1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New video card won't work need help!!!!!!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by qwerty977, Jan 5, 2007.

1. ts1982

ts1982 Member

the fan has come on everytime on the gpu when i start up the computer. after a few minutes that the card is in it shuts down the power. first the screen will completely freeze and then it goes black. a few seconds later the power supply goes off.

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Hmm, if the screen freezes and then goes black (usually with a NO SIGNAL on the monitor shortly afterwards / orange LED) then it's the graphics card crashing. However, the fact that the PSU goes off afterwards tells me that I still think it's a power supply issue. How hot is that power supply getting, and what brand is it?

3. qwerty977

qwerty977 Guest

Im getting the new video card but even though it only has two metal peices to connect to the agp slot it will still work even though my old card has 3 metal peices to connect to the agp slot?

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I'm not convinced it will, because that's one of many factors that states it's for the other type of AGP slot. I'm not sure why BFG have said it's a 1.5V card, because as far as I knew, the new AGP slot with two sections was 0.8V. Either way, the card will run at half speed or worse in that slot, because you definitely have a 4x AGP slot.

5. ts1982

ts1982 Member

well, ive taken the card to my friends and it does the same thing in his comp. he custom builds computers from home. so its got to be a bad card. now the fun of getting it fixed through msi.
    thanks for the help. no more buying products on ebay from just anyone.

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Yep, a lesson hard learnt I'm afraid.

7. qwerty977

qwerty977 Guest

Ok I finally received the new video card from newegg. I placed the card into the pc and the same problem. No picture, full black screen just like the last card. I'm on hold with BFG at the moment so I will see what they have to say since i'm getting the same problem with the new card.

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

You're the one with the 4x mobo? If so, I'm still not convinced that will work.

9. qwerty977

qwerty977 Guest

BFG said that the card should work and after checking the bios of the card he said it won't work with my dell 4300. Now I have to send the card to BFG and they will change the bios of the card so it will work on my computer. Hopefully this will work.

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Wow, that's tech for you. Ah well, best of luck!

11. qwerty977

qwerty977 Guest

Well finally I received the card and it works. The problem was the bios version. Also the power supply works great which cost 25 bucks.
    Thanks for all the help

12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

A $25 PSU? Uh oh...