1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New PC install help please.

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by vtr1000, May 22, 2007.

1. vtr1000

vtr1000 Member

Just got my new pc built but am having a bit of a nightmare setting up the drive partitions.

Got 2 500GB WD drives and a 36GB Raptor for OS

Problem is I have an internal memory card reader connected to the Asus P5B deluxe mobo.

When I try to install winxp c d e f taken by the card reader how can I set it up so that the HD is the C: partition.

Help appreciated.

2. bluecoal

bluecoal Guest

There are ways to force the drive assignments, can't remember exactly and can't think of the right google terms at the moment.

Two thoughts for possibilities.

If the card reader is easy to disconnect, could you uninstall it in device manager, then turn the computer off and disconnect the reader, reboot the system and get the drives set up, then turn the system off and reconnect the reader and then reboot and let it set the reader up after the drives?

The other thing, I'm thinking in device manager under drive properties you can change the default drive letter. You could check on that too.

3. vtr1000

vtr1000 Member

did a registry hack from M$.... re-booted and voila windows would load up then shut down.

:-0

Re-install later drives where there... so bit of heart ache but got there in the end.... thanks.