1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

new user questions please answer

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by mblue, Apr 10, 2004.

1. mblue

mblue Guest

Have a few questions that I would like to ask. I started out backing up movies using dvdxcopy express that came with my liteon ldw411s. The only problem was that it would only do the movie no menus (like the menus). So I got a copy of their platinum version 3.2.01 or something like that. All was well for a while using memorex DVD+R media untill lately it seems like alot of the movies (~23%) are not playing in my stand alone. So I have moved to using dvd shrink (only done 2 disc at 50/50 here). What I do now is just use dvd shrink to do everything, but sometimes when I hit play from the menu it won't work I can go to the chapters and that works (stand alone or PC). Oh I have verfied with toshiba (stand alone brand) and found out that it doesn't support dvd+r. Guess I was just lucky for awhile getting it to play them. So anyways I have now switched over to sony dvd-r, by the way anyone that reads this staples if having a sale that ends on 4/10/2004 for a 10 pack at 9.94 a box. Now the questions.

1. Should I have used DVD decrypter to rip the entire movie to my hd and not just movie. Then use shrink to reauthor, compress and then back up.

2. Use just shrink cause what happened was a fluke.

3. Forget about it and go back to just getting the movie and no menus.

I think that covers everthing. Rest assure I spent the last 2 days reading through the forum and am still rubbing my head so now I'm posting.

2. viper6699

viper6699 Guest

first thing i would if i were you is buy some some ritek G04 dvd-r.

you can do all you need to do with DVD Shrink and DVD Decrypter. though you wont be able to have working menu's if you use shrink in the re-author mode.

3. jim_dandy

jim_dandy Active member

hi mblue
    hi ya viper,may i just add one more thing.I havent used it myself(dont care bout the menu's) but dvd stripper will do what your asking(if im understanding right) even if you reauthor.Do some thread searching for some more info.
    dvd stripper,like shrink and decrypter are free!!
    good luck and welcome to the club
    blaze on clubbers
    jim

4. mblue

mblue Guest

Okay so basically forget about the menus and go back just the movies? That's the way I'm leaning since that is when all the problems really started for me.

5. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

I've been messing with DVD Stripper for the last couple of days and it works very well.

I ran Final Fantasy through it and removed all the extras and trailers while keeping the menus intact. It's rather time consuming because you need to go through and view each and every (and I mean each and every) bit of the disc to decide what to remove but the results are very much worth it. I'm so in love with this app at the moment :)

It requires that you have DVD Decrypter and IFOEdit (I used .95). You'll need to install a VBR patch from M$ as well.

Here's a guide for an older version, but it'll give you a good idea of what to do:

http://www.dvdstripper.com/

Here's a link to a troubleshooting/info page by the author:

http://www.dvdrbase.com/showthread.php?t=33795

And here's a link to the VBRun60Sp5.exe patch:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=290887

Take your time and read up before you start and you'll be glad you did :)
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG][/small]

Last edited: Apr 10, 2004