1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

newbie burning failed at 4x(5540Kb/s

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by mcdm, Nov 17, 2004.

1. bigorange

bigorange Active member

FAT 32 will only handle 4 gig files and NTFS will handle 10 gig files. You want your hard drive at least to have or be partitioned to NTFS. You can leave part of it at FAT32 if that's what it's at and just partition 40 or 50 gigs of your free 70 gigs to NTFS with which to do video work. You don't want to reformat because you will lose everything and have to start over.

Also, a lot of times when you install a new software your PC must be rebooted or as you put it, restarted. This is totally normal and I do it even if it's not required because it seems to give a cleaner install.

Read what I posted earlier about there are 4 things to do to backup a DVD. Understand what it's saying, just don't read it. Then follow the guides(shrink or recode) to the letter. You are getting all confused when there is no reason to be. It's very simple really. Take it one step at a time.

2. mcdm

mcdm Guest

Hi bigorange
    Latest info the good news is I have followed your guide to the letter and I have managed to successfully burn a disc
    The bad news is that it will not play I can see the disc has burnt but when I try to play the disc in my dvd says unknown disc
    When I put the disc in my computer it shows disc is empty
    Today I am buying some ritec discs and will try again tonight
    Thanks for the help
    mcdm

3. brobear

brobear Guest

Go to hardware store.
    Purchase 20 pound sledge.
    Drive home carefully.
    Sneak up on demon PC.
    Nail the sucker before it wakes up.

4. brobear

brobear Guest

mcdm
    On a more serious note, somewhere in the process you're going wrong or missing a step. You even get into media compatibility. You may be right to purchase some good branded media if what you're using is questionable. You may also want to review the steps involved in recording video and some of the things to remember about file size. Here's a prepared newbie selection.

Info for beginners: (I'll mention a few popular programs, but there are others of these types.)
    Backing up factory DVD movies has 3 basic steps and a few things to remember. The steps are 1)Decrypt/deCSS; 2)Encode/Transcode (Fit to the target disc, shrink when necessary); and 3)Burn.

You can have one program that does it all, some programs do a couple of the steps and some only do one step or one step at a time.

Decrypting can be done with driver type decrypters like AnyDVD or with apps such as DVD Decrypter or DVD Shrink.

DVD Decrypter is used to decrypt and rip files to the (HD) hard drive. If DVD Decrypter is going to be used as a burner, 2 important things have to be remembered.
    1)Use the ISO read mode to decrypt and
    2)the file size has to be below 4.37 (GB) gigabytes.
    If the file is above 4.37GB, DVD Decrypter cannot burn the ISO file to a 4.7GB disc. [Note: 4.7 is a retail designation for a disc; the actual size of a 4.7 disc that a computer reads is 4.37GB.] File size is important to know.

DVD Shrink can be used to decrypt and rip to the HD. Normally though, Shrink is used to decrypt a disc, using a temporary file, and transcoding the file in preparation to be burned. Nero isn't part of Shrink, but is the default app that Shrink uses to burn automatically. Shrink can also use DVD Decrypter in ISO burn mode and CopytoDVD can also be used. I suggest Nero, as DVD Shrink is already set to use it.

There are a number of transcoding programs, browsing the forums can get a lot of info on those. It's already been mentioned what they do. Just remember, simply speaking, this step is to prep the file for burning.

There are a number of apps on the market now. Due to laws, most of the popular recording programs now are trancoding and burning programs. These recording programs have to have a decrypter. With a driver type decrypter the program runs as though it was one of the older ripper programs that did everything. With the manual type decrypters the files are ripped to the HD and the file then has to be opened by the recording program.

Burner or recording programs are either incorporated into programs or are separate in recording suites. I mentioned Nero as it is a favorite on many forums and a favorite of mine. There are others.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 2, 2004
  5. brobear

brobear Guest

Now that you've been given some of the things to remember, that file size of 4.37GB is very important to remember on a 4.7 disc.

If you have a Nero program with a serial number (the OEM version) and try to download a trial, what happens is that the trial picks up the serial number and only opens the parts of the program the serial is good for. In that case delete the serial number or delete the program with the serial number before you try to install the full trial.

If your video is properly decrypted and ripped to the HD with Decrypter, in File mode, you can easily use Nero Express to burn the file. That is if the file is 4.37GB or smaller. Over 4.37 you need to use DVD Shrink or Recode2. If you have the full Nero trial downloaded, you have Recode2. If you can't find it, then you did something wrong.

