1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Pioneer DVR-112D burns so slow ! Please help !

Discussion in 'Nero discussion' started by zooco, Aug 18, 2007.

1. zooco

zooco Regular member

I Just installed the Pioneer DVR-112D burner on my PC ( WinXP Pro SP2; Celeron 2400; 512 RAM ) . On my 2 years old Lite-on burner before the upgrade, it took 12 minutes to burn a DVD 5 movies at speed 6X . Now, this new Pioneer burner took 29 minutes to burn the same DVD 5 disc at 8X !! Obviously, something is terribly wrong here ! I expect about only 8 minutes at the most !!

Do I need to update the driver or firmware ? Currently, WinXP driver is used . Could the driver cause this issue ? BTW, the DVD discs are playable . It's the speed that killing me !

Please help ..Thanks

2. gwendolin

gwendolin Senior member

3. binkie7

binkie7 Moderator Staff Member

Hi zooco
    Check and make sure all the transfer modes for the drive are in DMA mode - here's a guide.

Even if it shows they are I would go ahead and uninstall the ide channel, reboot and let windows reinstall anyhow.

The latest firmware for this drive is 1.22

4. jgarrison

jgarrison Member

I have a DVR-110D and a DVR-112D. Both drives burn DVD+R at a maximum of between 2X and 3X.

System:
    Intel D975XBX2, P4 Dual Core 3GHz, 2GB memory
    3Ware 9650 true hardware SATA RAID

I have done all the research and found the articles on various sites about making sure the IDE controller is in DMA mode instead of PIO, and also done the ResetErrorCountersOnSuccess=1 workaround in case that was the problem (but no errors are being recorded in the event log). Both drives show they're in UDMA-4 mode, which is what they should be according to Pioneer's support docs.

I'm at a dead end. The only remaining possibility is media, and I'm using Memorex 16X DVD+R. Anybody have experience with the combination of Pioneer drives and Memorex media?

5. AnnD

AnnD Member

I've bought the Pioneer DVR112D to replace a failing DVD ROM. I already have the Pioneer AO6 writer which is getting a bit old, so I figured I'd use the new Pioneer until the AO6 finally needed replacing.

I've had the same slow burn problem and after following the advice given realised that the problem was because I have a Primary IDE Channel but not a secondary one. My floppy drive is connected with a standard cable, but the two DVD writers are daisy chained with the 80pin thinner ribbed cable.

The slow burn problem on the new Pioneer was "solved" by making it a master and the older AO6 the slave. Actual burn was 7 minutes - much more impressive than the 70-odd minutes it wanted to take.

This means that the older AO6 is going to be even slower and I would still like the opportunity to use it - and I'd also like to try using Lightscribe at some point too. I cannot change PIO mode to DMA mode at all whilst the hardware is in this setup (although I haven't tried Cable Select mode instead of slave).

I take it I'm stuck until I can buy a new PC?

regards

Ann.

6. binkie7

@jgarrison
    Have you tried other media? May be the cause so I would rule that out first.

@AnnD
    You can try going into the registry and the workaround that jgarrison mentioned. Here's a link to MS article on it - link.

If this is a Dell pc they do prefer the cable select setting. They also have a utility to set DMA.
    Another suggestion - you might want to pick up another ide cable. If you have another ide port I'd try the drives on that one or at least put 1 drive on it.

7. AnnD

AnnD Member

Hi

Thanks for that. I have tried another IDE cable in case there was a problem with the other, but there is only one IDE port - the other is being used by the floppy drive - not sure if they're interchangeable or not.

It is a Dell PC which I have, so I'll try making both drives cable select and see if that makes any difference.

AnnD.

8. binkie7

If you're not using the floppy maybe unhook that and try the drives there - see if it makes a diff.

Dell's do prefer cable select so set both jumpers on the back to cable select.

Still not getting out of PIO on the one drive then here's the Dell DMA utility - link

9. AnnD

AnnD Member

Both drives are now on cable select and have run the Dell PIO to DMA utility and this has worked fine.

thanks for your help

Ann

10. binkie7

You're welcome

Happy Burning!

11. AnnD

AnnD Member

Hi
    After thinking that I'd solved the problem of the slow burn on the Pioneer DVR 112D - it's still a problem for me.

Both DVDs (the other is a Samsung) are on one ide cable - the recommended thin one. Both are on Cable Select. I use the Dell tool to force Ultra DMA Mode 2 on startup as it kept changing back to PIO mode on one drive. I have once more uninstalled the primary IDE and also done the registry amendment recommended earlier in this thread.

But this doesn't seem to have worked either. I tried burning 2 discs with exactly the same data. The Samsung went through with no problems at all and in about 7 minutes. CPU useage on the windows task manager was 0.

On the Pioneer, Nero said it was burning at 16 speed, but CPU usage was between 36% and 46% and after 5 minutes was still only 11% through the burn.

Does anyone have any ideas what to do next?

AnnD

12. gwendolin

gwendolin Senior member

Here's something I would like tp put out there. I have a pioneer DVD109...excellent burner..NO problems. I purchased a DVR 112D for my son, it lasted 3 months, took it back to the point of purchase and was told it would be replaced by latest model as the 112D was prone to failure...not their best product.

Of course this has nothing to do with slow burns just that it's not a great model.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2007