (Games do not)
    I'd recommend changing the Asus board and Kingston memory to a Gigabyte board and Corsair memory, Asus boards tend to be pretty naff lately in terms of build quality.

The Noctua D14 (if that's the heatsink you have) is tremendously powerful, you don't need to upgrade to the H70 to properly cool any modern processor, even including the Phenom II X6 and the Core i7 900 series.
    While I would recommend changing the PSU for this upgrade, the 750W PSU is overkill, a 650 would be fine.

2. dazila

dazila Regular member

Lol, yea my tech cravings died down a bit, Uni and work are also stealing alot of my time :p.

Hmm I wanted the 1090 because it doesn't seem pricey at all for what you get and my aim is to keep this pc for 1.5-2 years without upgrades.

The cooler I have bothered to do somehting I should have done before.... googled it, sorry about the mistake, its a Noctua NH U12, it's about 2 years old now.

Do you recomend any particular corsair ram like the XMS3?
    Thanks.

3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The i7 Quad cores are a similar price to the 1090T and despite only having 4 cores versus 6, are pretty much the same speed. Obviously, in applications that can't use any more than 4 cores, this makes the i7s a lot faster.
    XMS3 RAM is my standard recommendation these days.