1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New to linux!

Discussion in 'Linux - General discussion' started by lecsiy, Aug 2, 2006.

1. lecsiy

lecsiy Regular member

Hey,

I have 2 harddrives. A IDE harddirve (160Gb) And a sata II harddrive (120gb).

So what im going to do is transfer all the data from my old IDE drive to the sata drive. So the sata drive will be using Windows and will be my main harddrive.

Then im going to partition the old IDE hardrive and partition it to:

1/ 40gb partition
    2/ 120gb partition

Il be using the second partition as data storage for my windows.

Then il be using the second partition to for my first tme ever installing linux. Will this work?

If it will can someone link me to a good linux distro (Is "distro" the right word??) lol!

Also if it helps i want a 64bit linux. Also it needs to be free. And also lol i want to use it for learning about linux etc...

My system specs are in my sig if you need them!

Thanks soooo much for any help
    Lecsiy!

<<Edit>>

Ok i just checked into a local newsagent. They were selling a linux magazine and i was like what the hell. So i got it :).

Ok so apparently theres versions of linux on the dvd. So i launch the dvd and go to the linux tab and theese options come up. Which one would i be using:

The first one is:

AUSTRUMI 1.2
    Linux & OpenSource
    Linux distributions are getting too obese, often shipped as a DVD distribution. AUSTRUMI is a business card size (50MB) bootable Live CD Linux distribution. Imagine the ability to boot your favorite Linux distro whether you are at home, at school or at work.
    Requires: Intel x86 computer

The second one is:

Knoppix 5.01
    Linux & OpenSource
    Bootable Live system on CD or DVD, consisting of a representative collection of GNU/Linux software, automatic hardware detection, and support for many graphics cards, sound cards, SCSI and USB devices and other peripherals. Can be used for the desktop, educational CD or rescue CD.

The third one is:

OpenSuSE 10.1 Live DVD
    Linux & OpenSource
    Community program sponsored by Novell. Promoting the use of Linux everywhere, this program provides free, easy access to the world's most usable Linux distribution, SUSE Linux. OpenSUSE delivers everything that Linux developers and enthusiasts need to get started with Linux. Hosted at opensuse.org, the project features easy access to builds and releases.

And finally the fourth one:

Ubuntu 6.06 Dapper Drake (Live CD)
    Linux & OpenSource
    Operating system that starts with the breadth of Debian and adds regular releases (every six months), a clear focus on the user and usability (it should "Just Work") and a commitment to security updates with 18 months of support for every release. Note that we've included the Live CD with the Install CD next issue.

Is this what i want or do i need to download something...

or am i totally missing something!!

Last edited: Aug 2, 2006
  2. The_Fiend

The_Fiend Guest

First off, i will advise you to stay away from 64 bit linux distro's, because like 64 bit windows, it's still fairly new, and pretty buggy...
    Second, here's a thread with some extensive distribution listings : http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/261246

Now, from you're saying, i get that you want to use that 40 gig partition to run linux, right?
    I'll tell you it's possible.
    But i must caution you that when installing ANY linux, it will install a Bootloader (usually Lilo or GRUB) to your HD's MBR(which is short for master boot record).

Since you are new to linux, you might not want that, so if possible, have the linux installer put the bootloader on a diskette, a USB stick, or some other removable media, so that IF you where to decide to just stick with windows, you could just erase the linux partition and easily remove the bootloader.

Now, my personal reccomendation would be to toy around with some of the live distributions you got on that linux magazine disc, Especially SuSE, Knoppix and Ubuntu, before actually making your first install.
    Since live distro's don't install, this will make for some safe exploration of linux, and it will give you a good idea of what you're getting yourself into *something a LOT of people underestimate*.

If you have any other questions, ask them here.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 2, 2006
  3. lecsiy

lecsiy Regular member

Right when i click one its like a rar so what do i do extract it then what??

Is it like microsoft do i make a boot cd??

Or and are thoose actuallys Os'es or are they add ons for os'es what are they.

Why cant linux be simple lol!!!

Sorry to be a newbie to this all. Hopefully soon il be answering quetsions lol! We all start here at some point right?!?!

lol Thanks for your input so far!

4. lecsiy

lecsiy Regular member

Ahh wait ive just re reas your post i get what they are now!! There like launchable versions of linux without installing linux or formatting your harddrive to work with linux. Ok so weve got that far thanks for that lol!

