1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie Help With Nero Essentials

Discussion in 'Nero discussion' started by OT99, Dec 4, 2007.

1. OT99

OT99 Member

I know you must all be fed up by now with people asking for help with Nero and .avi movie copying to DVD but I have tried reading all the advice on here and read the excellent guides from Gwendolin etc and I can't see what I'm doing thats different from the guides.

I have a copy of Nero Essentials that came with my DVD burner and have some movie files that I downloaded from the web. All the movies are good quality and all play on my PC. The trouble comes when converting/burning to DVD.

My first ever attempt at this went well and Nero essentials transcoded and burnt the DVD (in one go) without any problems and I thought I had it cracked when it played fine in my standalone DVD player. Then it all went wrong.

The next 12 or so attempts have all failed, either an error message comes up saying that there is not enough space on the disk or it fails during transcoding (never at the same point though). It doesn't even get to the point of burning the DVD.

The space message is strange as when I choose the movie file the bar at the bottom appears to automatically move to 4.37GB out of 4.38 for every movie that I put in (to make the most of the disk I suppose).

I'm not currently using the best quality of disks (I was given them with the Phillips 3500 burner which is brand new by the way)so that may be part of the problem but its not getting to the actual burn point so I'm really confused as to why it worked once but not again with the same settings. And if its not getting to the actual burn point is my media choice making any difference to my problem.

I think most of the settings are on automatic and I'm using 1-pass encoding.

Any help/advice would be appreciated as right now I'm feeling pretty useless.

Steve (OT) UK

2. laddyboy

laddyboy Regular member

Try using ConvertXtoDVD or DVD Flick for your conversions. Both seem to avoid the problems that Nero seems to encounter.

http://www.vso-software.fr/products/convert_x_to_dvd/
    http://www.dvdflick.net/

As far as Nero is concerned, if Nero creates a file larger than a DVD5 can contain, you either have to reduce the video bitrate to obtain a smaller target output or create a folder of DVD files or a Nero nrg imag e file with the Image Recorder as the output device and then compress with either Nero Recode or DVD Shrink. For the processing error exception, there really isn't a way around that as the program has crashed. Just use a different conversion program if repeating the conversion results in the same error.