1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

new receiver...digital optical cable question

Discussion in 'Receivers and amplifiers' started by desistyle, May 14, 2005.

1. desistyle

desistyle Member

I just bought a new Onkyo home theater system..and I like it so far!

However, I hooked up my xbox using a belkin pureav digital optical cable, and i hear a bit of static sometimes on certain games. Others usually sound fine as far as I know.

My gamecube and ipod work just fine when hooked up to the receiver. So i think it may be the cable, do you think a better cable (monster) might help the problem or are they all the same?

Thanks

2. wolfniggr

wolfniggr Regular member

Try exchanging the cable for another. It might have been bent and broken the fibers inside the cable. Check the new one for any package damage and be careful when you connect it from the xbox to your receiver. Monster makes a lot of different optic cables all ranging from $20 to $200. The materials used to make this cable vary and are reflected in the price. Like I suggested before, try another cable to see if it improves. Maybe this normal with the games you are playing. Once you figure it out, then you may want to consider if you need a more expensive cable. I myself use monster, and the amount of money I've spent on them cost more than some of the home theatre components I own. Can't complain too much, my setup sounds incredible.

3. jetyi83

jetyi83 Regular member

monster cable isnt better..!! just looks better, and way more expensive

if you want good cable get impact acoustics.. cheap and great quality.

monster cable is all marketing,,.. they test pretty bad, but are way overpriced.. they just add all the nice insulation and whatever. but the quality is not any better than a generic company. They claim to have the best quality but it just isnt true. Reliable HT forums conduct reviews and try and spread the word to as many people as possible.. its just ripping you off with marketing. As is bose. Bose is almost worse. They rate horrible, yet the majority of people believe they are one of the best speakers on the market.

spread the word on it too because the more you read up on it the more frustrating it is. but also just read up on it, dont take my word. make sure they are non biased sources. lots of times even magazine articles will conduct half assed biased reviews.

audioholics.com is a great forum for information

Last edited: May 25, 2005