Doom9.org has an excellent manual for DVD Decrypter, you may want to review it. Make sure you are using DVD Decrypter in the right mode. Make sure you are using the right program for the size file you want to record (the 4.37GB guideline). Review the guides for the Nero software at the Nero site. Unless you're having a PC problem, these programs usually function with an extremely low failure rate. There are good quick start guides for DVD Shrink at http://www.dvdshrink.info . They have pictures which make the guides easier to understand.

From your input, I could only figure you have about 70GB hard disc space. Give the brand and model PC; operating system, 98, ME, XP or whatever; how much RAM, what CPU and what speed; what size hard drive and how much free space on the hard drive; what brand and model burner are being used; and what brand media was you using. Download DVDinfoPro (free) and check a disc and let us know the manufacturer of the media, also check the burned disc for errors. That'll give an idea of what you're working with. In the Nero startsmart you have the tool box, open the infotool, under hardware you'll find system specs. Plus the drives will also be listed in the tool info.

6. mcdm

mcdm Guest

Hi brobear
    I have got very frustrated with this so last night I downloaded a trial version of clone 2
    I tried to copy a pre copied film I had two failures (bad media) at the third attempt I
    Re- tried the same disc and it burnt
    When I came to play the disc (unknown disc) was displayed on the screen.
    Well I decided that I have been given very good advice so why not follow it, so today I skipped work for a couple of hours and went and bought some ritec discs, then using clone I copied and successfully burnt a dvd, and it played no problems as yet.
    Tonight I will try Nero and report my findings
    As far as I am aware I have never downloaded Nero trial, I bought the disc and after help and advice I downloaded the updates which took many hours and Recode still does not appear.
    However I told a friend of mine that I was having problems, he seemed shocked that I was having a problem with Nero as it works perfectly well for him.
    (Prior to downloading the Nero updates he suggested uninstalling my version and installing his. When I had finished and tried to use Nero a dialogue box appeared with (known compatibility error viist Ahead software) I uninstalled His version and reinstalled my own, maybe this has something to do with it?
    I have had some success with the virtual memory problem and I seem to have solved this issue. I will write down exactly what I done and post it so that if it happens to somebody else it will help.
    Thanks for the help and advice I will let you know how I get on
    Regards mcdm

7. bigorange

bigorange Active member

mcdm, when you uninstalled your friend's version did you use Nero's clean tools? This makes sure there are no remnants left after an uninstall. It could very well be that his software is messing up yours.

Also, I hate to say this but you HAVE to be doing something wrong, there is no way you aren't getting recode if you are getting the other programs, because it is included with either the program NVE for registered owners, or with showtime, NVE, photosnap, and media home for trial users. Both are in package #2. Compare what you have to these downloads...

Nero trial users 6.6(3 downloads):

http://www.ahead.de/us/neroue-prog.php

Nero registered owners 6.6 (6 downloads, but don't get #3, InCD):

http://www.ahead.de/us/nero-up.php

One last thing, congradulations on finally getting a backup copy to work. BUT(you knew that was coming, didn't ya,LOL), it would behoove you to learn how to use shrink and/or recode because their quality is far superior to Clone DVD if the compression levels are 15-20% or more. Their new quality settings greatly improve their overall performance.

I have Clone DVD 2 and it does fine for lower compression levels and it is easy and relatively fast to use. But for example, you can take a movie that reads say, 15% compression in shrink and it will read 25% compression in Clone DVD.

Don't ask me why, you'd think they would be the same but they aren't. Test it sometime, open a movie with shrink, see what it's compression is, then open the same movie with Clone DVD and see if it's compression isn't higher.

The higher the compression, the worse the quality, plus the fact it doesn't have any quality settings to offset higher compression levels and you can see why it's final product is worse than shrink or recode. I do use it quite a bit tho, if there is no compression because it's so easy and fast to use.

Anyway, let us know what happens, and a step by step of what you are doing would help immensely.

8. mcdm

mcdm Guest

Success at last I tried to copy lord of the rings but clone wouldn’t let me “copyright” so I used decrypter and sent it to shrink. Then some how or other (more luck than judgement) I managed to fit it to one disc and nero burnt it successfully.
    I didn’t use Nero’s clean tools so more than likely have made a mistake the programs you mentioned NVE for registered owners, or with showtime, NVE, photosnap, I’ll look into these and see if recode is there failing that should I use clean tools to uninstall nero will that also uninstall the updates as well?
    More tests tomorrow
    mcdm

9. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Once you ripped it with decrypter you can then use those files with shrink, recode, "Clone DVD", or any other program. That's what ripping is, getting around your copyright problem.

