1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie frustration...Help Pleaseeee

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by audi73, Jan 17, 2005.

1. audi73

audi73 Member

Hi,

I recently received a burner for xmas. I found this forum and read up on all the different programs I would need to burned DVD. I dl dvdshrink, dvd decrypter, and anydvd. I was able to successfully ripped Mean Girls and Paparazzi. I was thrilled and excited. That was short lived. I rented Hero and Garden State next. The dvdshrink worked great but when I tried to burn them using dvd decrypter....it seemmed to burn great....I did notice the burner would eject the disk after it was completed...Now I cannot view the movie on either my dvd player or on my computer.

Please Help????????

2. bardie

bardie Regular member

So you are saying that there is no data on your burnt disc?

3. laddyboy

laddyboy Regular member

Are you using the same brand of media as before? What is it? At what speed did you burn? Did Decrypter generate any kind of error message? Did you try reducing the filesize for DVD Shrink to guard against burning out to the disk edge where problems sometime occur? Use RW media until you identify the problem.

4. audi73

audi73 Member

I have not changed any of the variables...

I'm using Fujifilm DVD-R disk. I compressed using 4360KB like the one recommended on this forum. I used to burned the DVD at MAX speed but I even reduced it to 2X and no luck. The only thing I did differently on the first two movies was I did not run ANYDVD in the background on the first two movies. I had problem encoding the third movie using DVDshrink so I dl anydvd as recommended on this forum. I even tries to go back and burned one of the movie that worked before, ie Paparazzi, and no luck either. What did I do wrong?

5. bardie

bardie Regular member

This out of my league, sorry.
    Perhaps some other members can answer for me as why you started out ok and now you are having problems.

6. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Try exiting AnyDVD while you are burning with decrypter. Simply right click on the fox and click exit.

7. laddyboy

laddyboy Regular member

I would guess your Fuji media is probably that manufactured by Prodisc. It's not the best but should be OK. I've used it without problems even recently. You didn't mention the brand of burner you have. Is it internal or external? What amount of data is being indicated as stored on the burned DVD? Will the burner read the disk or is it a standalone player that won't read the disk or both? Do you have access to a standalone dvd recorder? They will sometimes read incomplete burns. I'm trying to determine whether any data was actually burned to the disk. Recheck DVD Shrink to see what file size you entered under custom. Do you have any DVD software installed other than Shrink, Decrypter, and AnyDVD such as Nero or Roxie?

Here's what I do when I encounter a problem:
    1. Uninstall all DVD related software.
    2. Go to the WinXP device manager and disable the DVD burner.
    3. Restart the computer.
    4. Restart the computer. (yes a 2nd time)
    4. Reinstall the latest versions of the DVD software.

Also buy (if you don't already have) some RW media to use for testing until the problem is resolved.

8. audi73

audi73 Member

I took your advice and reinstalled all softwares, ie decryptor and dvdshrink, and it now worked perfectly. I think it had to do with anydvd.

I do have another question if you guys/gals don't mind me asking....

I was able to burned Hero fine now. I bought it home from my gf place and was not able to played it on my stand alone dvd players. Both of the players are Sony DVD. I was able to play it on my notebook and my Panasonic portable though. Is there a way I can get it to play on my Sony DVD because that is where my surround system is hooked up to?

thx

9. laddyboy

laddyboy Regular member

How old are the Sony standalones? Are they both the same model? I have a Sony and it plays everything without problems, but it's only a year old. Most newer standalones will play most disks without problems. You can go to www.dvdhelp.com and check to see if your player is listed and what brands of media it likes based on user reports. You may need to try different brands of media to find those that your standalone player likes. Many of the cheaper DVD players also do well in playing burned media.

10. audi73

audi73 Member

Here are the three Sony models and aged:

1. Sony DVP C600D 4yrs old Hero does not played
    2. Sony DAV C90D 3yrs old Hero does not played
    3. Sony SLV D300P 1yrs old Hero does not played
    4. Panasonic DVD-LS5 1yrs old Hero played fine.

The checked with the website above and all the Sony DVD can played DVD-R media. I need the Sony players to worked because that is where I have my surround sound hooked up to. Could it be because I burned Hero w/o using the maximum smoothness on DVDshrink? Could it be the media tapes?

thx

11. laddyboy

laddyboy Regular member

Try a different brand of media and see if the older standalones can read it. You might also try +R or +RW media. Sometimes burning at a slower speed can help. I would try a different brand of media first. Try -RW or +RW so you don't waste media by experimenting. There are a few advantages to using +R media over -R in that I think a DVD-ROM booktype can be set with +R but not -R media. This can help with older standalones recognizing the disk.