1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Sony BluRay Burner for $750

Discussion in 'Blu-ray players' started by eatsushi, Jul 19, 2006.

1. eatsushi

eatsushi Regular member

2. nitrous3

nitrous3 Regular member

oh word

3. freedom2

freedom2 Regular member

oh my.. don't think so, sometimes old tech is better...........

4. b18bek9

b18bek9 Regular member

i wont be lookin for a blu ray burner til major price drops roll around an when we see if sony is gonna be able to get this blu ray crap off the ground.....

5. Spenman91

Spenman91 Regular member

Do you think prices will drop by around the hollidays? I want to buy a new computer around that time so I want Blu-Ray or HD-DVD capability either already built in or atleast cheap enough so I can add a new drive when I buy it and not feel like I just bought another new computer (meaning the $750 Blu Ray Drive being equivilent to the price of a new computer).

6. sam1dog

sam1dog Regular member

Spenman,
    Thats what I was also thinking. Right now its $2250 for the new Sony Pc with built in Blu-ray player. Seems a little steep. I purchased sony top line model six months ago ant it only costs me around $1300. So basically there charging a grand for the internal burner that only costs $750 which they probably really costs half that.

7. Spenman91

Spenman91 Regular member

Yea I could afford half the price that they are now but, I just wonder if it will make a difference as far as playing Blu-Ray/HD-DVD because even if the drives are cheaper won't you still have to have a HDCP compatable graphics card and monitor so the picture won't be downgraded and can be viewed in it's full resolution. So if a full HD-DVD or Blu-Ray compatable is around $1,800 or preferably cheaper by around the hollidays I think that would be fine. What I don't want to do is go out and buy a $1,300 computer and a HD-DVD or Blu-Ray drive to install and find out that I need to go out and spend another $500 on a HDCP compatable graphics card, and perhaps even alot more money for a monitor with a HDMI input.

8. sam1dog

sam1dog Regular member

Your right, I never even thought about the HDCP graphics card.

9. Spenman91

Spenman91 Regular member

10. sam1dog

sam1dog Regular member

Yep thats it. Go to sonystyle.com
    They have two new pc's listed both basically the same for $2250.
    You can get one with xp pro with 400gb for the same price as the one as best buy. I'm waiting to they drop to around $1500. I thought the days of paying $2000plus for a pc is over. I guess I was wrong. My last three pcs have always been the lastest sony's out when I purchased and they were never above that. Plus I was thinking I'm not really sure I want the very first blu-ray burner. Maybe it will have some problems or maybe. Plus the sony pc should AT Least have 500 gb by now. Not 300gb at or so. Plus do you really think that BFG GeForce is any good? Sony's have always been known for giving out pretty low end graphics card.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2006
  11. Spenman91

Spenman91 Regular member

Yea around $1,500 is about all I wanted to spend on a new computer too. I know what you mean though, I'm not sure I want the first Blu-Ray burner either. But I'm not just limiting myself to getting just a Blu-Ray drive, because if HD-DVD is alot cheaper thats probably what I will buy. I don't think I'm even going to get that Sony PC. Unless something changes here is the route I'm taking.

This is the computer http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...CategoryId=pcmcat60700050019&id=1149204270302

The Graphics Card http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7754423&type=product&id=1141762764249

And I'll probablly get the Blu-Ray or an HD-DVD drive.

Unless you have something against HP or just want a Sony (which is fine) I think this is just as good of a PC as the Sony. It has the same processor, I'll be changing the graphics card, it has more HDD (500 GB), and the same amount of RAM. Oh yea, and it's alot cheaper even after you buy the new graphics card and Blu-Ray Drive, $1,165.

But yea it should have alot more HDD especially since it's a Media Center PC and top of the line at that, but another advantage with the HP is that it has the Media Bay so if 500 GB wasnt enough you could easily slide in another 400 GB.

And I do think that its a really good graphics card for a Home Theater PC, you might want a better one if you wanted an extream gaming PC or something, but I dont know alot about graphics cards so you might want to check with somebody else.

12. sam1dog

sam1dog Regular member

I'm sure the Hp is just as good if not better then Sony. Thanks for the link. That also seems like a good route to take. I'll probably just wait and see how the blu-ray burer pans out. I have a Toshiba HD-DVD player right now and I don't have a blu-ray player yet.(Ps3). Take Care

13. Spenman91

Spenman91 Regular member

Yea I want to wait too, thats why I hope they have it sorted out by around the hollidays. But if they don't it's not going to be good for me becuase thats going to be my present for the hollidays, and I would like to have a computer that last a while without becoming outdated really badly. I have a 360 so I'm planning on getting the external HD-DVD drive for it when it comes out, from what I hear you can use it on your computer also. But I want to get a PS3 when it comes out after stores actually start having them in stock.

14. skater685

skater685 Regular member

ohh crap,i'm gonna wait till that price reaches about 150 before i buy one

15. Spenman91

Spenman91 Regular member

Well normally I wouldn't be stupid and go spend that much on something that is brand new and could have alot of problems but, I need a new computer really bad so I'm getting one around the hollidays and I would like to be able to buy it and not have to upgrade it with HD-DVD or Blu-Ray drives just a month or 2 after I get it. Thats why I want it already built in or go ahead and upgrade as soon as I get the computer.

16. rdmercer1

rdmercer1 Active member

just a heads up if anyone needs burning software that supports bluray ashampoo burning software does and that would be version 6, my self i use ashampoo for burning a lot, so if anyone did not know this software did support it ok happy burning and have a nice day

17. Spenman91

Spenman91 Regular member

I'm pretty sure I herd that Nero also supports it, I could be wrong though. Oh yeah it also supports HD-DVD too (if it's true).