1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New to VIDEO_TS folder!

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by janlafata, Jun 7, 2009.

1. janlafata

janlafata Regular member

I've always just burned AVI's to disc, but now I have a ripped movie that exported as a VIDEO-TS folder with all of those VOB IFO And BUP files and I don't know how to burn them onto a DVD as easily as I did with AVI. Which file or files do I use to burn a project? I use ConvertXtoVD. Will that do it?

2. mistycat

mistycat Active member

Just use ImgBurn (free) to put your folder on DVD, very easy to use. That's assuming the VIDEO-TS is in the proper region, PAL or NTSC. In that case, you would need to reencode in ConvertXtoDVD.

3. janlafata

janlafata Regular member

I goofed up what I was trying to say. Since it sounds like ImgBurn will burn that folder directly to DVD, and that's ok, I'd rather know how to convert that folder to an AVI, so that I can then burn it through ConvertX

4. mistycat

mistycat Active member

Have a look at Auto GK: http://www.autogk.me.uk/ (free), allow's custom or default avi size. Using it right now, as a matter of fact. Wish it had some kind of progression bar though. Edit: ConvertXtoDVD will burn it for you, no need for avi.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2009
  5. MysticE

MysticE Active member

Just drag/drop your VIDEO_TS.IFO file into CXD.

6. jony218

jony218 Guest

Nero can also burn the video_ts files to a dvd. When I have a video_ts folder I just burn them with nero/burn dvd video files
    You just drag the folder to nero and it will set them up automatically for you.

Never burn them as "data" files because they won't play on some standalone dvd players.

7. janlafata

janlafata Regular member

I do have Nero, but not installed right now. One thing about the whole video_ts folder, in general. Mistycat was saying that ConvertX, which I have installed, will also burn the DVD for you if you just drop that folder in.

I tried that, but this particular rip had a bunch of extras on it and when I imported it into ConvertX, it only showed as Chapter 1, 2 etc, but it did not say what those actual chapters were in text.

In other words, like on the DVD, it listed the movie, then special features, then this and that etc, but because I didn't know what was what when I imported it into ConvertX, I could not rename the chapters accordingly.

Another thing is, I counted, like 11 special features and other "menus", I guess you would call them, on the DVD but when I imported it into ConvertX it only showed 10 listings, so you can see where I got confused, which happens a lot actually!

8. mistycat

mistycat Active member

ConvertXtoDVD will burn the movie but no extra's except sub's and its own chapter's. Just open your file in ConvertXtoDVD and select one of the vob's containing part of the movie (should be around .99 G) and add it and ConvertXtoDVD should ask to add the rest of the movie. The time should be showing the total length of the movie after, just convert but the extra's will be gone and you will be reencoding the file, selecting action (top), burn an already converted project should burn the movie as well as Nero and ImgBurn will and keep all the extra's. ConvertXtoDVD has its own menu and doesn't import one. Never actually burned a folder in ConvertXtoDVD that it hadn't created and no need to reencode unless wrong region, ImgBurn is the way to go if just burning it, very easy and self explanatory, "write file's/folder to disc", won't be data. But, again, be sure the region is ok or you won't be able to view and will have to reencode first.

9. janlafata

janlafata Regular member

So what are some alternate methods where one could rip then burn the entire DVD? I've just installed Xilisoft DVD Ripper Ultimate, though I've yet to do a test run on it yet.

I do see that it will actually burn everything (at least I think) into a DVD file for you. I've also used Magic DVD Ripper before and that's the program that created that Video folder for me.

It also will crate an AVI file for you but I haven't figured out yet just how to make it copy the whole DVD, extras and all and onto an AVI. I've done it once before, but can't remember what I did to make it work. I also have to figure out how then to shrink the AVI file so it could fit on a blank disc.

