1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New to DVD burning

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by wendy44, Dec 27, 2004.

1. wendy44

wendy44 Guest

I just ordered a NEC ND-3500A burner. Unfortunally, I have never had a DVD burner. It is coming with XPRESS burning software and I will be using it with Windows ME. If need be I can also use it with Windows XP. (2 computers)

Can someone tell me if there is any other software I will need before I get into trouble using this burner?

Like I said this is all new to me, so any assistance is very welcomed!

2. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Hello wendy44, You said you nec 3500a is packaged with xpress. Is this nero express?

If it is nero express, then you just need dvd shrink .

Nero express 6.0 + and dvd shrink allow me to compress those huge dv-9 original dvd's to fit on 1 standard dvd,or not compress to fit on a dual layer disc.

Dvd shrink is free and the guides are here also to use this high quality program.

You can even download the dvd decrypter , free, here at ad. This is a powerful ripper and also has a burn engine that can be used with dvd shrink.

The best part of dvd shrink besides the cost, is the extra quality enhancements you can perform on those large movies. It takes longer, but well worth it.

I don't know much on how effective it works with M.E.

Follow the guides,burn slow, and the most important part of the process is the media. High quality media will save you from lots of problems,especially when you play your backups on your stand alone players.

There is lots of info here at AD as well as free tools,where to buy the good media when they are on sale and which ones to stay away from.

Good luck when your burner arrives.

3. wendy44

wendy44 Guest

Thanks for the information, it sounds pretty easy. The software is DVD X COPY XPESS. If I remember it is just a trial. In the long run I will proubly be using nero.
    I will make sure I get the two programs you suggested.

Thanks again!

4. hursty

hursty Active member

if you download dvd shrink & dvd decrypter and plan to use them together,(which is very easy),a common mistake people make is that they dont disable "enable burning with nero"
    follow these steps for perfect easy dvd burning
    1.open up shrink...click on EDIT>PREFERENCES>TARGET DVD SIZE TO CUSTOM.ENTER... 4360MB(this is because an actually dvd blank is not 4.7gb).
    2.EDIT>PREFERENCES>FILE I/O>UNTICK "BURN WITH NERO"
    3.open up DVD DECRYPTER click MODE>ISO>TICK WRITE.
    4.that is everything set.
    5.place in dvd movie,open up SHRINK
    6.open DISC.SELECT DRIVE..(MAKE SURE FULL DISC IS DEPRESSED)untick anything you dont want to copy..the more you "untick" the better as this will make the original less compressed,providing better quality.
    7.click BACKUP.the movie will be analized.then encode onto your hardrive
    8.when finished DVD DECRYPTER will automatically open up.check destination is ok,check write speed is ok.(the file you just shrank should already be listed.)
    9.click on DISC symbol.job done.file will burn.

5. wendy44

wendy44 Guest

Well, that sounds pretty easy. When I get the burner I am sure I will be back for more assistance, as I have never used one before!!

Thanks for your help!

6. BLISTERRR

BLISTERRR Member

Hey I'm new round here too...........
    some of the help people are giving is cool baby real good stuff.........I've just been reading all the stuff out there.
    I think it's a little tough for anyone.....with all the different prog's out there and everyones got their fav's and it's the best.
    Everyones system is diff so what works for me might have another person ready to give there devil machine a drink of water.........so you just gotta read heaps, try lots of things and ASK QUESTIONS in these forums......thats why I'm here finally.
    Doin' my first AVI....I wanna put it to disk for stnd alone DVD plyrs.
    Got SHRINK,DVD DECRYPT, WINAVI, TEMPENC, IFO EDIT, DVDSANTA(YUK),VIRTUALDUB&MOD, NERO AND I think there's more.
    anyhow I've ended up with some VOB,IFO,BUP files on my HDD and I want them on a disc(for my stand alone plyr)Think I done it before some how but beh????
    What prog will finish the job??
    Do I need to author the files first then burn????