Yes when you uninstall, everything will have to be reinstalled in Nero(or any other app for that matter).

However once the updates are downloaded(which you have already done) it's no big deal to reinstall.

showtime, NVE, photosnap, I’ll look into these and see if recode is there

What I'm saying is if you have ANY of these programs, you have recode, they are all in the same download and install. You can't download and install one without doing it for all. They are packaged together.

Soooo, if you have any of those you have recode, see what I'm saying? Also, the clean tools and reinstall won't give you a program you didn't have, it just ensures that the programs are working correctly when you use them and that the files aren't corrupted by an older program you had installed.

10. bigorange

bigorange Active member

BTW, you still didn't give a step by step of what you did to make a backup, I would need to see that to see if what you are doing is correct, and also to fine tune your process. Don't repeat the guide, actually state what you did :>)

11. mcdm

mcdm Guest

Hi bigorange
    Here is how I burnt a DVD
    I opened decrypter the ISO tab automatically was set to read.
    A file automatically chose a file to save to, I changed the title to I Robot .ISO
    It was 7.391 gig in size
    I clicked on decrypt after a while a dialogue box appeared with operation successfully completed.
    I clicked X to close and removed the disc.

I then opened shrink clicked open file but the file was not there, so I opened my docs (this is where I saved the file) and right clicked- then open with shrink
    Analysing box came into view. I closed my docs window and returned to shrink.
    I removed director’s comments and clicked on main movie.
    I then clicked re-author
    Title 1 = 4.299mb I clicked on backup then selected a backup target, which desktop new folder.
    Space required 4.300 space available 57.454 mb a create video check box was ticked
    I then clicked ok
    The Encoding box showing the film appeared after 20 approx. minutes back up complete I then clicked ok and closed shrink.
    I then opened Nero smart start, made sure that the DVD tab was selected from the drop down box
    I then pointed to photo and image video and clicked burn DVD- video file
    Nero ex press opened and you can add your DVD video files here window opened I clicked add selected the folder I wanted and clicked finish.
    I then clicked on the top item, which was video ts. bup and all the files highlighted.
    I then clicked next and final burn settings window appeared.
    The settings were as follows;
    Current recorder D:DVDRW.UDE 16X (DVD)
    Disc name new, writing speed (I changed this to 1x)
    Number of copies 1
    I then clicked burn a window opened and saying IDE 16X waiting for disc, I put in a disc the burn process started at 4X (5.540kb/s)
    I left the computer alone and after 17 minutes the burn successful box appeared, I clicked on next and the disc ejected and Nero 6 opened with what do you want to do next.
    I clicked exit
    I have realised that that I should have tried the disc in shrink first and maybe I wouldn’t have had to use decrypter and I would not have ended up with two large files, anyway I deleted all the files after I burnt then to disc.
    I am going to use the shrink and decrypter guides to find out why I cannot see the files after I decrypted them.
    I still cannot find Nero Recode 2 but when I clicked get system info tab Nero Recode 2 2.1,1,1,24 is there maybe this is a clue? Also under ASPI tab it says ASPI not installed but if I click on the drop down tab it says Nero ASPI is installed and working correctly.
    Well I’m very happy that at last I can burn a DVD I am more than likely going about it the long winded way and I should read the guides and pay a bit more attention,
    I realise that I should try the disc in shrink first, but unfortunately I have to admit that whenever I get anything new I try it first then read the instructions .I am sure that I am not alone but hopefully someone will read this and learn from my mistakes
    Thanks to everyone for the patience and help
    mcdm

12. vikings04

vikings04 Member

Hey bigorange I have a solution to your problem. I have Nero 6.6.1 but I usually only using for burning cd's. If your trying to backup or rip dvd's I suggest using the program DVD X Copy Platinum v. 4.0.3.8 This program works great. No steps are hard when u use this program. Take a DVD and put it in your DVD Rom drive. Open up X Copy and it will bring up a menu that says simple, advanced, DVD X Rescue, etc. If you are copying a dvd under 4.7 gigs u can use the simple mode. This usually doesn't happen, most dvd's are in the 6 to 8 gig range. Click on advanced. This will bring up a screen that shows chapters. Click all the boxes on the left hand side so they are checked. Push next at the bottom right next. This will show a screen that shows compression. Start the copy and wait. It usually takes about an hour to read the dvd. Then it will ask you to insert blank media in the writing drive. You just need to put the media in the writing drive and hit start. It copies in about 15 to 20 minutes. This program is simple to use and it will compress any dvd onto a 4.7 gig dvd-r. I just prefer the dvd-r. Simple as that. I got the program off limewire because the company 321 studios got shut down by a federal court. This is the only program that I know of that will compress and rip in a couple easy steps.

