1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New to this DVD burning thingy...

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by n2myharly, Feb 24, 2005.

1. n2myharly

n2myharly Guest

I am brand new to this dvd burning thingy.. I am currently using 1click dvd burning software along with dvd43free encryption software and have no problem burning copies with 1 drive on my laptop.. Basically it reads, decrypts and compresses the dvd to a temp file then prompt me to place writeable data.. the entire process takes about 1 hr to burn a dvd.. I just bought a usb (mad dog) burner to match up with my laptop.. it come with nero software.. I have been told that i can burn from 1 drive to the other.. im guessing that i need dvd+-RW media to do this because there is no compression of files when you copy from drive to drive?? pls give me somr feedback.. I am anxious to learn. thanks Bryant..

2. scf_au

scf_au Regular member

Dear n2myharly,
    With Nero, you can indeed burn from drive to drive, among other choices (e.g. burn to Harddisk, burn to same drive, burn to image recorder). People who like to play it safe would burn to hd first, check, then burn to disc. In any case, as Nero would ask for a place on the harddisk to store the temporary files during the process, you really don't have to worry about the compression thing. However, you are right to use RW to test out the new thing first, no coasters.
    Happy DVD burning!

3. n2myharly

n2myharly Guest

I have been reading postings and playing with several different softwares tonight.. i think im correct when saying that there is no fast way to burn a DVD??? I average about 45mins to an hour each time.. Most dves seem to be larger than 4.7 gig and needs to be compressed.. Is there any way to burn on the fly?? ive heard of peolple only taking 15 mins to burn a copy of a dvd.. I have spent alot of money for a 2nd drive to burn dvds on but havent figured out yet how to burn without compressing data or burning to my hard drive.. I feel so stupid right now!!! Please help!!!

4. dlc2000

dlc2000 Regular member

the only way to burn without compressing is to burn to a double layer dvd . alot of the newer movies are double layer today which take longer to copy because of the size of the movies . single layer movies or shorter movies take less time to back up . if you want to do 1.1 backups than you will need double layer burner and double layer media . the media is costly right now so most of us are still compressing our movies until the prices on double layer media come down .

5. n2myharly

n2myharly Guest

Ok.. I have talked to several people now and im sure that I am burning DVd's with the same software as everyone else.. Im still having a problem with speed.. it takes me close to an hour to brun a dvd.. I have spoken to others and compared software and im on the money with that part of it .. the only true difference im beginning to see a difference between my hardware and others is that my burner only had 2mb of buffer.. others have 8mb... is this my speed issue ?? can something be done to increase the buffer form 2mb to 8mb possibly ?? is this even the issue?? im stumped here .. Why is it taking me an hour to burn a dvd???? my new laptop is a compaq 2.8ghz with 512mbsdram and a 60 gig harddrive with a built in dvd burner .. i also bought a mad dog external burner so i could burn from drive to drive .. the problem is with nero,click1,or dvd shrink it still taking close to an hour to burn a dvd.. My laptop is state of the art.. im guessing the burner installed with 2mb buffer is my issue?? please help!!