1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New to Blu Ray ripping

Discussion in 'Blu-ray players' started by Teke406, Nov 25, 2009.

1. Teke406

Teke406 Member

I am sur ethis has been answered but I have looked and can not seem to find an answer I can understand. I have an LG BD writer. I have AnyDVD HD. I am trying to figure out how I can rip my Blu Ray movies to my HDD so that I can watch them from the HDD. I also would like to back them up to a BD-RE but do not know what software I need for the burning process. My LG BD writer came with the basic Power DVD suite. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also please remember to treat me like a child as I am having trouble changing my mindset from DVD to Blu Ray processes.

2. Ogilvie

Ogilvie Guest

Right click anydvdhd system tray icon and select "rip video dvd to hard disc". If the resultant file will fit on a blank bluray, then your all set. If not use BD rebuilder to decrease the size. Burn with IMGBURN set to udf 2.5

for more info try the sticky: "The complete HD (Blu-ray/HD-DVD) back-up thread" which is the first sticky on the bluray forum page.

3. Teke406

Teke406 Member

ok I have ripped the movie to the hdd now how do I play it. What file am I lookin for and what folder is it in. I have my pc hooked to my lcd tv via dvi. And my audio is run through onkyo receiver via optical out so I just wanna run it from hdd first

4. BobJin

BobJin Guest

I think you need a bluray player to watch.

5. Ogilvie

Ogilvie Guest

If you have a decent graphics card you can use Media Player Classic Home Cinema edition with DXVA enabled.

I cant remember exactly, and i am at work so i cant check but the file your looking for is an M2TS file. I think its in BDMV\STREAM\xxxx.m2ts.

6. Teke406

Teke406 Member

I have a 9800 gts 1 gb superclocked vid card. I have a blu ray writer/rom with the power cinema suite with blu ray support. I have been at family's house all day will look for mt2s file when I get home thank you

7. Ogilvie

Ogilvie Guest

Power DVD will not play Blurays off of the hdd, only discs.

8. Teke406

Teke406 Member

can you recommend a player that will work

9. Ogilvie

Ogilvie Guest

As previously stated try Media Player Classic Home Cinema edition. With FFdshow installed and DXVA enabled in MPC-HC there is not much you can not play.

10. mikewo

mikewo Member

Sothink HD Movie Maker is a powerful Blu-ray burner. It can convert any videos to High-definition (HD) Blu-ray movies and burn into DVD or Blu-ray Disc. Almost all kinds of videos are supported by HD Movie Maker including WMV, MKV, AVI, DivX, XviD, MPEG, MP4, QuickTime Movie, Real Video, H.264/AVC, M2TS, etc, which can be coded to the high definition videos and be viewed on Blu-ray players (including Sony PlayStation 3).

You can see detail in here: http://sothink-hd-movie-maker.kooksoft.com

If you inserested in it, here is a step by step guide about how to use it
    http://sothink-hd-movie-maker.kooksoft.com/guide.html

I hope this may help you.

11. emugamer

emugamer Regular member

Why do you want to back up your blu ray movies to a BD-RE? They cost $15/25GB disc, making it the least cost effective option. Especially since blu rays are not easily scratched by regular usage. Even used, BD-RE's are $8.00. Just cruious.

You're better off buying a 1TB external HDD just for movie storage. You can pick one up for under $100, and once you master the encoding process, you can backup over 100 movies, depending on the quality of encode you shoot for.

As for playing off your HDD, look into encoding. This will reduce your 20+ GB ripped m2ts to a more reasonable size for storage. In some cases, you can create a transparent encode at half the size of the source. Also make sure all of your codecs are up to date. A while ago I was having trouble playing my backups with Media Player Classic. It wasn't recognizing the TrueHD audio stream. I alternatively downloaded the lates Combined Community Codec Pack with VLC player and it worked fine.

I hear ya about it being difficult to find an answer. It can get confusing and I still come across speed bumps. There are some great threads and responses in this section, but they are not always easy to follow.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2009