1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Ram, No Boot, No beep

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by CoRpRuS, Mar 16, 2005.

1. CoRpRuS

CoRpRuS Member

I just upgraded my P4 motherboard ram from a 256mb stick to a 1GB stick. I get no response when the system is turned on, besides power, no post or anything though. I don't get any kind of beep either. Both sticks are PC2100 DDR SDRAM. The only differance between them I can find is the size. I checked several times to make sure it was seated properly and still no luck there. Did I get a bad stick of ram? This one has just got me stumped.

2. djscoop

djscoop Active member

try swapping them, and looking in your manual, as some mobos are finicky and ram chips must be arranged according to size

3. CoRpRuS

CoRpRuS Member

As far as I could understand I had the order right. I tried it with just the Gig stick in the slot closest to the power supply first (which is where it is suppose to be), then I tried the two others and still no luck. I can't use both my gig stick and 256mb together either. I sure am in a pickel here.

Thanks much though

4. djscoop

djscoop Active member

well just to be sure I'd check the manual (or get it online) just to make sure there's no compatibility issues, and if it doesn't say anything than I'd return it. If you bought it in a computer store see if they can test it there and see what the result is.

edit 4 typo

Last edited: Mar 16, 2005
  5. CoRpRuS

CoRpRuS Member

I guess that it is what I'm going to have to do. Good to hear another opinion though. Thanks

6. dlc2000

dlc2000 Regular member

what model motherboard and who made the ram ? what are the specs for the memory ? is it ecc or non ecc ? you should beable to visit the motherboard manfactures website to check if the memory you are trying to use is on the list of compatitable hardware . do you have the latest bios updates for your motherboard ? some times a bios update helps with new hardware .

7. CoRpRuS

CoRpRuS Member

I have a soyo SY-P4I 845PE Lite (845PE intel chipset). I have the latest BIOS. It is non ECC memory, my board only supports non ECC. I got the ram used and out of package from ebay, so I am unsure of the RAM's brand, but according to the specs printed on the heat shield it should work fine. Maybe it is an issue with it being high density?

Thanks

8. dlc2000

dlc2000 Regular member

you could try clearing the cmos and see if it will post with the default settings . maybe test the memory in another machine , some computer shops will test it for you . you may have a bad stick of memory since the machine wont post .

9. CoRpRuS

CoRpRuS Member

I actually tried clearing CMOS earlier today thinking maybe it would work, no luck there. I am going to test it in another machine probably tomarrow. Thanks again

10. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

CoRpRuS

I still have a 128 stick I purchased off of eBay a few years back and it was guaranteed to work... NOT!!!

Good luck with yours and also, some boards do not like 1 gig sticks so check it out on Soyo’s website. Also try a reputable computer dealer who could test your memory to verify it works properly, eliminating that possible issue.

11. The_OGS

The_OGS Active member

Well, I was thinking that's impossible - you can't buy 1GB sticks of PC2100 anymore, it's gonna be PC3200 (or at least PC2700).
    But I see the memory's been 'previously enjoyed'.
    It is relatively fragile & difficult to ship, but assuming it worked and got to you in one piece, your mobo is choking on it ;-(
    According to Soyo
    http://www.soyo.com.tw/products/proddesc.php?id=195
    your CPU runs 133(QDR533) and so PC2100 would indeed be all you require for synchronous operation.
    PC2700 (run asychronously @ 166) would be of little speed benefit.
    I'll bet somebody else got this stick and it was supposed to work in his rig, and didn't.
    But it technically works (just not for him) so he sold it...
    So either it's fooked or there's something weird about it - it should work.
    I run 2 x 512MB (dual-channel) but if I were you I'd get a new 1GB stick of PC3200 (CDN $189) which will support very aggressive memory timings at PC2100 speeds.
    Wow; my supplier wants $190 bucks for those but they've got 512MB sticks for $64.99 - that's harsh eh?
    Let us know what you find out,
    Regards