13. brobear

brobear Guest

DVDCopy3, CloneDVD2, DVD Shrink, Recode2, CopyToDVD, Blindwrite, and InstantCopy are just a few easy apps for encoding and recording DVD. Using AnyDVD along with them makes most of these programs perform better than the 321 software, with similar ease. If not using AnyDVD or a similar type decrypter, the option to use HD files with the programs is still easy.

14. bigorange

bigorange Active member

mcdm, I hate to say this but you didn't even come close to following my shrink guide. No.1-you don't have to open any program but shrink, period. Unless it can't rip the DVD, then rip with decrypter in file mode to a folder you can browse to with shrink and open shrink using "open files".

You persist in trying to read and write with decrypter. Why? Unless the files are under 4.37 it won't work because you can't edit or compress with decrypter. You only need it to burn with shrink, that's it(again, unless shrink can't rip)

I also told you that shrink will automatically burn with either nero or decrypter without you ever having to open either app, shrink does it automatically if you tell it to, which is also explained in the guide and how to do it.

You are using re-author mode which means you don't want a working menu or any extras? By using "entire disc", editing out what exras you don't want with still image, you can keep extras and a working menu to navigate your copy and still have excellent quality using the new quality settings(also explained in the guide).

You are making something simple into something complicated because you are not following the guide.

unfortunately I have to admit that whenever I get anything new I try it first then read the instructions

WHY? We have been going over and over with this and now from what you say and what I see you aren't even coming close to following the guide. I couldn't even make a dvd with what you did. You opened and used 3 apps in various ways and methods that is so twistig and confusing I don't see how it even successfully burned.

You already tried using decrypter to read and write after you said you followed the guide, I had to deduce this from things you said, not because you told me that's what you were trying to do. Now, here you are again doing the same thing again.

Latest info the good news is I have followed your guide to the letter and I have managed to successfully burn a disc

You did not follow the guide even close or you wouldn't be ripping with decrypter in ISO mode. You wouldn't have opened nero and photo and image video. You said you maybe should have opened the disc in shrink 1st instead? That's the very 1st step of the guide! You took out director's commentary and then used re-author mode. Again, why? Re-author mode is movie only, ther is no need to edit anything in re-author mode. Editing comes into play using entire disk mode because you want some or all extras and a working menu.

If you will please do me a favor, and follow the guide step by step, forget everything you have done and think you have learned up to this point. Believe me I want you to succeed at this as much as you do.

I sent you the addy for the guide, I'm gonna go ahead and post it here, please try this from the start, when you have a question about a step, post it and I'll explain it. It's very simple and it doesn't go into more complicated things you can do with shrink. I'm also going to post an addy for an interactive guide that shows step by step, maybe it will help for you to see it in action.

Before you get started, Shrink will automatically open nero or Decrypter to burn so you don't have to open them, however you do have to choose your burner in decrypter if you haven't already....

For Decrypter:

Open decrypter, click on mode, drop down to ISO, across to write and then click on it. Then at the bottom choose your burner you want Decrypter to use.

That's it, close Decrypter, you don't have to open Decrypter anymore.

For nero: you will be choosing your burner in shrink.

OK, here's the shrink guide, follow it to the letter, it's fairly simple:

1-open shrink (see #10)

2-click on open disc, then choose your source video(disc)from your drive/ if you're using files on your HD then click on open files and choose your folder with your source video files.

3-wait for shrink to analyze(about a minute) and the new screen will come up

4-here you can go into extras by clicking on the + mark.

5-You can change compression on each or substitute still image for each until done. Each can be previewed in the preview window below. There is a drop down window on the top right side that has your compression and substitute options.

5a- you can raise compresssion or substitute a still image on all extras at once before you hit the + mark if so desired. By using the still image you maintain a working menu.

6-if you only want the movie and don't care about a menu, hit re-author, when screen comes up click and drag anything from the right side to the left side that you want to keep and then you will go to set up the analyze and burn features.

7-To set up burn w/nero click on edit > preferences > fileI/O > enable burn with Nero. Make sure this is unchecked if you are going to use decrypter or Copy to Dvd to burn automatically.

