1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Xbox game in a Modded Xbox, wont play!!!

Discussion in 'Xbox - Backup discussion' started by talkhard, Dec 9, 2007.

1. talkhard

talkhard Member

I have a brand new Xbox game and my modded box has a problem loading and playing the game. My Box has a EvoX chip in it.
    Can anyone help please!!!

2. philzone

philzone Regular member

is prolly a reader issue. the xbox optical drives r shyte! could b a bunk game 2. Have you tried it in ms bios?

3. talkhard

talkhard Member

Sorry to ask this, but is MS Bios the original booting screen, with the green X ? If so, then yes I have.
    The details on the problem I am having is I am getting the dirty or damaged disc error. like i said, the game is brand new.

4. Demon1337

Demon1337 Guest

could be a diskdrive error. Have you tried other -nonbacked up- games? A friend of mine has the same issue we think his drive went out

5. talkhard

talkhard Member

Sorry i wasn't clear. The game is a new, store bought game not a back up copy. I realize that this is a back-up dicussion board but i really didn't know where esle to post this. Thanks
    I have another original Xbox, (not modded) and i was thinking of switching the disk drives with the Modded xbox, whaddya think?

6. varnull

varnull Guest

7. talkhard

talkhard Member

Again, I'm sorry for not being clear. I have 2 boxes. One is modded and one is not, but doesn't work either. I'm not sure what is wrong, but i don't think it is the disc drive. I was thinking of swapping the disc drive out of the modded box with the one from the not-working box, Is this worth a try ?

8. talkhard

talkhard Member

To answer your question Varnell , I get the error Cannot play disc, it may be dirty or damaged. meanwhile the game is brand new.
    Is this something that happens with modded xbox's? Cannot play new discs?

9. philzone

philzone Regular member

happens all the time. xbox optical drives are shyte! most wont even read cds! Chunkhead has good tutorials on how to replace it with a better drive. Is well worth it!

10. varnull

varnull Guest

You can try swapping the dvd drives.. And then if no improvement it can't hurt to follow the guides on llamma.com and have a go at tinkering with the laser.

I tweaked a thomson laser pot 3 years ago for somebody with exactly your symptoms.. and it's still going strong to this day.

Samsung drives.. If it says 605b on the top seem to go on and on.. mine both work well, with only an occasional q-tip treatment, so I wouldn't say these dvd-rom drives are exactly crap...

Then we come to philips drives... the day they stop reading is the day they head for the trash in my workshop. *giggles @ worst drive quality I have ever seen.

11. talkhard

talkhard Member

Ok, i will try some of whats on that llama site, thanks.
    I will come back and let you know what drive I have and what was the rememdy.
    later

12. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

Do all your other games play fine? I'm leaning towards a bad disc on this one guys...

What's the chance of having two bad drives?

13. talkhard

talkhard Member

Hey guys,

I had a second gen Xbox that was not modded, but there was something else wrong with it, not too sure what but it won't work.
    I also have a modded Box and I was gettting Dirty or Damaged disc errors on that one.
    As it turns out, I tried swapping the disc drive out of my original Box with the Modded Box and it works fine now. The disc drive that was in my Modded box was a no-name and the one in the other one was a Phillips.
    Anywho, it works great now, no reading errors.
    thanks again for your help

Last edited: Dec 22, 2007
  14. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

Glad to hear it! It will most likely have a brand, you can tell by looking at the holes in the disc tray!

Refer to my tutorials for a picture of all of them!

;)

15. varnull

varnull Guest

I would guess swapped a philips for a philips.. the sudden crap out is a symptom with them... replace the laser and the rest of the drive dies within days :lol:

No label on the faulty one probably means somebody has been at it before sometime.. again a pretty sure sign of a philips.

To talkhard.. If you fancy having a play with it, and your old drive is a philips I have a good laser you can have if the postage isn't too much.. from the drive which has gone out completely.. I know the laser is good because it was swapped out of a working box ..some of these philips lasers happen to read cd-r, and that was the reason.

PM me if you are interested.. FREE.. no charge because it's this time of year ;)

16. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

Nice bloke... you'll be on my Xmas list next year!

;)

17. zionad

zionad Member

I have a similar problem as the original poster, except that my xbox just randomly stopped reading xbox games. backup or original. It reads cd's and data dvd's no problem but i put in a game and it says empty. restarting the xbox jsut loads the dashboard like there is nothing in the drive. 20min earlier we were playing halo 2.
    anyone else had this problem?

18. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

Is it a Phillips...

19. zionad

zionad Member

yes...

20. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

Read my tutorial\troubleshooter (click my signature). It will explain everything you need to know about DVD drives!

;)