Sooo where do i find the real thing? The real installer for the real linux and the real formatter for the real linux file system??

Thanks again
    LEcsiy

5. The_Fiend

The_Fiend Guest

Well, each distribution has it's own website, i suggest you use google to find some of them, or read that thread i linked to, as it has a huuuuge number of sites listed.

6. lecsiy

lecsiy Regular member

Can you recommend a good one??

But i dont want one of thoose easy to use type things i just want a real linux to play with!!

LEcsiy

7. lecsiy

lecsiy Regular member

Ok new problem lol arnt i just the best!!!

I cant boot from my Cd drive its just not letting me im getting a:

ERROR BOOTIING FROM SYSTEM DRIVE or something like that.

So is linux still a possibility even though i dont even have a removable device??

Lecsiy

<<edit>>

Sorry to be a total bugger but:

Im gonna download this for when i install linux:

Which one do i download the x86 the x86-64 or the ppc???

Thanks a lot!

8. The_Fiend

The_Fiend Guest

OpenSuSE is one of my favorites as far as ease of use goes, otherwise, there's Fedora Core, and Debian.
    As for distro type, you'll probably need the X86, judging by those specs, or PPC...
    And like i said, steer clear of 64 bit distro's !

9. lecsiy

lecsiy Regular member

ooo poo lost the download link i was on lol!

Well now i know thats gonna take me hours to find again :(:(:(

But thank you for all your help and hopefully when i get my new harddrive tommorow il be rpelying over linux!!!

Lecsiy

10. lecsiy

lecsiy Regular member

Ahh i think i found a new one is this what im looking for:

http://en.opensuse.org/Released_Version

Scroll down to the download version!!

Lecsiy

Also i forgot to ask will this one let me install the boot loader thingy to a cd or something??

Lecsiy

11. tocool4u

tocool4u Guest

Every install disk comes with a bootloader option.

12. lecsiy

lecsiy Regular member

Right so basically whatl happen is on this new 40gb partition il install linux by using the boot cds (If that works) it will then say were to install il say the 40gb partition. Then it will install it all and then ask for the next cd throught all 5 cds. It will then in some way say were would you like to load the boot loader and i can say the CD. Will it write it to cd automatically???

Thanks!

13. The_Fiend

The_Fiend Guest

It cannot be written to cd, only to a floppy, USB stick (or other removable storage) or to your HD's MBR.

14. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

not overriding what my buddy The_Fiend's saying about 64-bit distro's, just adding my five pence (i haven't used Suse nor Ubuntu yet btw). I use Mandriva 64-bit on my HP laptop (AMD Turion 64 cpu with 1GB RAM) as my main PC/main Operating System and it's awesome (for me), rock solid, as is the wireless networking too. However try out the guys' suggestions first, you can always try other stuff later

15. The_Fiend

The_Fiend Guest

Be glad creaky, i tried SuSE 64... it was horrible...

16. lecsiy

lecsiy Regular member

Cool maybe when ive got everything working il try a 64 bit distro.

Ok this might be the most newbie question youve ever heard..or not.. but here goes lol

Can you play games like battlefield 2 on linux??

Do you need like a specialy made gime like a mac does.

Sorry for being a newbie at all this!

17. The_Fiend

The_Fiend Guest

Some games come with native linux clients, some games can be played by using WINE *google it*, and some can't be played at all.
    That's the price you pay for using linux.

18. tocool4u

tocool4u Guest

Another program is Cedega(I think that is what it is called) Which is used more than wine for playing Windows platform Games.

19. lecsiy

lecsiy Regular member

Ahh poo the harddrive i bought was faulty :(:(

O i ment to ask i have a 450W Psu

My Graphics card is an X1800GTO. It takes up a hell of a lot of power :(

When i plug in my harddrive my system fails to post or even turn on. It turns on for like a second fans start spinning for literally half a second and then stop again. Without the harddrive it posts and everything is fine. Could that be possibly be a PSU power shortage??

If so please reply ASAP because im gonna be sending that harddrive abck as faulty. And getting a new one tommorow so if its not faulty im down 100 quid and i have to get a new PSU.

Please reply ASAP

Lecsiy

20. DMW

DMW Regular member

Unplug some of your ohter gear to find out, ie other hard drive and opticals. If it still hangs Id guess it's the drive.

As for games, unless it has a native Linux client then as TooCool says you are best off getting Cedega. It has regular updates(at a cost) and a helpful website/forum.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2006