1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New PC Problem-Help Guys

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by floss313, Jun 2, 2008.

1. FredBun

FredBun Active member

OK, let me re-phrase, unless this 64 thing is some great advantage, and I mean it would have to be a really big advantage, and you drop this xp64 if it's a problem, than would he be better off with a non 64 XP.

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Yes - unless you have reason to use more than 3.5GB of RAM, I usually tell people to stick with XP 32-bit.

3. FredBun

FredBun Active member

Thank You sammy, thats pretty much the answer I was looking for, as you know I'm not in the category of you guys and never will be or give advise, but I'm reading all this and I'm starting to feel sorry for floss.

Don't get me wrong, way back I would always want as much power for whatever not pc's of course other things like cars etc so I know that want feeling, but unless you want to set off rockets with this 64 vista thing, I ask myself all that extra power has to be really well worth it to go thru all the trouble floss is going thru, this thing would have to be able to scratch my back, find me dates and cook me meals before I would go thru all that trouble.

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Haha well indeed.

5. floss313

floss313 Regular member

Quick Update guys. As far as the display problem I was having with the new drivers (8.5), well it automatically had itself set with an undescan setting that I later found within the Catalyst Control Center.
    As far as the crashing is concerned I had downloaded the debugging tools and ran them to get a clue at least of what was going on and I came across enumerous driver problems and even memory corruption in one of the readings. I am currently testing my older brother's memory(4x1GB Corsair XMS2 PC2 6400)on my rig and it seems that there may still be a few driver problems, however I am currently not experiencing any crashes. This is all on Vista X64 Ultimate.
    Next thing in mind is to replace the memory solely( to my original one )and see if the crashes return.

One question guys:

Every time I change settings on my mobo (EX38-DS4) it says voltage not optimized until I change it back to Auto and I would like to set My memory voltage to 2.1 so, any ideas?

Thanks guys

Deadrum- I checked the timings for my original memory and it says 5-5-5-15 for the 1GB chips however it says 5-5-5-18 for the 2GB chips. Is this correct?

6. floss313

floss313 Regular member

Yep. It probably took about 10 minutes with my original memory (OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 2x2GB)for the system to crash.So I went into the BIOS and changed the memory multiplier to +2.40 and ran the memory at 800Mhz with timings of 5-5-5-18 (same as tested Corsair). Everything seems to be running proper, currently.
    Now the next step should be to try and achieve stability at proper memory speed. Guys, any ideas on this will be much appreciated. I don't think I would've ever found the cause of the problems without your help. THANKS A LOT GUYS(Deadrum & Sam)!!!

Now for phase 2.

7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

To be honest, with a lot of RAM, as crazy as it sounds, that isn't possible.

8. floss313

floss313 Regular member

What do you mean?

9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

A lot of PC8500 memory will not run at 1066mhz at its rated latencies without causing horrific stability problems - a lot of Crucial modules are prone to it, seemingly OCZs are too.

10. floss313

floss313 Regular member

I am currently looking through some forums on which same memory speed and size(2x2GB 1066Mgz or even 4x1GB)seem to cause a lot of Vista problems. Let's see what we can dig up.

11. floss313

floss313 Regular member

Check this out:

http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showthread.php?p=8892244

"Just thought I'd update,

My machine has been running rock solid at 800 - it's annoying that it wont run 1066, but I suppose i'll get over it.

Cheers,
    Bogrolls"

"Anyone who's interested in this thread, here are my replies from Corsair, looks that I was too hasty in purchasing this ram thinking it'd run just because they were the same sticks in a quad configuration.

I should of probably done more research,
    Bogrolls.

Responding to Message Regarding Case #57XXXX
    Message To » Corsair Technical Support Team

Make sure you have set the memory voltage to 2.1 volts, and then set the memory frequency at 800MHz. Also, with Vista you will need to make sure you have either installed Service Pack 1, or you will need the following patch: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929777

To which I replied along these lines, "nar nar, it's 1066mhz ram, why do i have to run it at 800"

Responding to Message Regarding Case #57XXXX
    Message To » Corsair Technical Support Team

When using four modules in any system, there are a few things to consider. Even with 2 Identical TWIN sets of memory (same part and revision #), you may not be able to run the memory at its advertised settings. To guarantee that the system would run four modules at our advertised settings you would need a QUAD set, which has been tested to run in a 4-up configuration. The difference is that the QUAD set is tested more aggressively to give the memory controller more headroom to run the modules.

When using 2 TWIN sets together, you will most likely run into a limitation on the memory controller, and there are two options to get the system to stabilize when using all four modules together. Option one is to drop the memory frequency to the next slower level to cut the memory controller some slack and allow it to keep up with the memory, and the second option would be to overclock the board.

Overclocking would need to be done at your own risk and results will vary from board to board. If you decide to try it, I would suggest that you increase Northbridge voltage to 1.45-1.5 volts."

Do you agree with the overclocking idea in order to run them at full speed Sam?

12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Could do, but be wary of upping your northbridge voltage - not only will it get hot, but push it too far and it'll end up going pop as well.

13. floss313

floss313 Regular member

I will keep that in mind.

Cheers Sam.

14. floss313

floss313 Regular member

Guys I have a question.

Which of the following is more accurate:

- the CPU and Mobo temperature reading from a utility, say Easytune6 (EX38-DS4) or the BIOS CPU and Mobo temperature reading?

Another thing is I am currently running my system at 3.2Ghz (400x8) with memory timings of 5-5-5-15 at 960Mhz (multiplier +2.40B) and with system temperatures between 37-42 degrees (Easytune6).

Any good?

Cheers

15. floss313

floss313 Regular member

Excuse me.

I meant to say System Temperatures around 34-35 degrees and CPU temperatures between 37-42 degrees. (Easytune6)

Cheers

16. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

They should both give you the same results - Easytune will probably give you slightly higher figures seemingly because your CPU will have warmed up by the time you get into windows.

17. floss313

floss313 Regular member

Hey Sam. Just to let you know that I have just fitted the Thermalright Ultra Extreme and the SFF21F Scythe 1600rpm Fan. Tremendous! Heatsink about 1mm from the top and fan 1mm from the memory. Doesnt't get closer than that!

Cheers mate

18. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

It can be a bit of a squeeze, but it's certainly worth it.

19. floss313

floss313 Regular member

Sam, I am thinking of getting x2 fans for my antec 900 (optional). Should I go for standard 120mm antec tricool's?

Cheers

20. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I see no reason why not.