1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New PC problem

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by terrynova, Dec 29, 2007.

1. terrynova

terrynova Member

Hey Guys,

I'm having a bit of a hair pulling moment right now, I've just bought the parts to build myself a nice little machine that should see me into the future but its not working when I press the power button.

First heres the specs:

Pentium 4 3.0ghz
    2gig DDR2 ram
    160gig seagate pata hard drive
    Geforce 8600GT SLI
    Foxconn Mobo

The Problem:
    I've put the PC together as per instructions and when I power on everything seems to be going well, all the fans start moving and the CPU boots up, but nothing comes up on my monitor which is connected to the graphics card. I get a bios beep code (1 long, 2 short) which I think means its a video adapter problem, so I tried installing another graphics card and I get the same issue. I also tried reinstalling everything, I tried different ram and I still get the same problem.

Do you think this all comes down to the mobo or could I be missing something very simple?

Any help you guys can offer will be great

Thanks in advance

2. core2kid

core2kid Regular member

Try to use integrated graphics if your motherboard has it. If you do use that, then you must remove the graphics card. Also if you remove the graphics card and it gives you the same beeping, then you know that its the graphics card problem. If none of the above work, Try to remove the motherboard, place it on the antistatic bag it came with, install:
    -RAM (One stick)
    -Cpu
    -cpu fan
    -video card
    -power supply
    And then try loading it up.

3. LDee

LDee Regular member

What core2kid said, also (just in case) make sure that the extra power connector from psu to the mboard is connected up, the one that plugs in for extra power for the cpu, should go in somewhere next to the cpu, I'm pretty sure your cpu requires it.