1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New processor installed but now power doesn't run through the motherboard/other hardware.

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Xzrael, May 17, 2004.

1. Xzrael

Xzrael Member

The joys of doing it yourself.

I just installeda p4 3.0 processor with a thermalright SP-94 heatsink + thermaltek fan without problems. After replacing and replugging everything in I couldn't get power to run when I pressed the start button my case.

I checked my motherboard (a p4c800-e deluxe asus board) and my integrated lan orange leds display as well as the motherboards green led when I have my power supply switch set to - on. Other than that I can't seem to get any signs of power running through even though I have my atx power correctly inserted into the pins as well as my restart button. I've tried disconnecting and reconnecting numerous things and made sure my processor was installed correctly 3x already.

I've also reseated my old processor and had the same problem. I don't think anything is burned out as I'm receiving lights and most of my hardware is brand new (corsair 512 ram x2, 500watt powersupply (brand new), fireball harddrive 12gb and a 120gb maxtor 7200)

I've also disconnected everything but the power (+) (-) to see if I could get just a few things to boot up and was unsuccessful. I've never dealt with the problem of just getting my computer to even receive power so I'm clueless as to what else I can do.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2. bird1234

bird1234 Member

There is one of two things that i can think on why it's not powering on.

A.) The motherboard is shorting out somewhere. Such as an example some of the contacts on the bottom of the motherboard are touching the case, with like a screw caught between the motherboard and case.

B.) Is the CMOS clear jumper set right? Now this one i've done before and i've built several dozen machines before. That's what i get for trusting the motherboard manufacture's manual on the motherboard.

Good luck amigo.

3. Xzrael

Xzrael Member

Hey bird sorry for the delayed response as I've spent the last few days rebuilding my machine.

Great call on the screw - I didn't have any loose screws flying around in the case but it sparked my interest so I dismanteled everything and left the motherboard on a cardboard box.

I setup the motherboard and the powersupply and the thing ran beautifully so I was estatic because I just paid 200dollars for the board and I hoped it was still alive. Anyway after a longer test I found out after 5-8 seconds it would power itself down so I'm assuming I fried it. I reinstalled everything one by one to find out where it got shorted at and the board has 2 washer like circles that are built onto the motherboard (I forget their technical name) to protect from this sort of thing... the O looking guys :)... anyway the ASUS board I bought has a double ring similar to a venn diagram OO so when I placed the screw in the middle (which I usually use plastic stands, damn my luck!!) it shorted the board out... after much testing I finally narrowed it down to that one goddamn screw.

Anyway I blew the board so hopefully I can get a replacement and convince them the board was defective or something. Meanwhile I tried my old motherboard which has diseased in my cubbord as well :) so I had to go out and buy another 200$ board - this time an MSI and everything worked perfectly. I even bought an anti-static wristband attachment - I'm forever paranoid after this incident about electrical damage of all kinds :).

Thanks again for your help and sparking my interest to investigate further with the question about wheather I had a loose screw flying around or not.

Take care,
    another computer part bites the dust.
    -Collin

4. bird1234

bird1234 Member

Glad to be of assistance. Good luck with your new board.