1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

new Pioneer DVD-120S CD-Rom problem...

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by Michael60, Apr 17, 2003.

1. Michael60

Michael60 Member

I just bought a new Pioneer DVD-120S DVD/CD-ROM and it is supposed to have an improved loading mechanism. It is a slot version.

However when I first went to use it I had trouble inserting the DVD (wouldn't go in) until I used more force then normal. Now it goes in but it seems to be spring loaded until about 75% in, when it grabs in and "takes it".

The unit plays fine and extract video extremely fast...faster then my DVD-105S.

However now I noticed that when I eject the DVD it hangs up coming out at 1/2 way and gets stuck for a few seconds or more.

Why did PIONEER change the mechanism used in previous slot models with this "improved" version???

I guess I will have to send it back for a replacement and hope it is better.

Anyone else have a new DVD-120S and notice this also? I hope I am the only one.

Michael

2. redlight

redlight Member

had a dvd 106s that went wrong, which has been warranty replaced with a 120s.
    the 120s is alot smoother running + alot quiter, though as you have mentioned the loading mechanism is very stiff, this is down to the new disc clamping system.
    All 120s drives are the same!!
    It's a shame pioneer have cut back on spec as the new 120s does not have digital audio out which was great for digital copying

3. ZildjianB

ZildjianB Member

I just moved from a DVD-106S to a DVD-120S. The first 120S I received I thought was defective due to the amount of force required to insert a disc. Now, I can see that this is the norm, and am a bit disappointed in the new loading mechanism in the Pioneer drives. I tried talking to tech support about it, but no one in the office had experience with the new drive and they had no record of prior complaints. Unfortunately, their "engineer from Japan" was not in the office so I couldn't talk to him about it. I'll be calling back later this week to see if I can get anything official out of him.

4. NSXROX

NSXROX Member

I've been reading about how everyone says their 120S is quiet, which is one of the reasons I bought one. I just hooked it up and it sounds like a jet engine taking off compared to my older NEC DV-5800 drive. Very disappointed. Should I return it for another?