1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Pc DVI-HDMI audio?

Discussion in 'Home Theater PC' started by emachine, Sep 27, 2007.

1. emachine

emachine Guest

So I just got a new Media center Pc. I'm planing on buying a video card and sound card. Right now I don't have a hi-def TV but I will be purchasing one shortly and I'd like HDMI. First will DVI-HDMI look like as good as HDMI or should I buy a true HDMI out video card? Next how do I get the audio into the HDMI cable from the video card to TV?

Would I have to buy a new tuner card to get High def out of my pc? Like an HDMI in?

2. ugc

ugc Regular member

My opinion only. I don't know the specs of each. But, keep this in mind. A good graphics card can produce much higher specs than a HDTV. I think a HDTV is 1920x1080, and I can get better resolution out of my Nvidia card.

That being said. I have a HTPC setup using DVI and I am very happy with it. I have a dual monitor video card. One is connected to a regular LCD computer screen, and the other connected to the HDTV. So, I think you would be happy with the DVI connection.

The topic of HDMI. I have a HDMI card installed in my computer also. It is installed in a PCIe slot:

http://www.decklink.com/products/intensity/

The drivers installed include the video and audio so you get both using HDMI. But I only use it to capture video, not for playback.

I have my computer setup for TosLink Dolby Digital AC3 (out only) to the stereo for all my sound.

Hope this helps you a little, and my give you some insite on how to set yours up.

3. emachine

emachine Guest

Yep that's what I plan on doing. Hook up a regular monitor via dvi or vga. Then have my tv hooked up through hdmi. Hmm since I don't have a good tv I may just use Svideo and wait until I get a High Def tv to get the HDMI tuner and stuff.

Right now it has a tuner card with Svideo regular TV in, audio and video in, and I have a 5500 GeForce I could smack in there to get Svideo out. So my only problem would be audio. It has a digital (orange) out along with 8 3.5mm audio outs. I'm not sure what the best way to get the audio to the TV would be though?

4. emachine

emachine Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 27, 2007
  5. ugc

ugc Regular member

The specs say:

Maximum Resolution: 2560 x 1600 (Digital)

lol...that more than covers 1080.

NOTE: If you buy this card and upgrade your TV, just make sure the TV has a DVI connection. Then you can just plug your card into the HDTV without that HDMI adapter

6. vamsilak

vamsilak Regular member

hello guys graphic cards

i have a graphic-nvidia geforce 8500gt is this good for hdtv
    it has dvi out put

7. jkempi

jkempi Member

OK, so does anyone have an idea about getting HDMI video & audio out. Purchased an ATI 1650X pro pci-e with HDMI, VGA & S-Video out. It takes a two wire S/PDIF input on the card itself for audio. So now do I need to find an audio card that will interfce with it?