1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NEW SATA drive

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by david3483, Jun 2, 2007.

1. david3483

david3483 Member

I've just ordered a new SATAII HD to replace my old IDE one.

Is there a way to transfer the exact image of my current HD or do I have to reinstall Windows?

Cheers,

Dave

2. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

Heres a great, easy program with a 15 day trial.
    http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/download/migrateeasy/
    Just plug in your new drive, you can choose for it to format it if you havent yet, then it will migrate it all over and even erase and re-format your old drive.
    Read the directions though because it's been awhile since I've used it.

3. david3483

david3483 Member

nice one cheers!

4. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

Last edited: Jun 3, 2007
  5. david3483

david3483 Member

well it seems to have half worked. XP boots from the new drive as long as the original drive is still connected! If I unplug the old one it gets past the XP splash but can't load the log on page correctly.

Also when it did boot from the new drive there was an error about win32 generic host service failing.

I haven't actually looked closely at the documentation yet so maybe these are common errors that are easy to fix...

6. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

Never seen that error before. My only thoughts are looking in the BIOS to see if it recognizes the new drive, then making it the primary drive to boot from. You shouldnt have master/ slave issues since SATA doesnt need that designation.

7. david3483

david3483 Member

No i definitely made it the master.

It definitely booted from that drive
    just couldn't load the logon screen unless the other drive was plugged in.

8. david3483

david3483 Member

all appears to be in working order now.

I did it again but left the original partitions as the same ratio of the drive.

The old one was 40GB and this one is 250GB so it is tupid to keep the same ratio. Earlier I changed the sizes and left 80GB unallocated for Ubuntu. I tried that twice and it failed both times so I guess that somehow was the cause...

9. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

I'm know next to nothing when it comes to Linux, wish I knew more.
    Let me ask why in the heck do you need 80GB for it when its small enough to load off a CD? Sounds like a bit much, I'f I'm wrong please let me know why.
    Glad it is working though...

10. david3483

david3483 Member

I probably don't need it to be honest. I just am not used to having so much internal disk space. I have all my media on two external hard drives (total 280GB capacity).

I figured i'd split this one in to 80Gb each for the operating systems and put the rest on another partition for file storage that both systems can access.

It's no problem though as I have used Partition Magic to arrange the drive how I want it after making the succesful migration.

Thanks for recommending that program!

11. david3483

david3483 Member

BTW I knew nothing about linux before i started my post grad degree last September but I use it at uni so thought i'd try dual boot at home. Just jump in at the deep end and get your hands dirty! Well, that's what I did with Fedora.

Now I'm using Ubuntu which is dead easy, even sets up dual boot for you which takes away all the satisfaction of getting it to work:)

12. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

I know enough to do basic programming (Microsoft visual basic) and in my day job, I often program an automated inspection system, unique in itself, but with similar command structure. I told myself I'd learn Linux before having to make the change to windows Vista, my wifes laptop uses it so I guess I made a liar out of myself. :)
    Glad everything is going well.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2007