Also here you can go to stream selections and choose english from both drop down menus, this will eliminate foreign audio tracks that can take up quite a bit of space.

You also pick your DVD size here from the drop down menu. You can also choose custom and type in your size(I recommend 4300 to prevent burning to the edge). I would also recommend default for all other settings in the preferences window.

8-hit backup

9-under target device choose either file to your HD,or your burner. If you wish to burn with decrypter instead of Nero, choose iso image file and burn with decrypter

10-choose your temporary folder/ shrink will create this or you can make one(before you start) and name it and put it where you can find it.

11- under quality settings(I use this if it's over 10% compression,you must make your own choices here, this will take much longer, but is worth every minute!)check deep analysis and adaptive error compensation. Some say extra smoothness delivers the best quality.

12-hit OK and come back to a finished DVD, leave your PC alone, do not do anything on it while performing backup. No multitasking!

I would add that leave menu alone if you want a working menu, and leave movie alone unless there are 2 movie titles, then pick the one you want(fullscreen or widescreen)and substitute a still image for the other one.

if note: If you wish movie and menu only click on extras, and substitue still image, then go to backup and follow directions from step 8.

Here is the interactive guide by Denis.

http://www.dvdshrink.info/guides.php

Let me know how it goes, I refuse to give up,LOL :>)

Last edited: Dec 8, 2004
  15. bigorange

bigorange Active member

vikings04,

I appreciate your intent, but I'm not sure where it's coming from. LOL

Are you talking about helping mcdm?

Actually I have X Copy Platinum and know how to use it, but I don't care for it's quality over 20% compression. I much prefer shrink or recode to X Copy. It has much greater versatility, better quality, and it's FREE!

I try to advise on what people have or recommend something free rather than send them out to spend more money. Actually my favorite apps are RB/CCE, DVD Copy 3, IC 8, and shrink.

However if you intended to help out mcdm, the advice is much appreciated :>)

16. vikings04

vikings04 Member

Sorry bigorange I meant mcdm. On another note I have used x copy platinum for about a year now. I thought that this program with the only true compression feature built in. I downloaded DVD Shrink last night and backed up Dodgeball and Bourne Supremacy in Re author mode. I don't need all those extras and menu's. I only want the movie and besides the picture quality was ten fold over x copy platinum. I have yet to try the other programs you listed but I sure will now. Thanks for the advice. Sorry about the mixup. :)

17. bigorange

bigorange Active member

no problem, glad you like shrink.

18. brobear

brobear Guest

Shrink... 10 times better than XCopy. Since I've used both, I find that sort of hard to believe. XCopy always delivered as good a picture as Shrink. I stopped using XCopy because there were just some movies it wouldn't work with. In case anyone is interested the later versions of XCopy Platinum included a good user guide accessible in the start folder. XCopy was really good for recording movie only with a working menu. Also, I no longer use Shrink. For high compression I use RB/CCE and for most other things I use InterVideo's new DVDCopy3 or one of the Nero programs. Shrink is good freeware, but better is available on the retail market.

Did I mention Shrink is better than quite a few retail offerings? So, watch what you buy.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 10, 2004
  19. mcdm

mcdm Guest

Hi bigorange
    I have followed your instructions regarding setting up dycypter and shrink and closed both applications
    This is how I burnt a DVD
    Step 1
    I opened shrink and clicked on open disc
    I chose the DVD drive and clicked ok a window with analysing came into view.
    When it had stopped analysing shrink reopened and from this window I chose main movie I didn’t want any extras.
    Step 2
    I then clicked backup, shrink then backed up to a folder on my desktop (this was my choice), the program ran its course and a dialogue box came into view informing me that it was successful and a new folder was sent to c/ desktop etc.
    Step 3
    I closed shrink and opened Nero I clicked on burn DVD files and a window came into view with the choice to add or remove files.
    I clicked add and chose the folder I wanted, and then I clicked finished.
    I then clicked next altered the burning speed to 1x and clicked burn
    The disc burnt successfully.
    I did try and say that I realised that I didn’t have to use decrpter for every DVD it just so happened that the first DVD I tried to burn shrink could not do it because of copyright protection, I obviously didn’t type it the way I meant it to
    How I am doing so far

mcdm

20. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Much better!

I do have one question tho. Why did you write to your desktop instead of just letting shrink automatically burn with Nero?

The only time you need to do that is if you want to make more than one copy.

Anyway, congrats! You're finally beginning to see the light. Feels good don't it? :>)