1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newb questions

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by Riskyplay, Jul 20, 2003.

1. Riskyplay

Riskyplay Guest

Ok i have movies i got, i think you can all imagine where from! I encoded the movies using honesttechs encoder then i used tmpgenc to make it mpeg-2. I tried just going avi to TMPGEnc but it didn't work said bad file or something like that! I am wondering if im' loosing quality due to that double conversion, or maybe honestech sucks. Next after i have my mpeg-2 should i conver it into VOB format? ALso wut is best for better quality picture. I have the dvd author to make it vob does this shrink it in size.I am also confused about the difference between mpeg-1, mpeg-2 i converted to mpeg-2 as stated then it said in nero it can't burn it cause dvds dont run in that resolution. GOd i need help im' so confused. AHAa, thanx alot SOme help would be greatly appreciated

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 20, 2003
  2. Labrat

Labrat Regular member

Try Using virtualdub

1. open the AVI in virtualdub
    2. click video - direct stream copy
    3. click audio - full processing mode
    4. click audio - compression. select no compression pcm and click ok!
    5. click file - save as avi, now try the AVI u save with TMPGEnc!

Also Check to make sure you have the right settings in TMPGEnc go to Option>Environmental Setting> VFAPI plugin

Right mouse click on DirectShow Multimedia File Reader and select Higher Priority. Repeat this until it gets to the top of the list.

When you open TMPGEnc, you will get the wizard, you can use this to easily make this. Just choose Svcd or VCD (PAL for europe, NTSC for america). When they ask for the video & audio source, just click browse on the video source and it will automatically load the audio from it.

Click next, and click other settings. Change motion search precision to Highest Quality.

Click next a few more times and TMPGEnc will start encoding.

When its finished, it will be bigger than 800mb so click file - mpeg tools. Click merge and cut.

Click add and browse for the movies you just created with TMPGEnc. When it loads in, select it and click edit. You will see two buttons "{" and "}". Basically mean start and end.

Drag the slider accross to around 80min and click }. Now click OK. Change the file type at the top to Video CD. Now browse for somewhere to put the output 1st split of the file. Click Run.

Now when thats done, thats the movie you will have on the first cd. Click edit again. This time, click the { button where you left off last time. Now drag the slider right to the very end and click the } button.

Click ok - browse for a source to place the output 2nd split. This will be your second cd.

You now need cd writing software. I will assume Nero Burning Rom.

3. Riskyplay

Riskyplay Guest

yeah i have it already split, and so forth i was just wondering ill try the virtual dub, but other then that what you posted make no sense, all i understood was the virtual dub, all that right clicking and crap, sorry i'm a newb

4. Riskyplay

Riskyplay Guest

Actually i did understand most, i think that u helped alot thanx. BUt as to my other questions should i put it in vob? or not

5. Labrat

Labrat Regular member

Sure the Vob DVD Standard will offer you better Video Quality.

Just one thing you will have to Author the Mpeg file you created. You may have the Software for this, but if not I would Suggest Using TMPCEnc DVD Authoring..

6. Riskyplay

Riskyplay Guest

I try using the vitual dub and i take my avi and i try to open it and it says " COuld not locate decompressor for the format (Mp43)Virutal dub requires a video for windows compatible codec to decrompress video. Although i did just straight load my avi, into tmpgenc so its running now and i followed all ur settings
    I still would like to fix this virtual dub thing, thanx
    HELP

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 20, 2003
  7. Labrat

Labrat Regular member

8. ABMone

ABMone Guest

you can use dvd shrink or dvd2one to compress afterwards if dvd author makes it too big for a dvd

yes every time you encode it will lose quality