10. mistycat

mistycat Active member

Far as I know, avi will never keep any extra's and an avi is already a compressed VIDEO_TS that need's to be uncompressed by encoding or burnt as data to be viewed on a DIVX player. Old but good guide, DVDFabDecrypter now DVDFabHDDecrypter and FixVTS easier to use: http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/334154 A couple of other's are AnyDVD (to break encryption and rip) and CloneDVD (to shrink and burn) (neither free): http://www.slysoft.com/en/ or combination of these. Edit: not familiar with either of the program's you mention but ImgBurn will burn that folder provided it will fit to the DVD you use.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2009
  11. janlafata

janlafata Regular member

What is the best way to shrink an AVI? AutoGK or DVDShrink? The DVD I want to copy is like 7.5 GB's in size and I need to shrink it down to blank DVD size.

12. janlafata

janlafata Regular member

Actually I goofed up that question...Guess I haven't been explaining myself correctly. As I mentioned, the DVD that I want to rip is like 7.5 GB's in size, obviously too big to put on a standard DVD. So once I rip it into a video folder I need to compress it to fit. As it is now ConvertX will not do anything with it in that size.

13. mistycat

mistycat Active member

DVD Shrink for your VIDEO_TS folder and probably Auto GK to make it an avi but you won't have any extra's and I'm sure there would be a quality hit once converted to DVD; in that case I'd get a DIVX player and burn as data. Avi seem's like a waste unless you're trying to save space on your drive. ConvertXtoDVD will only let you burn the main movie to fit on a DVD and the quality lost can be substantial or negligible depending on the length of the movie. Shrink will let you keep any part's you want and give a quality readout, from what I hear, around 80% is still good. A lot of people will use DVD Rebuilder (free) on any compression under 100% and you could burn to a Dual Layer with no compression, if your writer support's it. I don't use DVD Shrink and I rarely back up a movie but I usually just keep the menu and movie, if I do, and a quality of around 80% seem's fine; if I did more, I'd probably examine DVD Rebuilder closer.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2009
  14. janlafata

janlafata Regular member

Like Wow!...I just had to share this with both of you who helped me. I found a program that did everything I wanted. It's called Magic DVD Copier. It's from the same people as Magic DVD Ripper: http://www.magicdvdripper.com/dvd-copier.htm

The program is nice and simple too, just the way I like it. I just inserted my movie in my DVD Burner and a blank in my other DVD burner and hit copy. The only setting I had to change for the project before I started was to go into the compression tab and check it to always shrink down to fit a 4.7 GB disk.

And it did that for a 7.5 GB movie perfectly too and copied everything...movie, special features and all.

Very cool!

15. mistycat

mistycat Active member

That's great but if that's a trial, DVD Shrink (or Clone DVD-not free) will allow the same. 7.5 G compressed to fit a 4.3 G DVD is quite a bit if something isn't removed but it come's down to personal preference.

16. janlafata

janlafata Regular member

Yes it is a trial but I was able to get the full version. I agree, compressing that much is a stretch, but when I played back the finished copy I really did not see any noticeable difference in quality from the original.

17. janlafata

janlafata Regular member

I was just wondering about Auto for shrinking AVI's. The first thing I noticed is what you said about no progress meter. So how do I know when a project is done?

Also, I have about a 2 hour AVI that I want to compress a little. Would it take about 2 hours to re-encode?

18. janlafata

janlafata Regular member

What I mean was "I was just wondering about Auto GK" Also, what is all this other stuff that gets installed when you install Auto GK. Do I need it all? I have DivX, so would I really need Xvid?

19. NRL619

NRL619 Member

Heres a very very simple way to burn the VIDEO_TS folder. Download this freewware program and install it. Then open it, browse for the VIDEO_TS folder, insert a blank dvd disc, and click burn.

I use this program all the time and it's great.

20. mistycat

mistycat Active member

No, a 2 hour avi won't take 2 hour's to reencode but an avi is already compressed so I would imagine quality would go down with size. I doubt you need XVID with DIVX installed, I only have XVID installed and no DIVX. I know Media Player Classic is installed, not needed but very good. I'm not really familiar with AGK but there should be some kind of display in lower left, maybe that show's something. Another you can look at is Alltoavi. Why not convert your avi to DVD, if it's just to keep on your HDD, you shouldn't notice any quality loss unless it was already pretty bad?