1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie format questions...

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by mats, Oct 26, 2002.

1. mats

mats Member

Hi!
    I'm going to burn my first DVD ever. I don't know what hardware I will use yet, but I've got some questions before I can start:

1. The DVD must be able to play on all DVD's (on a PC, on a PS2, or on a standard DVD player), no matter if it's on NTSC or PAL. Is that possible, or do I have to burn one PAL and one NTSC version? What fileformat do I use?

2. I don't want my DVD to be region locked. Is that going to be a problem?

3. What resolution do I use? The TV standard 720x576 with a pixel aspect ratio of 1.066, or 720x576 with a ratio of 1.0? I must know so that my compositing software will output the right format.

I'd be greatful for some tips on this.
    Mats
    /Sweden

2. mshotrod

mshotrod Member

have you got an answer to this problem? because i would love to be able to play a movie on my ps2?

3. malum

malum Regular member

The DVDs I burn play on PS2. I did nothing special.
    Removing region coding is easy, one click.
    Resolution takes care of itself, it will be the same as the original unless you reencode it differently.

I have a Pioneer A104 and use Nero 5.5 to burn, with DVD decrypter and IFOedit in between

4. mshotrod

mshotrod Member

malum,
    can you kind of give me a step by step instruction on how you ripped your cd that plays in playstation 2? Does it also play in you regular dvd player? Did you convert it from avi to what? vcd? help me please. I'm new at this and would greatly appreciate this.

5. malum

malum Regular member

There are step by steps all over the place mate.

No conversion necessary. Rip the DVD to hard drive using DVD decypter or similar.
    Use IFOedit to strip out extras and split to two discs if needed (I don't re-encode to fit on one, but it is easily done)
    Burn DVD's using Nero 5.5.

All software available here except Nero www.ahead.com

They play in my standalone, but your standalone must be compatible 85% are.

6. mshotrod

mshotrod Member

and they do in fact play on your playstation 2 as well right?

7. HomerJ

HomerJ Moderator Staff Member

mats,

To answer your questions.

1 A DVD cannot play both NTSC & PAL. You will need to have a seperate version of each. However, are you confusing matters by thinking of Region 1 & Region 2 formats ?

2 It is possible to ensure your PC DVD drive is region free. Try something like DVD Genie.

3 720 X 756 is standdard PAL format ( Inote you come from Sweden, so that's what you need to use for home use. For use in the USA use 720 X 480.

What "compositing" software are you considering using ?

HomerJ

8. malum

malum Regular member

I don't have a PS2 but I gave a copy of Monsters Inc to someone else and they played it fine on theirs.

9. mshotrod

mshotrod Member

malum,
    Thanks for responding to me. I went to www.again.com and read it needing a pioneer A03. so my dvd player that came with the computer won't work? I'm just feeling so discouraged and don't want to spend alot of money because I was origally told that it wasn't possible to copy movies off of kazzaa and play them on a ps2 no matter what. So far all I have is a bunch of movie save to kazzaa and don't know what to do next. I have a movie(8 mile) in divx format instead of mp43 and it won't play. I'm so lost that I wish someone could just show me hands on and life so much easier. If already spend 5 days on this and it's driving me nuts.

10. malum

malum Regular member

I don't download movies so I can't help you there. I am talking about ripping DVDs.

You should be able to take a Divx movie and burn it as a VCD using a CD burner and Nero, you may have to convert the format first.
    I don't know if the PS2 plays Vcds, maybe not which is what you are referring to

There is little point in burning it as a DVD as you won't get the quality back that the compression took out.

11. mats

mats Member

Thank you for your answers, HomerJ and malum!

Malum: What I want to ask is what happens if I burn in a resolution of let's say 200x934? I mean I guess it won't play on a standard DVD player with a TV-set? There must be specific formats to stick to, like the ones HomerJ mention?

HomerJ:

1. No, I'm not confusing PAL/NTSC with regions :)

2. Hmm, I'm not talking about my player. I want to make sure that the DVD I burn isn't going to be region locked. Or what to do _if_ I actually want to lock it. Or do you mean that it's dependent on the player/burner itself?

3. Ok, 720x480 is NTSC. That's an aspect ratio of 3:2, but what's the pixel aspect ratio?

Regarding compositing software I will probably use Combustion or AVID DS.

/Mats

12. malum

malum Regular member

I don't see why a lower reslolution wouldn't work on a TV, after all it adjusts for a PAL or NTSC disc.

No DVD you burn will be region locked unless you want it to be.

13. malum

malum Regular member

14. mshotrod

mshotrod Member

thanks for your help. appreciate it

15. HomerJ

mats,
    If you don't know what hardware you are going to use, may I suggest you are jumping the gun a bit.

You seem to be over complicating the issue at present, worrying about various formats and so on. These points are not the most important, when backing up DVDs, and as for "Regarding compositing software I will probably use Combustion or AVID DS." I must say, I've not heard of these. But never mind.

Your point 2 :- region lock. It's quite possible to create a DVD which is region free, no problem whatsoever.

point 3 "pixel aspect ratio". DVDs don't work to this format, which brings me to question your "compositing software". The normal description is "authoring software". Checkout this section in Afterdawn.

I'm getting a bit confused here myself at the moment. I'm not sure if your'e not over complicating matters.

HomerJ

16. mats

mats Member

Thank you for your answers, HomerJ and malum.

I found this forum when looking for help and tips on burning DVD's, but I'm actually not looking for ways to "backup" a DVD.

The reason my quesions may seem a bit off is that I'm going to render out a 3D-project I've been working on for a year. That means I'm making my own movie and I have to know what format to render in. If I make one mistake I may have to render it out again -and as this is rather time consuming (about 1 month on 25 computers) I want to make sure I get it all right from the start...

So, perhaps I'm complicating matters, but at least now you know why :)

(By the way, Avid DS/DV and Combustion are major compositing programs where you put your rendered layers and masks together before exporting them to the right format -which can be MPG, AVI, MOV or whatever. Some other known programs in this area are Adobe After Effects / Premiere, Flint/Flame and Fusion.)

/Mats

17. HomerJ

mats,

Now it makes more sense. I too use Adobe Premiere ver6. I also have After Effects, but not used it yet, but am about to in the next fews weeks.

If you have a serious problem try this site :- www.computervideo.net

There are some serious user there.

HomerJ